Page 1393 of 2103 FirstFirst ... 393893129313431383139113921393139413951403144314931893 ... LastLast
Results 13,921 to 13,930 of 21027

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    This was predictable. Other businesses will likely follow suit. What about private liberal arts colleges? Will they start providing resources to students who want to terminate a pregnancy? If so, what's to stop them?

What is also likely is that more places that perform abortions will open in the states where it is legal. The majority of abortions performed now do not even require a surgical procedure. It's a combination of pills. I think it's also possible that sooner or later (and perhaps sooner) doctors will begin to prescribe the pills to people who live out of state for...I don't know..."ulcerative pains" or something like that, and send them in the mail. An abortion typically costs between $700 and $800 dollars without insurance. Most people who decide they want one and are willing to pay for one will also find a way to drive to another state or find a way to get themselves there.

When the dust settles (which I suppose could take a while), I really don't know how much the number of abortions performed in this country will actually decline. It will probably decline some, but perhaps not by a substantial amount. A lot of people who are happy about the ruling probably don't realize how small the reduction in abortions will actually be. A lot of people who are hopping mad about this probably don't realize that most people who decide they want an abortion will still be able to get one.

If you're really pro-life, shouldn't the primary concern be reducing the number of abortions that are performed?? I think the best way to do that is to look at what makes people decide to get an abortion, and then offering to help them with those issues. I know that's a very radical concept. Overturning Roe v Wade is not the best way to do that. People can still get abortions regardless of what states they live in. There will start to be resources available to them that weren't available before. In fact we are already starting to see that.
    Your ideas are not radical, but very common-sense amidst an issue that is driven almost entirely by emotion. You are correct that this will have little impact on abortions, and nothing about it is intended to reduce abortion (though I’d suspect that would be the hope for many). The ruling is a good thing in that it de-federalizes the issue and gives power to the States. That is a good thing - the less Federal government the better of the Republic, and now this can go to the will of the States’ voters.

As to your first paragraph, the answer is money. Employers paying a few $K for an abortion is a lot cheaper than paying maternity leave and having to hire/train someone else to cover. If private, liberal arts colleges crunch the numbers and find it’s cheaper to fund an abortion, it will happen.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Praying at sporting events is kind of dumb. I'm pretty sure God doesn't care who wins...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/27/u...h-prayers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Why do presume to know what he prays for?
    I've been in a lot of those prayer sessions. I was also kidding.

Now let me be at least a little bit more serious. How long before a HS coach or AD decides they want to pray after a football or basketball game, and another group of players, or band members, or cheerleaders, or whoever decide they want to also gather on the field with a pride flag right next to those who are praying?? I'm placing the over/under at a year. I'm betting it will happen some where in this country in the 2022-2023 year.

Now I don't even know what that means. I just believe that it's going to happen. The way the decision was written they'd have every much of a right to do it as those who are praying. I do think people get way too emotionally wrapped up in ceremony and symbolism and now we have even more opportunities for more people to get mad at symbols and ceremonies. Other than that, though, I don't really know how I even feel about it.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Employers paying a few $K for an abortion is a lot cheaper than paying maternity leave and having to hire/train someone else to cover.
    And obviously Company paid insurance premiums would increase with a new addition to the family. Also daycare costs could come into play.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Your ideas are not radical, but very common-sense amidst an issue that is driven almost entirely by emotion. You are correct that this will have little impact on abortions, and nothing about it is intended to reduce abortion (though I’d suspect that would be the hope for many). The ruling is a good thing in that it de-federalizes the issue and gives power to the States. That is a good thing - the less Federal government the better of the Republic, and now this can go to the will of the States’ voters.

As to your first paragraph, the answer is money. Employers paying a few $K for an abortion is a lot cheaper than paying maternity leave and having to hire/train someone else to cover. If private, liberal arts colleges crunch the numbers and find it’s cheaper to fund an abortion, it will happen.
    I believe you are largely correct. At least a part of the reason they're doing it is because feel it's the right thing to do, but I think the much bigger part of the reason they're doing it is because it makes more financial sense.

You know who else is probably a big fan of Roe v Wade being overturned? Those who own/operate privately owned abortion clinics in states where it will remain legal. More patients/customers for them!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Had to decide which election denier got my vote today.
    If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Sophomore
    BREAKING NEWS:

A new star witness in the J6 hearing is claiming she personally saw Donald Trump commandeer the USS McCain, and was within seconds of launching a missile barrage on Congress.

Sophomore
    51 people died the other day because of Joe Biden's open border policy, and not a peep on this board about it.

I bet if they were gunned down the libs would be flipping out about the need for gun control. Why aren't they demanding that the border be secured????

If you think these are the only people that have died crossing the border, then you're not paying attention.

Supporting Member
    So lou.. you are whining about the other side pointing fingers when an event happens, while you yourself point fingers in this instance. Makes sense.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    So lou.. you are whining about the other side pointing fingers when an event happens, while you yourself point fingers in this instance. Makes sense.
    Wow, Ville, you’re back again! How many times have you left me? But for some reason you always come back to this abusive relationship. This is truly a classic sign of low self-esteem, is it not?

I fail to see how an open border policy contributed to this since they were all in the country illegally. It's not that the border was open. It's that it was closed and they came across anyway. Had they not been here illegally they probably wouldn't have felt compelled to pile into the back of a truck the way that they did.

I'm not saying it wasn't a tragedy and I'm not trying to assess the blame. All I'm saying is I fail to see how you're connecting those two dots of open borders and what happened.