Page 629 of 2104 FirstFirst ... 12952957961962762862963063163967972911291629 ... LastLast
Results 6,281 to 6,290 of 21031

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Here we go again with the racial politics crap. Trump wants American citizens to have good jobs. American citizens of all colors. That's why, before the pandemic, Black unemployment was at an all time low. All the conservatives and Republicans I know have no problem with "LEGAL" immigration, or people "who don't like us". So, stop that nonsense.

I'm a conservative before I am a Republican so most of the time I vote Republican. I'm staunchly pro-life, pro 2nd amendment, and I believe in school choice. I want a smaller government too, and for our government to stay out of our lives for the most part (which the Repubs have been pretty poor in regards to). If a candidate is pro-choice or anti 2nd amendment, I won't be voting for them, period. That's why I've never voted for a Democrat in my life, and probably never will. Even if there was a Dem candidate that was, which would never happen today, because they would be chased out of the party, I wouldn't vote for them because of their party platform.
    Right. All of those things are fine, and I understand why someone who holds those views would vote for Trump. I don't understand why you would continue to defend him. You know that you can vote for someone as the lesser of two evils without convincing yourself that they are somehow a good candidate or President?
    Eat Donuts!

Politics Thread

Ok...so no one is changing anyone’s opinion. Wash, rinse, repeat. Got it. I agree that this political thread may be the most civil on the internet...but...yuck.

Name calling has got to stop. Aren’t we better than this? I know the President isn’t...doesn’t mean we can’t be.
    Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 07-01-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    So, once again, I'm not a Democrat. Never have been. I understand how difficult that must be for you to comprehend, but I am an independent. I make my decisions based on the individual candidates and platforms, which is why my voting record is all over the board. I know that many of you seem to feel the need to build your candidate of choice in to some type of false idol that you worship that the expense of virtually any possible value you could ever hold. Remember when Republicans cared about the budget deficit? I still do - which is incidentally a big part of why I voted for Romney over Obama in 2012.

My opinion is that you are actually sort of right about Trump beating the Democrats at their own game, but not for the reasons you outline. Trump was the first Republican to abandon fiscal conservatism of any kind and simply promise people that if he was their new Daddy that he would take care of all of their problems. He wrapped that in the time honored tradition of blaming people that look different than you, and created a potent cocktail that riled up enough blue collar workers in the Rust Belt for him to win.

Finally, if you think what Trump did TO HIS OWN PARTY (forget about to Hillary - let's just talk primaries) was on the same level as the criticism that Romney faced in 2012 then I think you are being willfully ignorant in some sort of attempt to justify your support for this complete idiot as President.
    I don't care what political party you are. That's why I put you/Democrats.

He's not the first Republican to abandon fiscal conservatism, he's simply the first one to not promise to be one (and then abandon it like they all do).

I think Trump was unfair to Cruz. To the others, I found it sometimes pretty dumb but funny. But if I'm forgetting something really over the line, then I could be corrected. For instance, "Little Marco" is dumb, not offensive, but for some reason I find hilarious.

My opinion is that you are actually sort of right about Trump beating the Democrats at their own game, but not for the reasons you outline. Trump was the first Republican to abandon fiscal conservatism of any kind and simply promise people that if he was their new Daddy that he would take care of all of their problems. He wrapped that in the time honored tradition of blaming people that look different than you, and created a potent cocktail that riled up enough blue collar workers in the Rust Belt for him to win.

Finally, if you think what Trump did TO HIS OWN PARTY (forget about to Hillary - let's just talk primaries) was on the same level as the criticism that Romney faced in 2012 then I think you are being willfully ignorant in some sort of attempt to justify your support for this complete idiot as President.
    Wish Trump wasn’t such an asshole, has trouble telling the truth and so arrogant. With that said, I have enjoyed some his policies. The First step act, tax cuts, nominating libertarian leaning Gorsuch, what he’s done for the economy, allowing states to make their own decisions during covid to name a few.

