Page 2072 of 2117 FirstFirst ... 10721572197220222062207020712072207320742082 ... LastLast
Results 20,711 to 20,720 of 21169

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    Thomas pretty well guaranteed it in his concurring opinion in Dobbs. He is openly inviting challengers so the Court could reconsider it positions on birth control, private consensual sex, and gay marriage ("For that reason, in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell.")

I think there is a real fear of certain parts of the Country, especially in the South, becoming a theocracy.

Finally, the Alabama court ruling is so scary because it found that an embryo is a child in terms of an already written wrongful death statute. It is not a far leap to find those same embyos are children under the already written murder statute. It would make the actions taken by you and Xville murder. That is just fucking bat shit insane and a slap in the face of the countless numbers of families that have gone through this process in the hope of becoming parents or growing their family.
    I may be wrong but I think this is the part the Alabama Dems and the Pubs saw in the ruling that they are quickly trying to legislate against. Correct? I thought that's what i read but maybe I dreamt that lol.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I may be wrong but I think this is the part the Alabama Dems and the Pubs saw in the ruling that they are quickly trying to legislate against. Correct? I thought that's what i read but maybe I dreamt that lol.
    I do not know the ins and outs of Alabama law, but it would seem to me if it is based on an interpretation of the Alabama constitution, it would take a constitutional amendment to fix it (which may be possible through just the legislature, but I do not know).
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    I do not know the ins and outs of Alabama law, but it would seem to me if it is based on an interpretation of the Alabama constitution, it would take a constitutional amendment to fix it (which may be possible through just the legislature, but I do not know).
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...es/ar-BB1iMu7v

This is something that I found.

Sick wackos have a 1/6 pinball machine At Cpac
    2023 Sweet 16

I read through some of the opinion and I am not sure how they could legislate a fix. The opinion directly references embryos in or outside a womb. What makes this more interesting is that in my case I believe the storage facility was not in my home state. What is there are storage facilities in Alabama for patients not in that state and vice versa.

The other obvious issue I think the justice did not consider is whether residents could claim embryos on their state taxes as dependents and take the child tax credit. I knew instances of couples with one all the way up to ten embryos. Wife and I had I believe 14 eggs but just five embryos. The net gain on taxes would far exceed the storage fees.

What if a storage facility has a power outage caused by a severe storm/hurricane/tornado? Is that murder or manslaughter? I am having a real hard time understanding this decision.

FWIW, I am avoiding citations of the bible intentionally so the discussion doesn't go off the rails.

Basically in Alabama if you get IVF and succeed immensely with many embryos, you are on the hook for storage fees for life. Or, you have to donate/give your embryos up but have to understand you have children out in the world and know nothing of their care. Do those families have to sign away any parenting rights?

The issues are a massive quagmire of things to consider that would make the most intelligent lawmaker cringe.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    I read through some of the opinion and I am not sure how they could legislate a fix. The opinion directly references embryos in or outside a womb. What makes this more interesting is that in my case I believe the storage facility was not in my home state. What is there are storage facilities in Alabama for patients not in that state and vice versa.

The other obvious issue I think the justice did not consider is whether residents could claim embryos on their state taxes as dependents and take the child tax credit. I knew instances of couples with one all the way up to ten embryos. Wife and I had I believe 14 eggs but just five embryos. The net gain on taxes would far exceed the storage fees.

What if a storage facility has a power outage caused by a severe storm/hurricane/tornado? Is that murder or manslaughter? I am having a real hard time understanding this decision.

FWIW, I am avoiding citations of the bible intentionally so the discussion doesn't go off the rails.

Basically in Alabama if you get IVF and succeed immensely with many embryos, you are on the hook for storage fees for life. Or, you have to donate/give your embryos up but have to understand you have children out in the world and know nothing of their care. Do those families have to sign away any parenting rights?

The issues are a massive quagmire of things to consider that would make the most intelligent lawmaker cringe.
    The answers to question is there simply will not be IVF in Alabama anymore. Further, I think in a number of states taking hard stances on abortion you are going to have trouble finding competent pregnancy care, as those doctors will simply not want to risk their livelihood (and in the case of Texas) their freedom to provide necessary medical care.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Supporting Member
    It’s not Democrats vs. Republicans. It’s the Government vs. the People.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I'm right there with him. Not that my vote matters in Kentucky, but for the second consecutive election, it doesn't look like I'll be voting. I'm not voting for the lesser of two evils whoever that may be.
    I voted for Biden last go around, don't think I can vote for either guy this time. Will still go vote but will either skip that one or write in a name.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I voted for Biden last go around, don't think I can vote for either guy this time. Will still go vote but will either skip that one or write in a name.
    I voted Johnson in 2016 and wrote in Yang in 2020. No idea what I'll do this time, but given that I live in Kansas my vote doesn't really matter. Trump will get 60+% of the vote. Hell, if Biden is on the Dem line and there's no decent third party entrant, I might even join those 60%

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I voted Johnson in 2016 and wrote in Yang in 2020. No idea what I'll do this time, but given that I live in Kansas my vote doesn't really matter. Trump will get 60+% of the vote. Hell, if Biden is on the Dem line and there's no decent third party entrant, I might even join those 60%
    This country is in dire straits. Are we in a situation where the POTUS candidates have no universal public appeal? We are in a time where both candidates are personally unelectable, so your vote should be based on the party policies/agenda.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club