Page 428 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 3283784184264274284294304384785289281428 ... LastLast
Results 4,271 to 4,280 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

The problem with the senator bringing her over, medical condition not withstanding, is drawing the line. Is the policy now going to depend on medical condition? Who decides which medical issues qualify? And what will be the verification process to determine the veracity of the claim? How are they to be processed when 100,000 illegal immigrants are crossing the the border each month, and those are only the ones that are caught - which, with an appalling lack of borer patrol agents and physical border....who knows how many are REALLY coming over illegally (I can't emphasize the illegally part enough).

Despite many talking points as to neither party having a solution. Republicans have put forward proposals (as has the President) which dems have no interest in even considering. There intent is to see if the status quo - actually the quickly deteriorating problem even they now admit is a crisis (previously 'manufactured') - will win them future election victories.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    The problem with the senator bringing her over, medical condition not withstanding, is drawing the line. Is the policy now going to depend on medical condition? Who decides which medical issues qualify? And what will be the verification process to determine the veracity of the claim? How are they to be processed when 100,000 illegal immigrants are crossing the the border each month, and those are only the ones that are caught - which, with an appalling lack of borer patrol agents and physical border....who knows how many are REALLY coming over illegally (I can't emphasize the illegally part enough).

Despite many talking points as to neither party having a solution. Republicans have put forward proposals (as has the President) which dems have no interest in even considering. There intent is to see if the status quo - actually the quickly deteriorating problem even they now admit is a crisis (previously 'manufactured') - will win them future election victories.
    Exactly.

I welcome legal immigration. Obviously, immigrants from all walks of life, different races, and many nations made the United States.

But it has to be legal immigration. It has to be legal immigration of people who want to come here in order to become United States citizens. To become Americans. People who want to come here in order to build a life and then give back to society.

There is room for amnesty cases under that umbrella.

But this mass-flooding, illegal bullshit has to stop, especially when much of the optics involving it appear to involve people who are looking to come here for handouts and a government safety net.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post

If Dash's problem with it was that this was going to become policy, I stand corrected. He can twist and turn on it all he wants, I don't know why he sees it as worthwhile, but saying "No words" to a Senator helping a pregnant woman is comically dramatic. That response would have made sense for the dead daughter and dad in the river.

I think Trump's proposal is a good start. That being said, I believe stopping or slowing this migration is entirely unrealistic without changes within this country, not just at the border or in Latin American nations. The administration has cut aid to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador by about $560M to motivate them to slow migration. Unfortunately remittances are far more vital to them than aid. Remittances totaled $4.8 billion to Honduras, $5.4 billion to El Salvador and $9.5 billion to Guatemala in 2018. For comparison, Honduras' 2018 GDP was $23B. Then there are those escaping violence. More border agents, judges, walls, aid, minor asylum are not going to do anything to fix the underlying problem. This is, and will still be, their best shot.
    Last edited by Caf; 07-31-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Who is going to be in Marianne Williamson's cabinet? Oprah, obv, so I guess that means Gayle King and Stedman, too. But who else?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Who is going to be in Marianne Williamson's cabinet? Oprah, obv, so I guess that means Gayle King and Stedman, too. But who else?
    Her cabinet could just be The View.

Honestly I think we may see her jump in the polls. That audience was loving everything she said.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Exactly.

I welcome legal immigration. Obviously, immigrants from all walks of life, different races, and many nations made the United States.

But it has to be legal immigration. It has to be legal immigration of people who want to come here in order to become United States citizens. To become Americans. People who want to come here in order to build a life and then give back to society.

There is room for amnesty cases under that umbrella.

But this mass-flooding, illegal bullshit has to stop, especially when much of the optics involving it appear to involve people who are looking to come here for handouts and a government safety net.
    Isn't seeking asylum at a point of entry legal immigration? Seems like announcing your plans in advance and turning yourself over at the border is really dumb way to try to sneak illegally in at the border. I agree that illegal border crossings are illegal (obviously), but it seems like the media and politicians have grouped illegal border crossings with asylum seekers.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    Isn't seeking asylum at a point of entry legal immigration? Seems like announcing your plans in advance and turning yourself over at the border is really dumb way to try to sneak illegally in at the border. I agree that illegal border crossings are illegal (obviously), but it seems like the media and politicians have grouped illegal border crossings with asylum seekers.
    I think seeking asylum is about seeking asylum: There are two primary ways in which a person may apply for asylum in the United States: the affirmative process and the defensive process. Asylum seekers who arrive at a U.S. port of entry or enter the United States without inspection generally must apply through the defensive asylum process. Under the affirmative asylum process, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) requires USCIS to schedule the initial interview within 45 days after the application is filed and make a decision within 180 days after the application date.

Then there are those who legally migrate to this country who do so through the defined process and (I presume) who are focused on becoming full American citizens. Every once in awhile, we see pictures of such people proudly taking the pledge of allegiance.

CAF, I'll try this one more time with you: I had no words for a U.S. Senator from Oregon who went into Mexico and essentially embedded himself with a group of immigrants for the purpose of springing on a border guard once this woman, in particular, was denied access to the United States by that entry point.

A U.S. Senator.

Taking a stroll in Mexico amongst the downtrodden and there to save one pregnant woman.

With a lot of cameras around to take it all in.

That newsbite became a tipping point for me in all this. Enough is enough.

That dimwit should be in Washington, along with fellow Republican and Democrat dimwits - it's come to that, given how they simply have virtually polarized against one another - to bring order to this problem.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I think seeking asylum is about seeking asylum: There are two primary ways in which a person may apply for asylum in the United States: the affirmative process and the defensive process. Asylum seekers who arrive at a U.S. port of entry or enter the United States without inspection generally must apply through the defensive asylum process. Under the affirmative asylum process, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) requires USCIS to schedule the initial interview within 45 days after the application is filed and make a decision within 180 days after the application date.
    And, importantly, you must actually qualify for asylum. To do that the immigrant must establish he/she/they/X/Y/Z/P/D/Q was "unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of, [their home country] because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion."

Calling someone an asylum seeker does not make them one, despite what a certain political party says.
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

Seems like Tulsi Gabbard and Andrew Yang were the big winners in last night's debate. Those are two of the Democratic candidates I could handle as President, so it's good news. Biden is another, and I don't think he hurt himself yesterday. Harris is not someone I want close to being President, so I'm glad Tulsi murdered her last night.

Who's going to the rally tonight?