Page 826 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 32672677681682482582682782883687692613261826 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,260 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Huh, interesting. The reason I’ve gravitated toward the Republican Party is because the Democrats have become completely intolerant of other beliefs. There’s also an element of anti-gay and anti-Semitic. Maybe I need some more mainstream media brainwashing.
    Can you help me understand this in more detail?

I'm very interested in how the Republican Party is less 'anti-gay' than the Democratic party. I'll give you an example: Many folks on the (mostly religious) right made a hero out of the Clerk of Courts in Kentucky who wouldn't issue marriage licences to gay couples. This wasn't a private business refusing to bake a gay wedding cake, but rather a government employee refusing to perform the duties of their office.

I assume the anti-Semitic comment is rooted in the Democrats' stance on Israel, which I do understand.
    Eat Donuts!

There are a number of movements on the left side (whether you want to attribute them to the Democrats or not) that are anti-Semitic (or anti-Semitic adjacent to use some of the fun terms). The Women's March and BLM both have leaders that have been known to dabble in anti-Semitism. There's also a growing strain of critical race theory/intersectionalism on the left (again, not necessarily tied to the party itself) that sees everything through the lens of race and oppression. And those folks love to discriminate based on race/gender. As a matter of fact, there's a whole movement in California to change the state constitution to explicitly ALLOW discrimination based on sex and gender. It's like bizarro 1962 out there these days.

Note that there's also ENORMOUS opposition on the left to Trump's executive order banning certain types of diversity and inclusion training. Here is the text of the order. Please tell me the part of this that you have a problem with.

PRESIDENT TRUMP ISSUES EXECUTIVE ORDER 13950 TO COMBAT RACE AND SEX STEREOTYPING/ SCAPEGOATING, AND IMPOSES NEW REQUIREMENTS ON GOVERNMENT CONTRACTORS
    On September 22, 2020, President Trump issued Executive Order 13950, “on Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping,” prohibiting the federal government, companies with federal contracts, and recipients of federal grants from promoting “race or sex stereotyping or scapegoating” by, among other things, conducting training that includes the following “divisive concepts”:
    1. One race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex;
    2. An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously;
    3. An individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of his or her race or sex;
    4. Members of one race or sex cannot and should not attempt to treat others without respect to race or sex;
    5. An individual’s moral character is necessarily determined by his or her race or sex;
    6. An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex;
    7. Any individual should feel discomfort guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race or sex; or
    8. Meritocracy or traits such as hard work ethic are racist or sexist, or were created by a particular race to oppress another race.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Can you help me understand this in more detail?

I'm very interested in how the Republican Party is less 'anti-gay' than the Democratic party. .
    I don't think that anyone is saying the Republicans are more pro-gay than Dems. Just because one party is tends to be a louder advocate for gay rights, doesn't make the other party homophobic. Which is how republicans are often painted. It's like saying the democrats are anti-military because they support less spending..which is also complete shit
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Sophomore
    Same with all republicans not caring about the environment. These arguments are so outdated but many liberals still fall for this

Shorter Tucker Carlson: the dog ate my homework.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwillie View Post
    Same with all republicans not caring about the environment. These arguments are so outdated but many liberals still fall for this
    Just an observation of mine (not calling xuwillie out at all. It just made me think of something)....

Anyone ever notice that your liberal tree hugger save the whales and save the Earth friends are complete slobs? You go into their house and it looks like a tornado hit it.

On the flip side, your conservative friends that think carbon omissions and large factory food production is doing nothing to harm the environment and look at the EPA as being complete nonsense are neat freaks? Their houses are spotlessly clean!

That has always struck me as ironic.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    I don't think that anyone is saying the Republicans are more pro-gay than Dems. Just because one party is tends to be a louder advocate for gay rights, doesn't make the other party homophobic. Which is how republicans are often painted. It's like saying the democrats are anti-military because they support less spending..which is also complete shit
    Huh, interesting. The reason I’ve gravitated toward the Republican Party is because the Democrats have become completely intolerant of other beliefs. There’s also an element of anti-gay and anti-Semitic. Maybe I need some more mainstream media brainwashing.
    I wouldn't think so, but this was the quote I was responding to and it certainly seemed to be saying just that. Which is why I asked for clarification. There seemed to be a direct contract and some cause / effect implication.

While many Republicans aren't anti-gay, there certainly seems to be a large group (generally religiously motivated) that has been very keen on, for example, denying gays the right to marry. Obviously there are groups within the liberal umbrella that also think pretty unfavorably of gays, however it hasn't been a legislative agenda for any significant part of the Democratic party as a mainstream entity.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    While many Republicans aren't anti-gay, there certainly seems to be a large group (generally religiously motivated) that has been very keen on, for example, denying gays the right to marry.
    Is it really a large group, or does it just seem that way because of how the media portrays it? Most of my friends are on the conservative side of the aisle. Many of them are pretty religious, too, attending their respective churches on a consistent basis. None of them are anti gay or oppose same sex marriage. Granted, that’s not a scientifically valid sample. Still, I really don’t think most people, even us evil Republicans, care about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Is it really a large group, or does it just seem that way because of how the media portrays it? Most of my friends are on the conservative side of the aisle. Many of them are pretty religious, too, attending their respective churches on a consistent basis. None of them are anti gay or oppose same sex marriage. Granted, that’s not a scientifically valid sample. Still, I really don’t think most people, even us evil Republicans, care about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I mean in 2004 61% of Ohio opposed gay marriage and voted to make it unconstitutional. (which obviously contained a number of Democrats too since the presidential election went 50-48 to Bush)

Objectively speaking, it is quite amazing how quickly the tide has turned on the issue.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack