Page 102 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 252921001011021031041121522026021102 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Holy moly.

First of all, when we talk about Russia seeking to influence our elections we are FAR beyond 'What's the harm in being friends with Russia"? That's actually a pretty good reason for why we DON'T want to be friends with Russia, IMHO. Messing with our electoral process is/should be a pretty big deal for us.

Moving past that, Russia is quite possibly our largest geopolitical adversary. They have an imperialistic and authoritarian governmental mindset (as evidenced by their annexation of parts of Ukraine) that directly contradicts everything we hold dear as a nation (or at least held dear, before we elected Trump). Their government oppresses their people. They murder political dissidents. They commit war crimes. I don't want to be friends with those people.
    If it's so bad in Russia, why are defection rates down and approval ratings so high?

I am truly troubled by your defense of Putins Russia. Why are his approval ratings so high? Because he controls the media and the message, kills and intimidates any opposition, and dominates any rivals through intimidation.

Goodness man.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I am pretty sure many of the things we hold dear lately as a polical correct country are over the top. What we have been doing in many ways has not been working. Oh and I know the big bad wolf Russia has had no impact on my life and won't in the future. One thing is for sure, the stock market hasn't been fazed by all of the so called horrible things are president is doing. Hopefully we don't overreact as a country and see what this guy can do. I don't want the same old same old president and does and says everything everyone wants to hear and then does nothing.
    I'm not even really sure what this means.

If it's so bad in Russia, why are defection rates down and approval ratings so high?
    Is this a joke question? The government controls the media and uses it to manipulate public sentiment.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
    I am truly troubled by your defense of Putins Russia. Why are his approval ratings so high? Because he controls the media and the message, kills and intimidates any opposition, and dominates any rivals through intimidation.

Goodness man.
    Welcome to Trump's America. The same people who spent 8 years bitching about Obama's soft stance on Russia now want to be allies with them, even after they were caught meddling in our elections. You start to understand how authoritarian governments happen when you see how suggestible we can be.
    Eat Donuts!

Guys, is this really at all surprising? First, I bet the source here is Yates. She was unceremoniously fired for not doing something the courts now have blocked, she was not happy, and she is most likely lashing out at this administration for their actions.

Second, Trump has already pissed off the CIA/NSA, but don't you think they are going to quietly go about their business of espionage and build up a file on this administration. When that file gets sufficiently juicy (and it will), they would only then pounce. Why would they just take pot shots when they can just sit back and wait for something massive?

You can say the same for North Korea too. How are they doing?

Obama wants to tell you guys that the '80s are calling and asking for their foreign policy back.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I'm not even really sure what this means.

Is this a joke question? The government controls the media and uses it to manipulate public sentiment.
    Exactly what the US media does. Don't believe everything you read. Hell anymore don't believe anything you do not see.

Exactly what the US media does. Don't believe everything you read. Hell anymore don't believe anything you do not see.
    Conflating what the 'US media' does with what the Russian media does is ignorant and dangerous.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Yes. I'm concerned. I'm very concerned. I'm concerned that there is so little faith within his own administration, in the intelligence community, or in the military, that Trump can effectively and legally govern that they feel they need to create external pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I understand that paragraph. I think you're saying, "I hate Trump. If people in the intelligence community want to commit crimes with the purpose of undermining Trump or any of his cabinet members, I'm all for it."