Page 420 of 2125 FirstFirst ... 3203704104184194204214224304705209201420 ... LastLast
Results 4,191 to 4,200 of 21247

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    That will just make it easier for Trump to bring up all the sound bites of what they’re saying now and pointing out all the giveaways and tax hikes needed to pay for them, the soft board security, etc. Those things might sound fine in NY and CA, but won’t play well in flyover country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I firmly believe there will be a day of fiscal reckoning in those states as well that will make any sane voter question these irresponsible policies. If there are any sane voters left. Come to think of it, I'm not sure there are enough left now to make any difference anyway.

When are the big corporations going to start running from these financially oppressive climates?
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    To clarify, those who believe in medicare-for-all/single payer believe we should cover and pay for undocumented migrants. Those who believe in the obamacare route support undocumented migrants being able to pay for it through the system.
    Good point and distinction. Serious question CAF as I’m trying to figure this out. When you say for thosewho believe in Obamacare for undocumented, are you referring to candidates or people in general who support it? Not sure this was the original intent from the Democrats when it was rolled out. When Obama discussed this during his 2009 speech to joint session of Congress, he said Obamacare was not for undocumented receiving healthcare which led to the infamous Joe Wilson outburst “you lie.” Can I assume this stance has changed?

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Good point and distinction. Serious question CAF as I’m trying to figure this out. When you say for thosewho believe in Obamacare for undocumented, are you referring to candidates or people in general who support it? Not sure this was the original intent from the Democrats when it was rolled out. When Obama discussed this during his 2009 speech to joint session of Congress, he said Obamacare was not for undocumented receiving healthcare which led to the infamous Joe Wilson outburst “you lie.” Can I assume this stance has changed?
    Candidates. Mayor Pete specifically said they'd be able to buy into it. I'd be shocked if Biden wouldn't say the same, though I haven't been following close enough to be sure. I honestly don't know the names of the other candidates who want to keep private insurance and Obamacare haha.

One thing that confused me during the debate was they all said they support "universal health care". I thought that meant single payer, but apparently it just means everyone has insurance/access to it.

Hickenlooper loves capitalism, private insurance and supports Obamacare. He started and owned a brewery in a marijuana state. He took his mom to see Deep Throat. What else do you need?
    2023 Sweet 16

And he's polling at like negative 5% with the Dems.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    And he's polling at like negative 5% with the Dems.
    Of course.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I think someone asked some version of this already, but if colleges are the ones who got the money that is the subject of the debt forgiveness in the first place, why are we taxing Wall Street to fund the debt forgiveness and not finding a way to get it from oh, I don't know, colleges?
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Agreed - this specific Sanders front drives me nuts.

I still see no actual solution to any of this being proposed by the Dems or the GOP. Any plan to curb student debt going forward that does not include denying loans and allowing borrowers to default on loans is a sham. Let capitalism work and deny kids from getting mountains of capital for ridiculous, and ridiculously expensive, degrees.
    This is a tough one. College costs have gone crazy since the 1980's, and it's hard not to see the availability of nearly unlimited capital for students to borrow as playing a major role in that. Now that we are in the midst of it, it's a tough one to solve. I do think that the Universities should be forced to cut (mostly administrative) costs. I can't cost that much more to run a College now than it did 20 years ago. Ultimately affordable state school tuition would seem to be an answer to a lot of the problem, but students also have to exercise fiscal responsibility and major in fields of study in which there are jobs.

I wonder if we will get to a point where companies will loan different amounts of money for different fields of study. For example: If I'm lending some one $250K for Medical School (assuming that they graduate) I'm very likely to get repaid. If I'm loaning someone $250K to study sociology at Amherst I would think I'm much less likely to be repaid.
    Eat Donuts!

Nike Nixes ‘Betsy Ross Flag’ Sneaker After Colin Kaepernick Intervenes - WSJ

Ok this one is insane.

Arizona Governor Pulls State Aid for Nike Plant Over Betsy Ross-Colin Kaepernick Controversy - WSJ

And to be fair this is also pretty insane.

Nike plans to invest $185 million to open a manufacturing facility in Goodyear, Ariz., that would employ about 500 people, according to city records. On Monday, the Goodyear City Council approved a package of incentives that would reimburse the company about $1 million in planning fees and about $4,000 per full-time employee Nike hires, according to city records.

I'm ready to make my endorsement in the Democratic Primary. I'd probably be okay with Biden winning, and I might even vote for him (not that my Kansas vote matters), but the only Democrat I would actively support is Andrew Yang. His being the only candidate to come out and unequivocally denounce the beating of Andy Ngo in Portland by Antifa thugs over the weekend (with so much of the Left being somewhere between "I loved it" to "Yeah, it shouldn't have happened, but he kind of deserved it") put me over the top.

Insane. Totally insane. If Nike wants to give Colin Kaepernick veto power over their shoe designs they should at least do it before they ship them out to stores. They can put him on payroll. Director of "Wokeness" or some such bullshit.
    Eat Donuts!