Page 1078 of 1102 FirstFirst ... 7857897810281068107610771078107910801088 ... LastLast
Results 10,771 to 10,780 of 11018

Thread: Politics Thread

  1. #10771
    Supporting Member xu82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    10,253
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah this I can agree with. My wife and I got $8,400 for us and our 4 kids. We have no need for that money. I mean it's nice, it will go towards our kids' 529 plans and maybe new gutters that we need, but yeah we had no need for a check of any amount.

    I think part of the reason we even qualified for the full amount was because my wife's practice shut down for a couple months during COVID.
    My son never missed a beat then got a MUCH better gig, the DIL was furloughed briefly A YEAR AGO before finding a comparable job, probably making a little less. All things considered, they are doing great! ZERO reason to be getting handouts. She had unemployment briefly, and that was appropriate.

    This is just ridiculous. How do they justify that? It just looks like buying votes from people who like handouts to me. I honestly find this FAR more egregious than the Georgia voting changes, but it doesn’t get the same scrutiny for some strange reason. Hey, I guess people like handouts and money grows on trees! I guess we are just supposed to smile and say “you’re welcome”.

  2. #10772
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    19,181
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    How exactly is it "unfair" currently? The law in Georgia would make it more unfair for urban voters reducing their access to drop boxes (moving them inside preventing them to be used after hours and reducing the total number).
    Drop boxes were never in Georgia before the pandemic. Never.
    The new law codifies them. They now will always be available.
    That is not unfair. What has happened during and as a result of the pandemic is not, and will never be normal. No one should ever take it as such.

    Meanwhile, to reiterate. Georgia Law was called Jim Crow by Biden because the law requires ID to vote. So does Colorado. GA also has 17-19 days of early voting vs Colorado’s 15. So I guess Colorado is Jim Crow as well by Demented Joe Biden’s definition. I guess it’s a matter of Jim Crow 1 vs Jim Crow 2.
    But congratulations to Major League Baseball on moving to another Jim Crow level state!!
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 04-07-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  3. #10773
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    13,840
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    My son never missed a beat then got a MUCH better gig, the DIL was furloughed briefly A YEAR AGO before finding a comparable job, probably making a little less. All things considered, they are doing great! ZERO reason to be getting handouts. She had unemployment briefly, and that was appropriate.

    This is just ridiculous. How do they justify that? It just looks like buying votes from people who like handouts to me. I honestly find this FAR more egregious than the Georgia voting changes, but it doesn’t get the same scrutiny for some strange reason. Hey, I guess people like handouts and money grows on trees! I guess we are just supposed to smile and say “you’re welcome”.
    Let me first say "thank you"! Before you say you're welcome.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

  4. #10774
    Supporting Member xu82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    10,253
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Let me first say "thank you"! Before you say you're welcome.
    You’re welcome.


    This time......


    Mostly.....


    OK, partly......

    Maybe barely.....my son would be partly.

    Even my son laughed at getting a check for no reason. THIS is insanity and needs FAR more attention.

    A Republican Governor (who I don’t like) gets grief for saying they can’t give you water or pizza in the voting line since it might persuade your vote, but a Democratic President can send you $8,400 you don’t need and didn’t ask for. Who is buying votes here, and why are they not getting a shit storm of grief?

    This is TOTALLY effed up......

    .
    Last edited by xu82; 04-07-2021 at 10:13 PM.

  5. #10775
    Supporting Member X-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Posts
    3,101
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    You’re welcome.


    This time......


    Mostly.....


    OK, partly......

    Maybe barely.....my son would be partly.

    Even my son laughed at getting a check for no reason. THIS is insanity and needs FAR more attention.

    A Republican Governor (who I don’t like) gets grief for saying they can’t give you water or pizza in the voting line since it might persuade your vote, but a Democratic President can send you $8,400 you don’t need and didn’t ask for. Who is buying votes here, and why are they not getting a shit storm of grief?

    This is TOTALLY effed up......