Of course the bad (the ones aforementioned at the beginning) outrageous spending and what it’s done to our deficit, not setting a good example during covid, lack of empathy at times (minus First Step), and hurting our image with our allies (note: I don’t mind expecting them to pay their fair share). Believe it or not, their are some who just like some the results and don’t follow him blindly as you have described.

Finally, you’re right, politics is dirty and Trump has gotten out of control several times. However, I also agree with Juice. MSM helps Democrats shape their message of branding Republicans as being intolerant, which they never seem to defend themselves. I’m sure for some, they finally have someone who isn’t shy calling out MSM’s bullshit.
    Last edited by noteggs; 07-01-2020 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Typo

I'm a conservative before I am a Republican so most of the time I vote Republican. I'm staunchly pro-life, pro 2nd amendment,
    You're going to like this guy then:

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Wish Trump wasn’t such an asshole, has trouble telling the truth and so arrogant. With that said, I have enjoyed some his policies. The First step act, tax cuts, nominating libertarian leaning Gorsuch, what he’s done for the economy, allowing states to make their own decisions during covid to name a few.

Of course the bad (the ones aforementioned at the beginning) outrageous spending and what it’s done to our deficit, not setting a good example during covid, lack of empathy at times (minus First Step), and hurting our image with our allies (note: I don’t mind expecting them to pay their fair share). Believe it or not, their are some who just like some the results and don’t follow him blindly as you have described.

Finally, you’re right, politics is dirty and Trump has gotten out of control several times. However, I also agree with Juice. MSM helps Democrats shape their message of branding Republicans as being intolerant, which they never seem to defend themselves. I’m sure for some, they finally have someone who isn’t shy calling out MSM’s bullshit.
    I agree with a lot of this. I'm against deficit funded tax cuts , so while I enjoyed the extra money (partially offset by SALT changes) I wasn't a fan from a policy perspective. I wasn't bent out of shape about it though.

I think it's unfortunate that they went full Trump from a 'defending themselves' perspective . That's a pretty big step change. Along with that I think that the Republican party compromised way too may of (what used to be) their core values just to have a guy who 'calls out the media'. I don't really know how big of a win that was from a policy perspective.

Just consider the juxtaposition between a party who values independence and states rights and the pseudo-totalitarian rhetoric that Trump frequently employs. How do you balance those two beliefs? Assume/hope he's just kidding?
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    You're going to like this guy then:

I'll bet he doesn't. They will smear this guy just like they did Mattis when he dared to criticize Trump. Nothing is more important than loyalty to Trump, and he (Trump) wouldn't have it any other way.
    Eat Donuts!

I'll bet he doesn't. They will smear this guy just like they did Mattis when he dared to criticize Trump. Nothing is more important than loyalty to Trump, and he (Trump) wouldn't have it any other way.
    Should Trump get an opinion only when his tax returns go public?

How his little inner circle fawns over him is embarrassing!

Just consider the juxtaposition between a party who values independence and states rights and the pseudo-totalitarian rhetoric that Trump frequently employs. How do you balance those two beliefs? Assume/hope he's just kidding?
    What are these pseudo-totalitarian statements that Trump speaks? Please expound.

On another note, this is getting out of control. Another person fired for simply stating, "I despair for our future as a nation if we do not stand up against violence against anyone. BLACK LIVES MATTER, but also, EVERYONE'S LIFE MATTERS."

How many people have been fired recently for saying that? The tolerant left...yep.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=15157

Supporting Member
    What are these pseudo-totalitarian statements that Trump speaks? Please expound.

On another note, this is getting out of control. Another person fired for simply stating, "I despair for our future as a nation if we do not stand up against violence against anyone. BLACK LIVES MATTER, but also, EVERYONE'S LIFE MATTERS."

How many people have been fired recently for saying that? The tolerant left...yep.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=15157
    This has become scary-similar to the Nazi party rise in Germany. If anyone thinks that’s hyperbole, go read your history books.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"