Page 208 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 1081581982062072082092102182583087081208 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

A good overview of the existing legal framework:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3c11bd255e3a

And what makes it hard these days to figure out what is really going on with anything it seems:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.dd5757ec1e8a
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I expect everyone to yell and rabble rabble about Trudeau now too

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ates-1.4709632

Last year, 151 minors were detained with their parents in Canadian immigration holding centres.

Eleven others were held in custody unaccompanied by an adult, according to the Canada Border Services Agency.

Apparently the Liar-in-Chief has flipped again.
    2023 Sweet 16

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Thank you booze. That’s exactly what I’m saying.

X-man if the left is going to keep trying to split hairs on this they’re going to end up proving Trump right. You’re either okay with us detaining minors under Obama and Trump or you’re against it under both or you’re a hypocrite. Making qualifications about it is a fools errand. The border is a gray area where officers have no clue which kid belongs to which adult, if they’re kidnapped, working with cartels or just coming over with Mom and Dad. Regardless, these are kids taken from their homes either by their parents or by cartels in the guide case. Detaining them alone without charge, regardless of what relationship they have with the adults they were with, is against fundamental rights of our country.
    Why can't I be OK with detaining minors if they are consciously breaking the law, but not if they are innocent bystanders to their parents being arrested on "Trumped-up" charges?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Why can't I be OK with detaining minors if they are consciously breaking the law, but not if they are innocent bystanders to their parents being arrested on "Trumped-up" charges?
    Because they had no intention of charging those minors for "consciously" breaking the law.

I am really confused as to why someone who is so upset about what is happening today feels compelled to defend the government holding minors without filing charges 3 years ago.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Because they had no intention of charging those minors for "consciously" breaking the law.

I am really confused as to why someone who is so upset about what is happening today feels compelled to defend the government holding minors without filing charges 3 years ago.
    If you can't see the distinction, we're done here.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Personally, I agree that it was wrong to hold them under Obama if they had no intention of charging them, but I can’t fathom how you don’t understand difference in the level of outrage

On one hand, you have children who chose to take a specific action that they knew wasn’t lawful. I realize that they may have felt they had no choice (I.e. cartels forced them, etc.), but generally my understanding is that these detentions were related to actual crimes/criminals beyond the illegal entry. Am I mistaken there?

On the other hand, you have border patrol agents turning away people seeking asylum at the port of entry, basically forcing them to an illegal entry point. The children here are completely separate from any wrongdoing. And our own government is creating the “crime “!

Of course people will be more outraged! And I disagree with some of Obama’s policies regarding immigration as well, but I think they are at least debatable. Maybe I’ve been misinformed or have missed something, though. Please enlighten me if that’s the case.
    "Some of our guys thought defense was a town in Chile. Other guys thought defense was something you put up around d-house to keep out d-dog and d-cat." Pete Gillen

Haha the man sure is a genius when it comes to his twitter account

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...36237881847808

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Haha the man sure is a genius when it comes to his twitter account

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...36237881847808
    That’s one word you could use to describe him. I think weak, greedy, narcissistic, megalomaniac fits better. But that’s just me. The only reason he flip-flopped is that it wasn’t polling well on either side. Now he’s going to take credit for “fixing the problem.”
    "Some of our guys thought defense was a town in Chile. Other guys thought defense was something you put up around d-house to keep out d-dog and d-cat." Pete Gillen

Quote Originally Posted by GenerationX View Post
    That’s one word you could use to describe him. I think weak, greedy, narcissistic, megalomaniac fits better. But that’s just me. The only reason he flip-flopped is that it wasn’t polling well on either side. Now he’s going to take credit for “fixing the problem.”
    I have only seen this poll but I don't know if you're right on that: https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/1009521625472040960

And he's done a lot more to fix the problem than anyone else at this point. You may question his motives or question his views in relation to yours, but if this has been going on since 2014/2015 (at least), who else has addressed it until now?