Page 101 of 458 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 4573

Thread: Politics Thread

  1. #1001
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Overlook Hotel
    Posts
    11,510

    Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    I haven't really considered that yet. I'm still taking in the whole 'our President's campaign was in contact with Russian intelligence' thing. My first instinct is to acknowledge that these kind of leaks aren't normal. The intelligence agencies have a proud history of being as non-partisan as reasonably possible. I think the gravity of these revelations has a lot more to do with these leaks than politics.
    Congrats in post #1000 in this thread!

  2. #1002
    All-Conference XUFan09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    7,064
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Yes. I'm concerned. I'm very concerned. I'm concerned that there is so little faith within his own administration, in the intelligence community, or in the military, that Trump can effectively and legally govern that they feel they need to create external pressure.

    I'm concerned that our incoming NSA was so careless that he didn't even consider that the agencies he was about to lead were monitoring the calls of the Russian diplomat with whom he was conspiring to violate US law (at an absolute minimum), acts which could theoretically be viewed as acts of treason and which almost certainly compromised his ability to serve by leaving him vulnerable to kompromat.

    And yes, I'm concerned that the Trump administration was -- and is -- more concerned about that controversy than the risk to national security.

    I'm concerned that all of these are the things from which coups are born. And I'm concerned that -- terrifying as that may be -- that very may well be a positive development.

    Basically, I'm concerned that we're fucked.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    I haven't really considered that yet. I'm still taking in the whole 'our President's campaign was in contact with Russian intelligence' thing. My first instinct is to acknowledge that these kind of leaks aren't normal. The intelligence agencies have a proud history of being as non-partisan as reasonably possible. I think the gravity of these revelations has a lot more to do with these leaks than politics.
    Basically my thoughts on it.

  3. #1003
    While I admit the Russian story seems highly unique, and subject to much more scrutiny, I have just as much distress about the leaks. I think they are the part of the new partisan Gov't order, which could further deteriorate our nation.

    Unfortunately, I foresee retaliation inside our bureaucracy when the next Democratic president is elected. This phenomenon is kind of like the "nuclear option' which the Dems first utilized to upend Senate tradition. It will come back and hurt the Democrats with the Supreme Court, it will hurt them with bureaucratic leaks in the future, and much more, it's hurting our country.
    Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise!

  4. #1004
    This smart person posted a smart comment.

    https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/statu...50140940005377
    Run the table.

  5. #1005
    I miss the days when Crooked Hillary deleting emails was the biggest scandal :(
    Run the table.

  6. #1006
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,917
    I do not follow politics at all, but what is the problem with being friends with Russia? Do they pose some kind of threat to our economy and safety? I mean we have Russian athletes and citizens all over the country and never see they trying to harm the US like some from other countries.

  7. #1007
    Sophomore Caf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Delkus View Post
    While I admit the Russian story seems highly unique, and subject to much more scrutiny, I have just as much distress about the leaks. I think they are the part of the new partisan Gov't order, which could further deteriorate our nation.

    Unfortunately, I foresee retaliation inside our bureaucracy when the next Democratic president is elected. This phenomenon is kind of like the "nuclear option' which the Dems first utilized to upend Senate tradition. It will come back and hurt the Democrats with the Supreme Court, it will hurt them with bureaucratic leaks in the future, and much more, it's hurting our country.
    I very much disagree with this, but I really think these leaks are being overstated. This has to be Sally Yates. Just a reminder of what we now know involving her. She warns the WH about Flynn, WH does nothing, she knows the campaign had connects with Russia, then refuses to enforce the immigration ban, and is then fired for doing so. How stupid could the WH be? They knew this woman had disparaging info about their dealings and they axed her. It's either complete incompetence or recklessness to think for a second that she wasn't going to go radioactive with this information. All of this is besides the point, but my Lord wtf?

  8. #1008
    Supporting Member boozehound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Section 212
    Posts
    5,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Delkus View Post
    While I admit the Russian story seems highly unique, and subject to much more scrutiny, I have just as much distress about the leaks. I think they are the part of the new partisan Gov't order, which could further deteriorate our nation.

    Unfortunately, I foresee retaliation inside our bureaucracy when the next Democratic president is elected. This phenomenon is kind of like the "nuclear option' which the Dems first utilized to upend Senate tradition. It will come back and hurt the Democrats with the Supreme Court, it will hurt them with bureaucratic leaks in the future, and much more, it's hurting our country.
    I hope you are wrong. Our intelligence community (historically, at least) prides itself on putting the country ahead of politics. I'm not really sure the extent to which this is a partisan issue within the government, vs. the extent to which this is a Trump issue. While Trump is (sort of) a Republican, but he is also increasingly appearing to be grossly incompetent in a number of areas. I'm hoping that these leaks are a reaction to a President that they few as dangerously inept, rather than a reaction to a Republican President. Remember that the intelligence community's lives are in the President's hands in a more direct way than almost any other government organization.

    We are, after all, talking about a President who recently held an extremely classified conversation with a foreign leader on the patio of his golf club while the general public milled around and snapped selfies. This situation ultimately resulted in the guy who carries the Nuclear Football taking a photo with a club guest, while being identified by name as the guy who carries the nuclear football.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.30e591e66fbf
    Eat Donuts!

  9. #1009
    Supporting Member boozehound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Section 212
    Posts
    5,249
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I do not follow politics at all, but what is the problem with being friends with Russia? Do they pose some kind of threat to our economy and safety? I mean we have Russian athletes and citizens all over the country and never see they trying to harm the US like some from other countries.
    Holy moly.

    First of all, when we talk about Russia seeking to influence our elections we are FAR beyond 'What's the harm in being friends with Russia"? That's actually a pretty good reason for why we DON'T want to be friends with Russia, IMHO. Messing with our electoral process is/should be a pretty big deal for us.

    Moving past that, Russia is quite possibly our largest geopolitical adversary. They have an imperialistic and authoritarian governmental mindset (as evidenced by their annexation of parts of Ukraine) that directly contradicts everything we hold dear as a nation (or at least held dear, before we elected Trump). Their government oppresses their people. They murder political dissidents. They commit war crimes. I don't want to be friends with those people.
    Eat Donuts!

  10. #1010
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Holy moly.

    First of all, when we talk about Russia seeking to influence our elections we are FAR beyond 'What's the harm in being friends with Russia"? That's actually a pretty good reason for why we DON'T want to be friends with Russia, IMHO. Messing with our electoral process is/should be a pretty big deal for us.

    Moving past that, Russia is quite possibly our largest geopolitical adversary. They have an imperialistic and authoritarian governmental mindset (as evidenced by their annexation of parts of Ukraine) that directly contradicts everything we hold dear as a nation (or at least held dear, before we elected Trump). Their government oppresses their people. They murder political dissidents. They commit war crimes. I don't want to be friends with those people.
    I am pretty sure many of the things we hold dear lately as a polical correct country are over the top. What we have been doing in many ways has not been working. Oh and I know the big bad wolf Russia has had no impact on my life and won't in the future. One thing is for sure, the stock market hasn't been fazed by all of the so called horrible things are president is doing. Hopefully we don't overreact as a country and see what this guy can do. I don't want the same old same old president and does and says everything everyone wants to hear and then does nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •