Page 491 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 3914414814894904914924935015415919911491 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Currently at the hospital where my wife is having outpatient surgery. Our vascular surgeon was born and is from Colombia. Great guy.
    I asked him a question about the troubles down there and he said it was getting better because the government finally had the balls to crack down on the drug lords and they signed a peace treaty. He also said, however, that many of the more minor, but still dangerous underlords that had been involved in Colombia’s drug trade had relocated to Mexico, and made a mess of things in many places there.
    Then he dropped the bombshell that he was 1000% in favor of the border wall. He said he really wasn’t a “Trump Guy” but the border policy was right all the way. He said also that many of the human traffickers who were “shepherding” people out of Colombia at its worst point, were now plying their trade in Mexico. He closed by saying that anybody who was a bleeding heart about the US being strong at the border was an “idiota”. I think you can probably translate.
    For what it’s worth from a native South American.
    I think this was the longest version of the "I just left a hipster coffee shop" meme I have seen.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    MOR, I didn't link to that article for the guy's opinions. I did it for the facts he enumerates.

- the tax cut benefits the 1% and .1% even more. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th quintiles will see an increase
    - the median wage for a full time male worker is lower than it was 40 years ago
    - the tax cuts resulted in record stock buy backs, and pushed the deficit to 1 trillion a year
    - foreign borrowing is increasing rapidly
    - the trade deficit continues to grow

Hopefully we are not in for a repeat of 2008.
    That only 1% benefitted is crap. Either that, or by some quirk of fate, I, a middle class retiree, am somehow in the 1%, because my taxes went down by $1000.
    Plus anyone who has stock, or an IRA or 401k benefitted. That's way more than 1%. Anyone with a half way decent job has a company 401k, most retirees have some type of retirement account. Those all increased in the last 3 years. Millions of run of the mill, middle class folks benefitted. Did people in NYC, New Jersey, Chicago or LA benefit ? maybe not, sorry for their luck.

Short term you got a benefit, and we added a trillion to the deficit.
    Long term that benefit will expire except for the very top of the heap.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

You can cut through trump's wall with a $100 reciprocating saw from home depot in a few minutes. trump even admitted it.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    You can cut through trump's wall with a $100 reciprocating saw from home depot in a few minutes. trump even admitted it.
    Do you favor open borders?
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    i agree we should reinforce it and fill it in with concrete

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Do you favor open borders?
    Do you support a 2000 mile porous structure?
    2023 Sweet 16

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Short term you got a benefit, and we added a trillion to the deficit.
    Long term that benefit will expire except for the very top of the heap.
    Well... not exactly. Despite the tax cuts, the US Government took took in more revenue in FY2019 than ever before in history. https://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/..._revenue_chart

But... you are correct that we added to the deficit, but it’s because our crooked political friends (both parties and the President) can’t stop spending like drunken sailors, not because of the tax cuts.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Obviously the Democratic talking points are going to be about the top 1 percent (the have and have nots). It always has been, but it might be a harder narrative to use this time for the middle class. Are they better off, some people think so and not so much for others. It all depends on what people read and which political party they’re part of.

Here’s an article that concludes the middle class is doing better financially. Ironically using same data (Census Bureau’s) which was used by the Economist who won the Nobel. Not saying which one is correct, but shouldn’t we be rooting for all Americans? Was going to throw in my two cents about revenues, but just saw Muskie in Dayton’s post and think he nailed it.

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/arti...od_103941.html

They’re all hypocrites. As I’ve said before, if the facts were the same, but it was a democratic president saying the same thing to the president of Ukraine, the Republicans would be calling for impeachment and the Democrats and media would be saying the impeachment is a political hatchet job.

This link shows the Democrats and media essentially saying the thing the Republicans are saying now during the Clinton impeachment. There is one difference, President Clinton actually did commit a crime by lying under oath to the FBI.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/b...n-impeachment/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.