Page 1041 of 2114 FirstFirst ... 4154194199110311039104010411042104310511091114115412041 ... LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,410 of 21131

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Yes I read the article.
    Why do you continue to overlook that we had them at 3% enrichment, and after Trump's move and more sanctions, they've gone to 20%.
    Sanctions didn't stop N. Korea from developing, testing a nuclear device and the weapons to deliver them.
    They don't seem to be working in Iran. Surely you can understand that.
    A unified stance by the international community with the IAEA inspecting has some chance of the not becoming another N. Korea.
    Speaking of Iran. Time for Kerry to be tried for treason under the Logan Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Speaking of Iran. Time for Flynn to be tried for treason under the Logan Act.
    Fixed.
    2023 Sweet 16

Hmmmm. Amazing that these articles come out NOW!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/27/o...dia-covid.html

“ The first month of the Biden era has been a hard time for these characters. A few have come through more burnished than before: If Mitt Romney was a Good Republican before, now he’s pretty much the Best. But elsewhere we’re seeing archetypes of anti-Trumpism exposed as idols, not just fallible but failing, not just imperfect but corrupt.

You may have noticed, for instance, the long-overdue collapse of the heroic story around Andrew Cuomo, the Tough Blue State Governor par excellence, whose pandemic news conferences inspired such fawning media coverage — from late-night hosts who declared themselves admiring “cuomosexuals,” from his own CNN-host brother — that the governor wrote a book about “leadership lessons from the Covid-19 pandemic” while the pandemic was still going on.”

And it goes on. Lincoln “Grifter” Project included.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Yes I read the article.
    Why do you continue to overlook that we had them at 3% enrichment, and after Trump's move and more sanctions, they've gone to 20%.
    Sanctions didn't stop N. Korea from developing, testing a nuclear device and the weapons to deliver them.
    They don't seem to be working in Iran. Surely you can understand that.
    A unified stance by the international community with the IAEA inspecting has some chance of the not becoming another N. Korea.
    Unverified 3% enrichment. They never stopped, just did a better job of hiding it. You really think they could have jacked up that stockpile and go from the alleged “3%” to 20% overnight?
    Get your head out of the Mid East desert sand Paul. Iran was, is and always will be a rogue nation.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Unverified 3% enrichment. They never stopped, just did a better job of hiding it. You really think they could have jacked up that stockpile and go from the alleged “3%” to 20% overnight?
    Get your head out of the Mid East desert sand Paul. Iran was, is and always will be a rogue nation.
    ...and the Neville Chamberlain Most Naive and Boneheaded Diplomat award goes to.....for believing it makes sense to negotiate, in any manner and form, with the government of Iran. Seriously, what an embarrassing stance to take.

Just a taste of the mindset of a demented asshole:

On 21 March 2009, a day after US President Barack Obama advocated a "new beginning" in diplomatic relations between the two countries, Khamenei said a change of US "words" was not enough and added: "We will watch and we will judge (the new US administration) ... You change, our behavior will change." He rejected US foreign policy since the Islamic revolution, insisted the United States is "hated in the world" and should end its interference in other countries.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    ...and the Neville Chamberlain Most Naive and Boneheaded Diplomat award goes to.....for believing it makes sense to negotiate, in any manner and form, with the government of Iran. Seriously, what an embarrassing stance to take.

Just a taste of the mindset of a demented asshole:

On 21 March 2009, a day after US President Barack Obama advocated a "new beginning" in diplomatic relations between the two countries, Khamenei said a change of US "words" was not enough and added: "We will watch and we will judge (the new US administration) ... You change, our behavior will change." He rejected US foreign policy since the Islamic revolution, insisted the United States is "hated in the world" and should end its interference in other countries.
    As a conservative, Watching CPAC this year has been very disappointing. I understand that we don’t agree with liberals on several issues but the bashing of fellow Americans is just sickening. Why not use some of the energy to take on other countries. Not fellow Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    As a conservative, Watching CPAC this year has been very disappointing. I understand that we don’t agree with liberals on several issues but the bashing of fellow Americans is just sickening. Why not use some of the energy to take on other countries. Not fellow Americans.
    I don't understand what has happened to conservatism. It used to be about substance and policy, now it's just bizarre idol worship and performative trolling.

Here is how I used to think about the two parties: The Democrats used to just talk about how great it would be if everything was free and nobody had to be poor. It's a noble pursuit, but not one that is grounded in reality. Conversely, the Republicans were the party that said "Yeah, all that stuff would be great but we can't afford it".

Traditionally I have voted more Republican than Democrat because the economy has always been the most important factor in my voting, and I preferred conservative policies in that arena. I never really liked the anti-gay marriage stuff, or the excessive criminalizing of minor drug offenses, and I believe in the Separation of Church and State so I don't like the evangelical / theocratic stuff. Nevertheless the policies I liked outweighed the policies I don't like. That has changed rapidly.

There is a lifestyle brand that is becoming increasingly associated with conservatism that I find repugnant. It hardly feels like a political platform anymore, and is becoming cultish. It's not all conservatives that are participating, but it's enough that it's poisoning the party, and the real problem is that the majority of conservatives continue to be willing to tolerate it. It ignores facts when they are inconvenient. It places individuals above the Country. It continues to deny the election results (it wasn't close). Perhaps most troubling is the celebration of cruelty to their fellow Americans.

Every party has a bunch of assholes that need to stay marginalized, but the Republicans are letting them take over the party. Now it's the rational / moderates who are being marginalized while people worship a literal Golden Statue of a failed former President who two months ago incited a coup (as confirmed by the Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell) and is currently trying to purge the party of anyone who doesn't demonstrate appropriate fealty.
    Eat Donuts!

CPAC did a 2024 straw poll that didn't include Donald Trump, Sr. (but did include Jr.). DeSantis got 43% of the vote. Larry Hogan got 0.2%.

Interesting that only 55% of the far righties wanted trump in 2024.
    2023 Sweet 16

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post

There is a lifestyle brand that is becoming increasingly associated with conservatism that I find repugnant. It hardly feels like a political platform anymore, and is becoming cultish. It's not all conservatives that are participating, but it's enough that it's poisoning the party, and the real problem is that the majority of conservatives continue to be willing to tolerate it. It ignores facts when they are inconvenient. It places individuals above the Country. It continues to deny the election results (it wasn't close). Perhaps most troubling is the celebration of cruelty to their fellow Americans.

I think the Republican party did a great job pushing the Democratic party more and more left over the years. To the point where if you don't have far left views you may get attacked by your party. It looks like to me the Democratic party is now doing the same to the Republicans. It becomes a good strategy....but hopefully it leads to most republicans and democrats realize they are a lot closer to the middle than these loud minority extremists.