Page 1479 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 479979137914291469147714781479148014811489152915791979 ... LastLast
Results 14,781 to 14,790 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Sounds like they lent a helping hand.
    They sure helped get those brown people off their island ASAP!

Yes, people will vote for DeSantis in large numbers. This November even.

This might be the most tone-deaf tweet I’ve ever seen from an actual news organization or a reporter. I’m not personally offended by any means, but I do think it says a lot about how whoever wrote it for NBC candidly feels about these immigrants when they (without meaning to insult them) compare them to trash when trying to make their point. Then again, he also compared Martha’s Vineyard to a trash can, so…not gonna argue with that…

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1...6glrkrBEyg-NnQ

EDIT: To their credit it appears to have been deleted. I guess we all say things that come out the wrong way.
    Last edited by xubrew; 09-16-2022 at 03:52 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

For some reason this tweet has been deleted. Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    They sure helped get those brown people off their island ASAP!

Yes, people will vote for DeSantis in large numbers. This November even.
    I'm curious. If you took a vote of all Floridians, and asked them if they wanted their tax dollars to go to moving immigrants from Texas to other parts of the country, rather than having their tax dollars be used in Florida for regular purposes...do you think the majority would say yes?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I'm curious. If you took a vote of all Floridians, and asked them if they wanted their tax dollars to go to moving immigrants from Texas to other parts of the country, rather than having their tax dollars be used in Florida for regular purposes...do you think the majority would say yes?
    Yes. In huge numbers. Florida has their illegal Immigrant box checked already. Blue State city suburbs are where the need for maids, landscapers and pool boys are most in demand.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    This might be the most tone-deaf tweet I’ve ever seen from an actual news organization or a reporter. I’m not personally offended by any means, but I do think it says a lot about how whoever wrote it for NBC candidly feels about these immigrants when they (without meaning to insult them) compare them to trash when trying to make their point. Then again, he also compared Martha’s Vineyard to a trash can, so…not gonna argue with that…

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1...6glrkrBEyg-NnQ

EDIT: To their credit it appears to have been deleted. I guess we all say things that come out the wrong way.
    deleted, boo!

There is a way to fix this immigration issue.

For those interested in seeing original NBC text.

NM. Didn’t work

Yeah. 100% since it was Biden who was flying plane loads of illegals from Texas into Florida and other parts of the country to lessen the crush in the “Concentration Camps” (AOC’s words) in border Texas.
    Just redistributing the wealth, like the Democrats always want to do.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Isn't that kind of the problem with populism though? Candidates focus on telling a bunch of people everything they want to hear, regardless of feasibility or practicality? It's like Homer Simpson running for sanitation commissioner if anybody here is a Simpsons fan, or somebody running for class President on a 'free ice cream in the cafeteria' platform.

Under Obama I felt like the Democrats were the populists just offering everyone free stuff they couldn't pay for and the Republicans were more rational. Then Trump happened and the Republicans got even crazier than the Democrats.

I actually think that all the anti-woke stuff the Republicans are doing may very possibly bite them in the ass. They have given up virtually any middle ground that they were holding. I'm sure that the antics of DeSantis and Abbott play well with the base in their states, but the fact that they are making a national spectacle of themselves isn't going to help win over any moderates.

Abortion is the perfect example: Instead of taking the W when Roe got struck down and passing reasonable anti abortion laws with provisions for the health of the mother and/or baby, a bunch of deep red states rushed to enact the strictest and must punitive laws they could, then Lindsay Graham says they are going to introduce a national abortion ban. They immediately painted themselves as the radicals.
    People want to hear it because it helps them. A government can only remain in power so long if it is unable to deliver for its people. We are in the most powerful country on Earth, what is feasible and practical is enormous and certainly more than we have. Populism is nothing more than policies for ordinary citizens. My baseline belief is that people know what's best for them and the two party system does a great job at suppressing them.

Think about the way each party has categorized things like bringing back production from China or improving healthcare. These are in no way mutually exclusive and would be fundamentally good for millions of people and the stability of America long-term. Our healthcare system is hugely inefficient from a cost and outcome basis, jobs are good for people and controlling production capability is good for everyone. Each party talks about these things like they're crazy and unachievable. There is no articulate productive conversation about how they could be achieved. Both of those simple topics generate massive amounts of profit from cheap labor and expensive healthcare.

And so the game goes on where you have to pick one of the major topics that could help you but eh probably won't ever happen because the other side will fight it tooth and nail. Oh and you have to get on board with a bunch of topics which have no impact to your life in anyway or other views you disagree with. Like Mar A Lago documents! or what Hunter Biden is up to! It's the blind men and the elephant. There are a lot of people who benefit from the current muck.

And on abortion I think Trump is a good barometer for this, he gets that his policies have to work for people and that the decision is plainly bad for a lot of people. His Christianity alignment was always a sham to get into the party, and he delivered for it, but he is bigger than the party now and I don't think you'll see him supporting going further on the topic.