    .
    But at least the Democratic president didn't put his name on those checks "you didn't need or ask for".
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

  6. #10776
    Supporting Member paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16,638
    Georgia: 1 drop box per 100,000, inside a building (metro Atlanta will go from 94 drop boxes to 23)
    Colorado: 1 drop box per 9,400, outside, available 24 hours a day, with more coming

    Georgia: must ask for mail in ballot
    Colorado: mailed to all registered voters

    Georgia: must include ID with mail in ballot each time you vote
    Colorado: ID provided when you register; mail in ballot is accepted with signature match to your initial registration

    A top Georgia Republican said Wednesday that Rudy Giuliani's false claims of election fraud -- which were presented before state lawmakers -- created momentum for a package of voting rights restrictions that recently became state law.
    "This is really the fallout from the 10 weeks of misinformation that flew in from former President Donald Trump," Georgia Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan said on CNN's "New Day." "I went back over the weekend to really look at where this really started to gain momentum in the legislature, and it was when Rudy Giuliani showed up in a couple of committee rooms and spent hours spreading misinformation and sowing doubt across, you know, hours of testimony."
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  7. #10777
    Sophomore Smails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Youíre welcome.

    A Republican Governor (who I donít like) gets grief for saying they canít give you water or pizza in the voting line since it might persuade your vote, but a Democratic President can send you $8,400 you donít need and didnít ask for. Who is buying votes here, and why are they not getting a shit storm of grief?

    This is TOTALLY effed up......

    .
    It is completely out of control and nobody really seems to care. In my job I am in charge of several distribution centers across the US. We offer entry-level (no-experience needed) employees $16.00/Hour + free medical benefits. Our working conditions are THE best in the industry too. Pay goes up from there depending on your skill level. We are currently operating at about 70% labor capacity and it's really hurting our business.

    We did a labor analysis to see how long we can anticipate this issue affecting our bottom line. What we found out was that if you are what we call a triple-header, you literally can make more staying home and doing absolutely nothing. The triple headers are people receiving stimulus checks, a moderate tax return and and unemployment benefits. The 'stay at home' rate for those individuals is $26.50 through September of 2021. I have connections that work for Amazon, DHL and other DC's and they are experiencing the same issues.

    If you were an hourly worker and able to make $10 more/hour staying home why would you work? I don't blame the workforce at all. I blame our elected officials who time and time again aren't able to see the downstream effects of their base-pandering legislation. What's going to happen when the government nipple runs dry for these individuals and they want to come back to work? Jobs with my company won't be available because we've decided to make a huge investment in robotics and automation to eliminate the need for 30% of our workforce.
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

  8. #10778
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    It is completely out of control and nobody really seems to care. In my job I am in charge of several distribution centers across the US. We offer entry-level (no-experience needed) employees $16.00/Hour + free medical benefits. Our working conditions are THE best in the industry too. Pay goes up from there depending on your skill level. We are currently operating at about 70% labor capacity and it's really hurting our business.

    We did a labor analysis to see how long we can anticipate this issue affecting our bottom line. What we found out was that if you are what we call a triple-header, you literally can make more staying home and doing absolutely nothing. The triple headers are people receiving stimulus checks, a moderate tax return and and unemployment benefits. The 'stay at home' rate for those individuals is $26.50 through September of 2021. I have connections that work for Amazon, DHL and other DC's and they are experiencing the same issues.

    If you were an hourly worker and able to make $10 more/hour staying home why would you work? I don't blame the workforce at all. I blame our elected officials who time and time again aren't able to see the downstream effects of their base-pandering legislation. What's going to happen when the government nipple runs dry for these individuals and they want to come back to work? Jobs with my company won't be available because we've decided to make a huge investment in robotics and automation to eliminate the need for 30% of our workforce.
    Yep. I speak to small, midsize business owners on a daily basis, and in general they are all having the exact same challenges around their workforce. Our government is clueless and out of touch, that’s what it comes down to.

  9. #10779
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    19,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Yep. I speak to small, midsize business owners on a daily basis, and in general they are all having the exact same challenges around their workforce. Our government is clueless and out of touch, that’s what it comes down to.
    Meanwhile this profligate and unneeded spending will eventually come home to roost- on my kids and their kids.

    But FREE MONEY!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  10. #10780
    Supporting Member X-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Posts
    3,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Meanwhile this profligate and unneeded spending will eventually come home to roost- on my kids and their kids.

    But FREE MONEY!
    Only if the government debt is externally held. If it's internally financed, paying it off simply transfers wealth among Americans.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •