Page 1485 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 485985138514351475148314841485148614871495153515851985 ... LastLast
Results 14,841 to 14,850 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Bump.
    Hey. I’m not upset. I just continually laugh at your abject refusal to accept reality. I love batting away your misguided premises like mosquitos. You just keep serving up those softballs, and I’ll keep taking you deep.
    And you have zero answer to my point.
    If there akshually was collusion, and ya boi Schiff had all this proof (we know he hates Trump and would take him to the cleaners if he did), why hasn’t he produced anything????
    As you say-“I assume” because it never happened and he has no proof.
    The ultimate liar.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I would guess that she is claiming that NY lost tax revenue because he undervalued the properties for tax purposes.
    Not sure about the overvaluing for more favorable loan treatment and how that "hurts" NY.
    Paul. Assuming and guessing again, because “Trump”.
    You just can’t keep your mouth shut can you?
    How about you stop “assuming” and guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Okay, this makes SOME sense. New York was injured because he undervalued his properties and paid less in taxes than what he should have. SOME of that makes sense. The part that doesn't make sense (at least to me) is that sounds more like a crime than anything else. So...why the CIVIL suit??

I really am just trying to understand what is going on with this. My gut reaction right now is that it's a bunch of bullshit and that nothing will be gained from pursuing this. My thoughts of feelings on Trump are pretty well documented, but let's stick to going after him for the laws that he actually broke and the damage that he actually caused. Bullshit litigation may end up backfiring. Having said that, though, I'm not a legal expert.
    Please share what laws “he broke”.
    I’m interested since there has been no prosecution or indictments.

It can't be a tax issue. The state doesn't let you pick the value of your property for assessment purposes. I believe it relates to allegations that lenders were defrauded when providing loans to the Trump organization because real estate values/collateral were overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It can't be a tax issue. The state doesn't let you pick the value of your property for assessment purposes. I believe it relates to allegations that lenders were defrauded when providing loans to the Trump organization because real estate values/collateral were overstated.
    But again. Why is it a civil case and why aren’t the lenders suing?

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    But again. Why is it a civil case and why aren’t the lenders suing?
    I don't know on the lenders part. Perhaps the lenders reached out to the AG on an unfair business practices claim? There's usually a statute in most states that allows AGs to pursue unfair business claims on behalf of private parties. But just a guess.

I try not to get too wrapped up in the circus that is all things Trump.

Sophomore
    Wow!! Newsflash!! Politicians and Candidates “Misrepresent” or Lie.
    Paul never seemed to want to comment on Elizabeth “Pocahontas” Warren’s heritage or Adam Schiff’s “indisputable evidence of Russian Collusion”. How about John Fedderman denying that he chased down an innocent black jogger and held a rifle to his chest?
    Wonder why?
    Fedderman, how is that guy going to win anything?! I wouldn't elect that dude to work at our local parks

Quote Originally Posted by xuwillie View Post
    Fedderman, how is that guy going to win anything?!
    His opponent is almost literally a snake oil salesman.

Please share what laws “he broke”.
    I’m interested since there has been no prosecution or indictments.
    I don't know that he broke any. I asked a question. I didn't make an accusation. I said that if the allegation is that he devalued his property so he could cheat on his taxes, that doesn't sound like a civil suit. That sounds more like a criminal case (or I guess more specifically, a tax fraud case). So, why was a CIVIL suit filed??

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I don't see how this would be a case for the NY AG if it's a civil suit. And I know you're not saying that it is. I'm just restating what it is that I find puzzling about all this.

It seems to me if someone were to sue Trump and have a legit case against him, it would be the actual banks/lenders who loaned him the money on a false premise (if it even was a false premise) and not the AG. Is this type of thing normal? Do AG's routinely file civil suits?
    Last edited by xubrew; 09-22-2022 at 10:59 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I don't know that he broke any. I asked a question. I didn't make an accusation. I said that if the allegation is that he devalued his property so he could cheat on his taxes, that doesn't sound like a civil suit. That sounds more like a criminal case (or I guess more specifically, a tax fraud case). So, why was a CIVIL suit filed??

I don't see how this would be a case for the NY AG if it's a civil suit. And I know you're not saying that it is. I'm just restating what it is that I find puzzling about all this.

It seems to me if someone were to sue Trump and have a legit case against him, it would be the actual banks/lenders who loaned him the money on a false premise (if it even was a false premise) and not the AG. Is this type of thing normal? Do AG's routinely file civil suits?
    Civil suits are regularly filed by a State AG's, especially against businesses. You cannot throw a business in jail, so you are suing for money damages or injunctive relief. Think of the suits against the tobacco companies, which were also civil suits.

This particular law suit seems to be under New York Executive Law § 63 (12) which provides:

12. Whenever any person shall engage in repeated fraudulent or illegal acts or otherwisedemonstrate persistent fraud or illegality in the carrying on, conducting or transaction ofbusiness, the attorney general may apply, in the name of the people of the state of NewYork, to the supreme court of the state of New York, on notice of five days, for an orderenjoining the continuance of such business activity or of any fraudulent or illegal acts,directing restitution and damages and, in an appropriate case, cancelling any certificatefiled under and by virtue of the provisions of section four hundred forty of the formerpenal law [FN3] or section one hundred thirty of the general business law, and the courtmay award the relief applied for or so much thereof as it may deem proper. The word“fraud” or “fraudulent” as used herein shall include any device, scheme or artifice todefraud and any deception, misrepresentation, concealment, suppression, false pretense,false promise or unconscionable contractual provisions. The term “persistent fraud” or“illegality” as used herein shall include continuance or carrying on of any fraudulent orillegal act or conduct. The term “repeated” as used herein shall include repetition of anyseparate and distinct fraudulent or illegal act, or conduct which affects more than oneperson.In connection with any such application, the attorney general is authorized to take proofand make a determination of the relevant facts and to issue subpoenas in accordance withthe civil practice law and rules. Such authorization shall not abate or terminate by reasonof any action or proceeding brought by the attorney general under this section.
    The full lawsuit can be found here: https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000...3-e0e5115d0000

It is seeking disgorgement of the profits from the alleged fraudulent activity and an injunction to preventing the Trump family members from operating a business in the State of New York.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack