Page 601 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 10150155159159960060160260361165170111011601 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,010 of 20843

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I agree some police need to do better to deescalate the situation and I am sure a lot of them do, but it won’t make the news.
    The guy walked up, got in an officer's face, touched another one...what do you think was going to happen?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    The guy walked up, got in an officer's face, touched another one...what do you think was going to happen?
    Peacefully deescalate the situation? Possibly, take him into custody or temporarily hold him? Not send an unarmed senior citizen to the ICU. If these officers, who are wearing body armor and carrying weapons, are that afraid of an unarmed senior citizen, maybe they are in the wrong line of work?
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I agree some police need to do better to deescalate the situation and I am sure a lot of them do, but it won’t make the news.
    A lot of them have, and it has made the news. A few off the top of my head was the chief up in Flint, the Chief in Atlanta, the speech by the New York police commissioner (I think that is his title) in middle of the protest, and the dancing cops in Omaha and KC. I think those actions should be given praise and held up as examples of good policing. I also think the news should cover the overreaction and unnecessary escalation by other police officers.

I think the bad protesters should be called out and prosecuted for any crimes they commit. I think bad cops should be called out and criminally prosecuted for any crimes they commit.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    Peacefully deescalate the situation? Possibly, take him into custody or temporarily hold him? Not send an unarmed senior citizen to the ICU. If these officers, who are wearing body armor and carrying weapons, are that afraid of an unarmed senior citizen, maybe they are in the wrong line of work?
    You’re asking humans not to be humans. Everyone has a breaking point with enough provoking.
    Last edited by Muskie in dayton; 06-05-2020 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Fat fingers
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    You’re asking humans not to be humans. Everyone has a breaking point with enough provoking.
    Hmm, don't disagree with you, but that's an interesting point on the protester side as well.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Hmm, don't disagree with you, but that's an interesting point on the protester side as well.
    Agree 100%. I've seen Police try to provoke before too.

Unless police stop policing and/or citizens stop being punks, police-citizen altercations will happen. We have to accept that.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    You got that right.

How is she even a thing? I guess bc what you said, a black women spouting far right wing talking points. She definitely saw a need and filled it. Just a few years ago she was a liberal who criticized republicans and trump. I mean she doesn’t have a college degree, or political experience, or any experience that makes her an expert on anything.
    So you're saying that those without a college degree, political experience, or expertise in a particular area can't have an opinion?

Police officers are not robots. They are human, make mistakes and in MANY, MANY cases do the right thing. I've never walked in their shoes or dealt with the kinds of situations and stress that they deal with every day. To say, "they should find another line of work" ......is bullshit and totally unfair. I wouldn't want that job and you couldn't pay me enough money. Not worth the arm chair quarterbacking that they get with everyone having a cell phone now. I respect and appreciate the police.We need law and order in our society. That includes the police. If you learn you have a bad cop, THEY need to remove them. 18 complaints filed against Derek Chauvin. You think maybe they had an issue and didn't act on it? The Floyd family is going to win a MASSIVE lawsuit against the City of Minneapolis and the police union

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/us/de...rnd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Okay, this is what I can't seem to get past....

I know several cops. I also know several ER doctors and nurses. I also know people who work psychiatric hospitals with those who are severely mentally ill.

Out of those three groups, the cops are the ones that are physically attacked the least. Those who are in a psychiatric hospital aren't ever likely to find themselves in a shootout, but a lot of the violence that we've seen has not protesters people who were using lethal force. The old man in this video was CLEARLY not a lethal threat.

If a doctor, nurse, or psychiatrist responded that way to a patient who did nothing more than what this older man did, they would definitely be fired, definitely be sued, and most likely arrested. So, is it asking too much to hold the cops to the same standards that ER doctors, nurses, and psychiatrists are held to when dealing with potentially volatile situations?? I don't think that it is.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Okay, this is what I can't seem to get past....

I know several cops. I also know several ER doctors and nurses. I also know people who work psychiatric hospitals with those who are severely mentally ill.

Out of those three groups, the cops are the ones that are physically attacked the least. Those who are in a psychiatric hospital aren't ever likely to find themselves in a shootout, but a lot of the violence that we've seen has not protesters people who were using lethal force. The old man in this video was CLEARLY not a lethal threat.

If a doctor, nurse, or psychiatrist responded that way to a patient who did nothing more than what this older man did, they would definitely be fired, definitely be sued, and most likely arrested. So, is it asking too much to hold the cops to the same standards that ER doctors, nurses, and psychiatrists are held to when dealing with potentially volatile situations?? I don't think that it is.
    90 police officers were killed in the line of duty last year and I think 4 or 5 over the last week. Are nurses and doctors getting killed at the same rate? Maybe they are but I have not ever heard that.