Page 406 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 3063563964044054064074084164565069061406 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,060 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Thinking both are bad, aka having principles not defined by party, is very liberating.
    This. It's amazing how few people seem to be willing, or capable, of doing so. This extends to people who are generally intelligent and successful individuals.

It also helps you to understand how large groups of people can become complicit in atrocious acts - look throughout history and one thing that you will see repeatedly is that people tend to want to be told what to think and what to do, and that they will break into groups and 'war' with other groups. In the case of the US political theater the War isn't an actual physical War, but a war with clear battle lines. Even a country like America that was founded on the principles of independent thought isn't immune. How crazy is it that we have (basically) two political parties for a country of 300+MM and yet for the majority of the adherents to those parties everything that their party does is right (in their mind) and everything that the other party does is wrong.

This is not what our founding fathers would have wanted, IMHO.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Good to know, since she ain't the pres., NEWSFLASH
    Umm...she was Secretary of State when this was going on. You don’t have to be president and prohibits “public officials” from accepting a title of nobility, office, or gift from any foreign country. You quoted it yourself in your prior post.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Thinking both are bad, aka having principles not defined by party, is very liberating.
    thinking both are bad and caring about and acting on those thoughts are two different things. please point me to any of bobbie's screeds about hillary clinton's conflicts of interest while she was secretary of state or running for the presidency

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    C) This ridiculousness of the Democrats trying to impeach over a flimsy obstruction charge is ludicrous. Fact is that the initial Mueller investigation was a result of a concocted scheme by the Dems through a falsified FISA warrrant which misled the court and caused this "surveillance" on Trump which resulted in zero.
    This is my favorite conspiracy theory. The Democrats in the summer of 2016 concocted a deep state plan to spy on the Trump campaign in order to release those findings after Trump won the election in order to impeach him. This plan went all the way to the top of the FBI where they director publicly announced weeks before the election an investigation into Hillary Clinton while saying nothing about the investigation that was going on with the Trump campaign. Got to say this cabal really nailed the execution of this plan.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Patently false allegations against Kavanaugh?

Well, that explains why the Republicans failed to call the witness who was in the room.
    We can just go with the time honored "he said...she said" and decide her allegations were patently false, because...well, because he said they were.
    No need to call the witness.

Come on, for Christ sake.
    Yeah, come on!!
    No corroborating witnesses. Including the ones Ford tried to use.
    No support from Ford’s family.
    No explanation as to how the timeline detailed by Ford could not match up between the house and the club.
    No explanation as to how Ford got all the way Home.
    Why did Ford have 2 lawyers at her table “advising” her when it was not a trial? And Kavanaugh had none?
    Why did Feinstein wait over 60 days to bring this hot letter to light?
    Oh. And what happened to all that supporting evidence like Ford’s alleged psychologists notes that never, EVER, showed up despite being promised to the Committee.

He said/She said it was not. It was She blatantly lied or was blatantly delusional. Period

This circus was even more of a high tech lynching than the Clarence Thomas debacle. Ford skated away with almost $1 million in Go Fund Me money, with zero accountability. An absolutely shameful exhibition of Democrat buffoonery.

Show me some evidence Paul, cause no one else has, especially charlatan Avenatti.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 05-31-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

This would great if it happens! Honestly I respect AOC’s position here (Cruz too). She could’ve made millions herself on climate change issues alone once she leaves office. Gotta give credit where credit is do.

Sounds interesting...but I can't get through the paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Sounds interesting...but I can't get through the paywall.

Here's the "meat" of it.

“I don’t think it should be legal at ALL to become a corporate lobbyist if you’ve served in Congress,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote.

Shortly thereafter, Cruz retweeted her and put in motion the most shocking political pairing in American history, or at least in recent memory.

“Here’s something I don’t say often: on this point, I AGREE with @AOC,” Cruz tweeted. “Indeed, I have long called for a LIFETIME BAN on former Members of Congress becoming lobbyists. The Swamp would hate it, but perhaps a chance for some bipartisan cooperation?”

So, Ocasio-Cortez posited this: If they could agree on a straight ban on members of Congress becoming paid lobbyists with no partisan add-ons, she would co-write the bill with him.

“@tedcruz if you’re serious about a clean bill, then I’m down,” she said. “Let’s make a deal.”

About 20 minutes later, Cruz responded: “You’re on.”

Not an issue I'm particularly passionate about, but I appreciate it when the two sides play nice on issues where they agree even if they disagree on a lot of other things.