Page 593 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 9349354358359159259359459560364369310931593 ... LastLast
Results 5,921 to 5,930 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    Some of these stances by some in here have been nothing short of gross. And have been for a long time.
    Which ones? Why do you feel this way?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    So why are we still talking about race? Let's talk about money. There are more poor white people than poor black people. There are LOTS of wealthy black people. I'm 100% for affirmative action. But it has to be based on (lack of) wealth and not on race.

My overall point: the notion that only white racism matters because whites have "power" is nonsense. Some small slice of rich whites have power (along with a still smaller slice of rich POC).
    I'm not sure how much the percentages support your point. I would be surprised if white people in America don't have more wealth as a % of population than blacks.

I guess I'm just open to the possibility that there may be some systemic racial discrimination that I probably have never experienced. I did make a point about blacks largely sitting out of arguably the most prosperous period in American history - the post WWII expansion. I think that significantly impacted black people in a negative way during a time when white America was building a robust and successful middle class. Taking that a bit further, we did bring them here as slaves and for a long time after they were freed we considered them less than a whole person. As recently as 50 years ago we still had 'separate but equal' facilities in some states as a matter of policy.

I don't necessarily think that there is some kind of 'Department of Discrimination' that figures out how to specifically target black people (don't tell Trump about that idea though), but there has been quite a bit of discrimination in the not too distant past. I don't think is outlandish to consider the possibility that some still exists. Even if it doesn't (which I don't believe), I can certainly understand how it might appear that way to black people.
    Eat Donuts!

Of course racism, prejudice and discrimination still exist. I'm simply objecting to this notion that white people have some "power" that black people do not and therefore are the only ones capable of racism. Some small percentage of white people have a disproportionate amount of power. Not white people as a whole.

And yes, of course, white people have a disproportionate amount of wealth in this country. And of course there are historical reasons for that. But there are still in absolute terms more white people than black people in poverty in America. We should be looking to help that entire group.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Of course racism, prejudice and discrimination still exist. I'm simply objecting to this notion that white people have some "power" that black people do not and therefore are the only ones capable of racism. Some small percentage of white people have a disproportionate amount of power. Not white people as a whole.

And yes, of course, white people have a disproportionate amount of wealth in this country. And of course there are historical reasons for that. But there are still in absolute terms more white people than black people in poverty in America. We should be looking to help that entire group.
    It isnt about the number of white people who have the wealth. That is completely missing the point.

If you want very real examples of systemic racism that exists still in this country I can provide them. And they dont have anything to do with wealth.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    It was an “A Few Good Good Men” allusion. I know, a bit obscure...

I agree we don’t know for sure that POS cop was racist. Also we don’t know Floyd’s history. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that passing a fake $20 is the worst he’s done and hasn’t had a long criminal history or has fought with cops before. All those things lend context to what happened.

Time will tell.
    This literally has zero bearing on what the cop did. He could have been a career petty theft criminal and it would not change that he was murdered by 4 thug police officers.

Please elaborate on how his history would have any bearing? If he had been arrested 50 times before, the murder was justified?
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 06-03-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    It isnt about the number of white people who have the wealth. That is completely missing the point.
    I think it IS the point, honestly. Find a way to effectively help the poor, and you're going to be disproportionately helping black families. Just not ONLY black families.

Again, this is a conversation about whether racism is a one way street because of "power". I simply think that's an absurd notion that way too many people just take as fact.

I think it IS the point, honestly. Find a way to effectively help the poor, and you're going to be disproportionately helping black families. Just not ONLY black families.

Again, this is a conversation about whether racism is a one way street because of "power". I simply think that's an absurd notion that way too many people just take as fact.
    I dont disagree about helping the poor will help black families as well. I am specifically saying the number of white rich people has nothing to do with the fact that the system was built to negatively affect black people. In the beginning intentionally now less so intentionally imo but it still does.

I have a family member who think all white people are racist just bc they are white and that it is impossible to be racist if you are black or any other minority. I think that is crazy and over the top. I dont believe either of those things. I do think power and influence play some role though.

I enjoy reading Libertarian syndicated columnist Walter E. Williams on topics like this. Being 83, growing in poverty, and black, he always brings an interesting perspective. Haven’t seen a current article on this case, but here are a few interesting reads.

https://www.godanriver.com/opinion/c...5b10defdd.html

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/article...nion/150919853

I would say a poor white is far less likely to be profiled that an affluent black person. Some of this comes from the experience of going to a relatively diverse high school and having close friends of many races. I've seen the subtle racism in action many times.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I dont disagree about helping the poor will help black families as well. I am specifically saying the number of white rich people has nothing to do with the fact that the system was built to negatively affect black people. In the beginning intentionally now less so intentionally imo but it still does.

I have a family member who think all white people are racist just bc they are white and that it is impossible to be racist if you are black or any other minority. I think that is crazy and over the top. I dont believe either of those things. I do think power and influence play some role though.
    I'm not arguing about structural racism here (which I think is a horrible, counterproductive, unnecessarily provocative name for the concept it is meant to capture). Really just talking about the racism point, on which we apparently agree.