Page 580 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 8048053057057857958058158259063068010801580 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,800 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

The president is lashing out at Twitter on Twitter.

Just another normal day.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The president is lashing out at Twitter on Twitter.

Just another normal day.
    If he really does 'shut down twitter' what will he do all day?
    Eat Donuts!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    If he really does 'shut down twitter' what will he do all day?
    God help us if he discovers 4chan or 8chan.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

OK then.

"Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one's anger.

Trump Issues Executive Order Against Twitter

I would be curious how people feel about this. It seems like an obvious overreach. Twitter is a private business that people are free to use, or not use and I don't think that they have what constitutes a monopoly. Should the Federal government be exerting it's authority via Executive Order to try to force a private entity into behaving how they want it to?

Even it Twitter was overtly liberal and aggressively censored anything Republicans posted should that be illegal?

Edit: Yes I realize that the source is CNN, but I assume the core facts of the case are accurate.
    Eat Donuts!

I would be curious how people feel about this. It seems like an obvious overreach. Twitter is a private business that people are free to use, or not use and I don't think that they have what constitutes a monopoly. Should the Federal government be exerting it's authority via Executive Order to try to force a private entity into behaving how they want it to?

Even it Twitter was overtly liberal and aggressively censored anything Republicans posted should that be illegal?

Edit: Yes I realize that the source is CNN, but I assume the core facts of the case are accurate.
    My God, the man is ten pounds of bullshit in a five pound bag.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but they never actually censured anything. They left his tweet up. They simply cited a source. After doing so, Trump went crazy, but he never actually cited anything to back up his initial claim. Even if he's not lying (which he is), that was the dumbest way to go about handling that. All he had to do was cite his data.

He pulls shit out of his ass, and whenever anyone questions it he attacks them, and his followers believe him even though he never actually backs up what he's saying. The easiest people to lie to are those who want to believe the lie. What you're saying doesn't have to be true so much as it needs people with a desire to believe it even though it's not true. That's why it's so easy for people to lie to themselves, I guess. In a way, Trump may understand that better than most of the rest of us.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member

If Twitter loses 230 protection, couldn’t they be sued by Joe Scarborough for Trump’s tweets this week? Wouldn’t their safest route at this point just to be ban the president from their service to avoid this issue?
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Just imagine what this will be like during the election season.
    What’s more, 82% of the top 50 most influential coronavirus/COVID-19 retweeters were bots, as were 62% of the top 1,000 retweeters, according to the report.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ab...ort-2020-05-26
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    My God, the man is ten pounds of bullshit in a five pound bag.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but they never actually censured anything. They left his tweet up. They simply cited a source. After doing so, Trump went crazy, but he never actually cited anything to back up his initial claim. Even if he's not lying (which he is), that was the dumbest way to go about handling that. All he had to do was cite his data.

He pulls shit out of his ass, and whenever anyone questions it he attacks them, and his followers believe him even though he never actually backs up what he's saying. The easiest people to lie to are those who want to believe the lie. What you're saying doesn't have to be true so much as it needs people with a desire to believe it even though it's not true. That's why it's so easy for people to lie to themselves, I guess. In a way, Trump may understand that better than most of the rest of us.
    This is right on the nose, and also a little scary. There is a very large group of people who believe all/most of what this idiot says, even when it is demonstrably false. Even many of the people who don't believe him don't seem to think it's a big deal that he does this. Try to imagine ANY of the Presidents in your lifetime prior to Trump doing anything like this. It's amazing how far you can fall in a few years, and should be a cautionary tale. I'll bet that a frightening number his supporters would be in favor of making him a Dictator.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    If Twitter loses 230 protection, couldn’t they be sued by Joe Scarborough for Trump’s tweets this week? Wouldn’t their safest route at this point just to be ban the president from their service to avoid this issue?
    The President being banned from Twitter would be wild. I do think Twitter is in a bit of a tough spot: It's admirable that they want to try to get a handle on influential people posting outright proven lies on their platform, but it's got to be tough to police all that bullshit that's on twitter. Nevertheless, they are a private company so they can kind of do what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Just imagine what this will be like during the election season.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ab...ort-2020-05-26
    Twitter should focus some of their energy on eliminating all twitter bots. Also, God we are stupid.
    Eat Donuts!

Today's conundrum: I prefer for Trump to not tweet out stupid, inflammatory things. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel even a little bit bad about an actual looter being shot.