Page 108 of 2104 FirstFirst ... 858981061071081091101181582086081108 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 21037

Thread: Politics Thread

Shame is one thing. Violent protests preventing speech are something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Shame is one thing. Violent protests preventing speech are something completely different.
    You won't hear any argument from me. I agree 100%. There is no place in discourse or legitimate protest for violence, destruction of property, or threats of either. Period. End of Sentence.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I'm an unabashed Aaron Sorkin fan. He's (pretty far) left of me, personally, but damn does he have a knack for the art of the monologue. Apropos of the ACLU discussion, this is one of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/OC2jhQ0KAAU
    Ted Cruz ripping off that speech in attacking Donald Trump was one of my favorite moments of the campaign.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

You won't hear any argument from me. I agree 100%. There is no place in discourse or legitimate protest for violence, destruction of property, or threats of either. Period. End of Sentence.
    Public reps since Trump is holding me down.

Women's March is an example of speech/assembly that I approve of.
    The riots over Milo on Cal's campus are those that I do not approve of, or the riots during the inauguration.

And I think the ACLU would agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    I guess by your logic, all taxes are money "taken by force".
    Yes, obviously. Are taxes optional or are they ultimately enforced by badges and guns?
    Last edited by Strange Brew; 02-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Yes, obviously. Are taxes optional or are they ultimately enforced by badges and guns?
    Wow Just wow.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Wow Just wow.
    Not sure what triggered this response. To clarify tax laws are enforced by Federal agencies and law enforcement (i.e. threat of force. You must pay).

To your other point. I don't hate SS (hope it's fixed and I get back what I was forced to pay in). My point was how people spend their SS check is their business as that money was taken from them throughout their lives. Very different then spending/wasting money collected from other taxes that do not necessarily have a specific purpose. They can be appropriated any way the gov't deems proper during the budgeting process.

All this talk about taxing and protests never being legitimate when property is damaged is making me thirsty for some tea.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Women's March is an example of speech/assembly that I approve of.
    The riots over Milo on Cal's campus are those that I do not approve of, or the riots during the inauguration.

And I think the ACLU would agree with me.
    I'm starting to think Republicans need their own safe spaces. I'm sure this is different though.

GOP finds fix for chaotic town halls: Don’t hold them