Page 918 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 418818868908916917918919920928968101814181918 ... LastLast
Results 9,171 to 9,180 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Here's hoping for a split in the Georgia runoff tomorrow! Remember, divided government is best government!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Here's hoping for a split in the Georgia runoff tomorrow! Remember, divided government is best government!
    I generally agree with this. Right now I kind of want to see the Dems take the Senate for two years though, if only to serve as a rebuke for the whole Trump disaster. I don't want them ramming a bunch of highly liberal legislation through, though (although to be fair I'm not sure how likely that would actually be even if they won Georgia - they still have Joe Manchin and a few others to contend with) so I guess I hope that the Dems win one and the Repubs win to the other.

I think that both seats probably stay Red though. I don't really see Ossoff or Warnock as super strong candidates, although to be fair I don't really think that Loeffler or Purdue are either.
    Last edited by boozehound; 01-05-2021 at 07:19 AM.
    Eat Donuts!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Has anybody seen the transcript from the Georgia call? Holy shit. I'm glad there is a tape of this. In a normal universe it would change some people's minds on supporting Trump and what is, at this point, essentially an attempted Coup. Not sure it will though.
    I listened to the whole hour, it was bat shit. I think my favorite part was when then SOS offered to send Pres. Trump a link to the unedited video and he responds that he doesn't need his link, he has a better link. Just peak Trump.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Wishful thinking: if the Republicans had got rid of Trump during impeachment, Pence would have been at the helm for the last 11 months.
    Somehow I think things might have been handled better with the virus, and with Pence on top of the ticket they may have held on to the White House.
    As it is, we have a cluster all around and hard times ahead.
    All the norms (like inviting the new person to the White House, good transition support, etc.) have been cast aside.
    It's really quite remarkable.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    I listened to the whole hour, it was bat shit. I think my favorite part was when then SOS offered to send Pres. Trump a link to the unedited video and he responds that he doesn't need his link, he has a better link. Just peak Trump.
    I literally don't know what to think about people that are still supporting this at this point. They must have absolutely no ability to see things from any perspective other than their own.

Again - imagine if Obama had done any of this shit. These same people would be going absolutely insane.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I literally don't know what to think about people that are still supporting this at this point. They must have absolutely no ability to see things from any perspective other than their own.

Again - imagine if Obama had done any of this shit. These same people would be going absolutely insane.
    The more strongly people believe something (or want to believe it), then the more defensive they will become the more they're shown how wrong they are about it.

I think we are all a little closer to this than what we think. People look at cults and think that there is something wrong with the people who got swept up into it and that it couldn't possibly happen to them. I'm not saying that people don't have the ability to avoid getting swept up into stuff. I'm just saying that it's easier than a lot of us think, and it's harder to walk away from than a lot of us think. I've always said that the easiest people to lie to are those who want to believe the lie, and they then become the hardest people to convey the truth to.

I don't blame people for being caught up in this. But MY GOD take a step back!! The Democrats, and the scientific community, and a few elected republicans, and the entire SCOTUS, and multiple federal judges that he himself appointed, and multiple election officials in multiple states, and multiple postal workers, and the media (including Fox News), and the Secretary of State in Georgia, and God knows who else, ALL conspired against Trump to steal the election!! THAT IS JUST UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!!!

There are many reasons that is impossible. For starters, if the conspiracy was that broad, there would be no need for a conspiracy. It would have to involve so many people that if they just voted against him they'd vote him out. The other is that when as many people hate someone as those who hate Trump, he's going lose.

I get liking Trump. In fact one of the (many) major issues I have with the Left how they don't seem to think it's important to understand why people do like Trump. I get how he can make people who are frustrated with M.O. of the country feel like this is their guy whenever he claps back at the other side. It can feel good to have a strong man leader so long as he's YOUR strong man. But...HE CLEARLY LOST!!!! He's clearly a liar, and a narcissist, and has no respect for the checks and balances that are in place. If you actually think he won the election, then you've been duped the same way members of a cult get duped. You're believing something and fighting for something that is clearly false. Hopefully it does not turn out to be at as great of a risk and expense for people.
    Last edited by xubrew; 01-04-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post

There are many reasons that is impossible. For starters, if the conspiracy was that broad, there would be no need for a conspiracy. It would have to involve so many people that if they just voted against him they'd vote him out. The other is that when as many people hate someone as those who hate Trump, he's going lose.
    A lot of good points on the above post. I'm just highlighting this part for brevity - good point. Trump supporters are surprised he lost, but they really shouldn't be. I understand that he defied the polls in 2016, but he was consistently projected to lose in 2020. The final results ended up being pretty close to the projections, I believe. He relatively narrowly flipped a few key states in 2016 and then followed that up with a complete shit show of a Presidency culminating in a massive pandemic raging during the voting period(!) I think that's a recipe for most incumbents to get voted out of office.

Obviously I don't think that the Pandemic was Trump's fault (although I think his response to it has definitely made things worse), but sometimes shit just happens and when it happens on your watch it's hard to get reelected.

He also spent his entire term aggressively antagonizing the left, which backfired when people came out to vote like never before. Voter turnout is the Republicans' worst enemy. The Dems usually have the numbers if they get the turnout, but turning out their voters has consistently been a challenge. Obama understood that, which is how he won twice. Hillary Clinton did not, so she lost. If Trump hadn't made himself so polarizing I think I lot more folks on the left would have stayed home. They weren't excited to vote for Joe Biden, they were excited to vote against Donald Trump.
    Eat Donuts!

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The more strongly people believe something (or want to believe it), then the more defensive they will become the more they're shown how wrong they are about it.

I think we are all a little closer to this than what we think. People look at cults and think that there is something wrong with the people who got swept up into it and that it couldn't possibly happen to them. I'm not saying that people don't have the ability to avoid getting swept up into stuff. I'm just saying that it's easier than a lot of us think, and it's harder to walk away from than a lot of us think. I've always said that the easiest people to lie to are those who want to believe the lie, and they then become the hardest people to convey the truth to.

I don't blame people for being caught up in this. But MY GOD take a step back!! The Democrats, and the scientific community, and a few elected republicans, and the entire SCOTUS, and multiple federal judges that he himself appointed, and multiple election officials in multiple states, and multiple postal workers, and the media (including Fox News), and the Secretary of State in Georgia, and God knows who else, ALL conspired against Trump to steal the election!! THAT IS JUST UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!!!

I get liking Trump. In fact one of the (many) major issues I have with the Left how they don't seem to think it's important to understand why people do like Trump. I get how he can make people who are frustrated with M.O. of the country feel like this is their guy whenever he claps back at the other side. It can feel good to have a strong man leader so long as he's YOUR strong man. But...HE CLEARLY LOST!!!! He's clearly a liar, and a narcissist, and has no respect for the checks and balances that are in place. If you actually think he won the election, then you've been duped the same way members of a cult get duped. You're believing something and fighting for something that is clearly false. Hopefully it does not turn out to be at as great of a risk and expense for people.
    You just identified the "deep state". The actual definition of the deep state is anyone who doesn't like or support Trump.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    You just identified the "deep state". The actual definition of the deep state is anyone who doesn't like or support Trump.
    I guess that would make it substantially deep.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Can someone on the Left justify this to me? Amen and awoman? Father, Mother, Son Daughter, et.al. no longer allowed in the House? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?!?!?

https://nypost.com/2021/01/04/rep-em...en-and-awoman/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.