Page 1392 of 2103 FirstFirst ... 392892129213421382139013911392139313941402144214921892 ... LastLast
Results 13,911 to 13,920 of 21026

Thread: Politics Thread

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Sounds like the private sector is already taking care of the transportation issue.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/03/busin...sts/index.html
    Will be interesting to see if Disney takes a similar stance and if DeSantos retaliates against them like he did when they objected to Florida’s so called “don’t say gay” bill.

Disney, Apple, Amazon, etc., have all said they’ll provide transportation and housing to blue states where abortion is legal.

What I find hypocritical about Disney is they edited the new Buzz Lightyear movie to remove the same sex kiss scene between two characters in the version that’s released in countries where same sex relationships are banned.

If they were true to their stated company philosophy, they’d tell those countries to take a hike and say the scene stays. Instead, they cave in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Disney, Apple, Amazon, etc., have all said they’ll provide transportation and housing to blue states where abortion is legal.

What I find hypocritical about Disney is they edited the new Buzz Lightyear movie to remove the same sex kiss scene between two characters in the version that’s released in countries where same sex relationships are banned.

If they were true to their stated company philosophy, they’d tell those countries to take a hike and say the scene stays. Instead, they cave in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This was predictable. Other businesses will likely follow suit. What about private liberal arts colleges? Will they start providing resources to students who want to terminate a pregnancy? If so, what's to stop them?

What is also likely is that more places that perform abortions will open in the states where it is legal. The majority of abortions performed now do not even require a surgical procedure. It's a combination of pills. I think it's also possible that sooner or later (and perhaps sooner) doctors will begin to prescribe the pills to people who live out of state for...I don't know..."ulcerative pains" or something like that, and send them in the mail. An abortion typically costs between $700 and $800 dollars without insurance. Most people who decide they want one and are willing to pay for one will also find a way to drive to another state or find a way to get themselves there.

When the dust settles (which I suppose could take a while), I really don't know how much the number of abortions performed in this country will actually decline. It will probably decline some, but perhaps not by a substantial amount. A lot of people who are happy about the ruling probably don't realize how small the reduction in abortions will actually be. A lot of people who are hopping mad about this probably don't realize that most people who decide they want an abortion will still be able to get one.

If you're really pro-life, shouldn't the primary concern be reducing the number of abortions that are performed?? I think the best way to do that is to look at what makes people decide to get an abortion, and then offering to help them with those issues. I know that's a very radical concept. Overturning Roe v Wade is not the best way to do that. People can still get abortions regardless of what states they live in. There will start to be resources available to them that weren't available before. In fact we are already starting to see that.
    Last edited by xubrew; 06-28-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Praying at sporting events is kind of dumb. I'm pretty sure God doesn't care who wins...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/27/u...h-prayers.html
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Pretty sure the prayers are after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Pretty sure the prayers are after the game.
    It's too late then.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

"Thanks God for winning that game for us" or

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    "Thanks God for winning that game for us" or

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I'm pretty sure God doesn't care who wins...
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Praying at sporting events is kind of dumb. I'm pretty sure God doesn't care who wins...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/27/u...h-prayers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Why do presume to know what he prays for?

Had to decide which election denier got my vote today.
    2023 Sweet 16