Page 586 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 8648653657658458558658758859663668610861586 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,860 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I don't think it's as much about that, as it is not voting for a President who seems poorly equipped to handle most difficult situations. This is just another in a long line of examples. I also think that the continuing authoritarian rhetoric should be troubling more people than it is.

We absolutely should be condoning the violence and property destruction. If we use that as a reason to de-legitimize the entire protest I think we are missing the point and will only see more of this.
    You're either a complete fucking idiot or you don't know the meaning of the word condone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdiggins View Post
    You're either a complete fucking idiot or you don't know the meaning of the word condone.
    Or it was a typo.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Anyone who truly thinks that is likely in Trumps camp already. I think most reasonable people understand Biden doesnt want burning and looting. He said as much today again. The ones burning and looting are extremists on both sides mostly.
    I don't think Biden wants burning and looting. I DO think he's on the "side" that is doing the burning and looting or condoning it. I think it's pretty one-sided.

Supporting Member
    They are rioting in the streets at a level that I don't really recall seeing in my lifetime. Maybe Rodney King? It was certainly worse in LA, but not sure it was worse nationally. I don't think this is just about George Floyd. It's about the overall situation and minorities feeling like they aren't being heard, and I think Trump is a big part of that. All he had to do was somewhat convincingly act like he cares and listen to the black community, but he can't resist. The minority vote may not be enough for Biden, but I think that they will support him. I also think we are going to see a lot of Barack Obama on the campaign trail as well as very likely a minority running mate.

This is my position, 100%. This dude got on a call with a bunch of governors and called them weak for not using military weaponry and tactics to 'dominate' their own citizens. Then he (allegedly) hid in a bunker underneath the White House before emerging to Tear Gas protesters on his way to a photo op. The shit show is just beginning.
    Ferguson? Cincinnati? Baltimore?

The thing that irks me about trump haters is that everything wrong is blamed on him...it is his fault floyd died and it's his fault minorities are where they are. I think it is more prudent to look toward the democratic led cities (for decades) of st louis, Minneapolis, Detroit, Baltimore as the true reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I don't think Biden wants burning and looting. I DO think he's on the "side" that is doing the burning and looting or condoning it. I think it's pretty one-sided.
    I think that's a bit of an over simplification. Other than a bunch of fringe whackos on twitter and probably some local politicians I don't see a lot of legitimate people condoning the burning or looting. Yes, they are on the left side of the political spectrum. They have a fringe too, just like the racists on the far right are a fringe that doesn't represent the views of the entire party.

I also think that the overall state of the country in a given election cycle, particularly when an incumbent President is running for reelection, can have a significant impact. If come November we still have COVID outbreaks, high unemployement, and social unrest I think it will weigh on Trump's reelection chances.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Both parties are responsible for bad policing and not prosecuting police who break the law for sure. Both parties need to accept responsibility for failures there and work together for reform.
    In Hamilton County the republican prosecutor took Ray Tensing to trial twice. I can't think of any other county/city in the country that has tried that. The results aren't what we wanted, but they certainly tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Ferguson? Cincinnati? Baltimore?

The thing that irks me about trump haters is that everything wrong is blamed on him...it is his fault floyd died and it's his fault minorities are where they are. I think it is more prudent to look toward the democratic led cities (for decades) of st louis, Minneapolis, Detroit, Baltimore as the true reasons.
    Ferguson, Cincinnati, and Baltimore were all relatively isolated riots. They spread in some pockets, but nothing like what we have seen with this.

Minorities vote Democrat, which is why all major cities are 'Democratic Led'. The two are related, but not in the way that I think you think they are: The same disadvantaged minorities that elected the Democrats are also frustrated with their overall treatment, and particularly treatment at the hand of the Police. I don't believe that they are entirely correct, and I definitely don't believe that they are going about expressing their 'frustration' in the right way. I also don't think that the Country can just ignore it. Where does that lead?

I don't believe that we have a racist system in America, but I do believe that we have a system that can feel/seem very racist. What we really have is a system designed to (in general) keep money and power in the hands of those who already have it (and their descendants). African Americans (among other groups) have not generally been able to participate in this system as they started out significantly disadvantaged. All the affirmative action in the world hasn't overcome that.

I'm also acutely aware of the fact that I am a tremendous net beneficiary of this system. It doesn't mean I don't work hard or earn what I have. It just means I have benefited tremendously for almost my whole life, as I would wager a good many of us have.
    Eat Donuts!

I think that's a bit of an over simplification. Other than a bunch of fringe whackos on twitter and probably some local politicians I don't see a lot of legitimate people condoning the burning or looting. Yes, they are on the left side of the political spectrum. They have a fringe too, just like the racists on the far right are a fringe that doesn't represent the views of the entire party.
    I think CNN et al are coming around, but there was definitely a lot of "this destruction is just a legitimate expression of rage" going on at first. And I don't necessarily disagree with what you've said, but the mainstream portion of a party always gets tainted by their extreme wing.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    In Hamilton County the republican prosecutor took Ray Tensing to trial twice. I can't think of any other county/city in the country that has tried that. The results aren't what we wanted, but they certainly tried.
    Yeah I agree with that for sure.

Changing police culture has to come from somewhere not sure how or where. Wont be easy that is for sure.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Ferguson, Cincinnati, and Baltimore were all relatively isolated riots. They spread in some pockets, but nothing like what we have seen with this.

Minorities vote Democrat, which is why all major cities are 'Democratic Led'. The two are related, but not in the way that I think you think they are: The same disadvantaged minorities that elected the Democrats are also frustrated with their overall treatment, and particularly treatment at the hand of the Police. I don't believe that they are entirely correct, and I definitely don't believe that they are going about expressing their 'frustration' in the right way. I also don't think that the Country can just ignore it. Where does that lead?

I don't believe that we have a racist system in America, but I do believe that we have a system that can feel/seem very racist. What we really have is a system designed to (in general) keep money and power in the hands of those who already have it (and their descendants). African Americans (among other groups) have not generally been able to participate in this system as they started out significantly disadvantaged. All the affirmative action in the world hasn't overcome that.

I'm also acutely aware of the fact that I am a tremendous net beneficiary of this system. It doesn't mean I don't work hard or earn what I have. It just means I have benefited tremendously for almost my whole life, as I would wager a good many of us have.
    Want is the saying about doing the same thing over and expecting different results? Maybe the minorities should try something else like voting for a different party to see if they can get some help. Worth a shot.