Page 772 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 27267272276277077177277377478282287212721772 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,720 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    4 years ago has nothing to do with anything.
    It's pretty much the same. 68% say healthcare is important.
    2023 Sweet 16

Looks like our president is a tax fraud. White House to Big House.
    2023 Sweet 16

X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Big shock. Another HUGE story that's supposed to take Trump down right before the election. You would believe anything Bobbie.

Once again, leaking these records is a crime. They won't provide the documents to "protect their sources".

https://thenationalpulse.com/breakin...by-the-report/

https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/...-conspiracies/

I don't even believe it, but it actually proves a lot of what the Dems have been saying about Trump for the past 4 years is false.
    Last edited by X Factor; 09-27-2020 at 11:58 PM.

It's pretty much the same. 68% say healthcare is important.
    yep.

Looks like our president is a tax fraud. White House to Big House..
    yep.

Bobbie, perhaps you forgot. The NSA, the CIA, the FBI, the FDA, the CDC, the WHO, James Mattis, Alex Vidman, Deborah Birx, Steve Schmidt, Colin Powell, Mary Trump, Justin Amash, Amy Acton, John McCain, John Bolton, Michael Cohen, John Kelly, Fiona Hill, etc are all involved in a DEEP STATE conspiracy, meant to take down the president. (will not mention the Postal Service, which is also involved). Christ, thought I was done with this paragraph... forgot to mention the mainstream media, Twitter, Facebook, Tiktok, and Gary Busey.

The "coronavirus" conspiracy started in Europe, though it originated in China (George Soros)... thanks Italy for the fake footage.

https://youtu.be/vdx4Jo0GCRU

The article you are referencing is also fake news (like the earth being round). But if true, as a non-productive member of society, I've given more to Goodwill and my community than Trump has paid in federal taxes the last few years. And that sucks for me, as someone with a pre-existing condition, sucking off the teat.:

Your fake news article here. (NY Times)

Reps to Bobbie.

https://youtu.be/jFf1JMJs6LQ

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Both sides are hypocrites. The same guys who are saying wait were castigating McConnell four years ago for doing just that.
    This is unbelievably obvious, yet almost no one on either side can see it. If you can't see it then you really are part of the problem.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Grifters gonna grift.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Because Republicans had control of the Senate. They were not required by the Constitution to go forward with the President's nomination.

If the Democrats had control of the Senate 4 years ago, Obama would've got his person on the Supreme Court.

Study the history of the Supreme Court nominations. What the Republicans are doing is not something new. I know the Dems are saying it's not legitimate, but it DEFINITELY is.
    Yes, it is.

It actually goes back to 2014 when Mitch McConnell became the majority leader. It wasn't just the Supreme Court seat that was blocked. It was 105 other nominations to district courts and the court of appeals that he also blocked. That had not been done before by anyone. It's not unusual for the president and the senate majority to not be of the same party. It is highly unusual for the senate majority leader to go for two years without calling virtually any judicial nominations to a vote. And, I think it has created a very dangerous precedent to where no nominations or legislation is ever called to a vote unless one of the parties has control over the presidency, the house, and the senate. That IS unusual.

I would hope that even people who are right wing blowhards would ask themselves if this new precedent is a good thing. There is a chance that in less than two months, the Dems win the white house and get control of the senate. I won't go so far to say that it's probable, but it is at least possible. And...then what? Now the other half of the country is going to be made to feel they're not represented (and to a large degree they won't be), and that's a problem. "Oh, you want to block all this legislation without even discussing how it can be changed or what compromises can be made?? Okay, well now we will reintroduce all of it and pass it as it was originally written. You want to block our Supreme Court nominees? Well then we'll just expand the court to 11, or 13, or 15. Biden picks all of the new justices. Every opening on the lower courts goes through as well and every judge selected will be left leaning because now it's a person's politics that matter rather than their knowledge of the law. If any judge appointed by Trump makes a ruling we don't like, we will just appeal it all the way up to the Supreme Court, which now has 13 justices on it so it will rule the way the way we want them to." Basically, sit down and shut up. You're not in charge anymore. And, that IS different. At least in my lifetime.

You know what? What I really don't get is why McConnell wouldn't even call things to a vote that probably wouldn't have made it through the senate anyway. Even in looking at it through the lens of dirty politics that didn't make any sense. I get blocking things that you don't want passed that you think will pass. I also get blocking things that you want to see passed but that you don't think will have the votes in the senate. But blocking things that won't pass through the senate anyway doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He could have called it to a vote, had it lose, and then just shrugged his shoulders. Then it would have been dead instead of just sitting there. Or at the very least it could have lead to a situation where there was discussion about what changes could be made to the bill so both sides could live with it. But, nope. Just not gonna vote on it. Not even gonna talk about it. If this is nothing new, then when has that happened before? It really hasn't in my lifetime. It's a new norm, and it's not a good new norm.
    Last edited by xubrew; 09-28-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Yes, it is.

It actually goes back to 2014 when Mitch McConnell became the majority leader. It wasn't just the Supreme Court seat that was blocked. It was 105 other nominations to district courts and the court of appeals that he also blocked. That had not been done before by anyone. It's not unusual for the president and the senate majority to not be of the same party. It is highly unusual for the senate majority leader to go for two years without calling virtually any judicial nominations to a vote. And, I think it has created a very dangerous precedent to where no nominations or legislation is ever called to a vote unless one of the parties has control over the presidency, the house, and the senate. That IS unusual.

I would hope that even people who are right wing blowhards would ask themselves if this new precedent is a good thing. There is a chance that in less than two months, the Dems win the white house and get control of the senate. I won't go so far to say that it's probable, but it is at least possible. And...then what? Now the other half of the country is going to be made to feel they're not represented (and to a large degree they won't be), and that's a problem. "Oh, you want to block all this legislation without even discussing how it can be changed or what compromises can be made?? Okay, well now we will reintroduce all of it and pass it as it was originally written. You want to block our Supreme Court nominees? Well then we'll just expand the court to 11, or 13, or 15. Biden picks all of the new justices. Every opening on the lower courts goes through as well and every judge selected will be left leaning as well because now it's a person's politics that matter and so much their knowledge of the law. If any judge appointed by Trump makes a ruling we don't like, we will just appeal it all the way up to the Supreme Court, which now has 13 justices on it so it will rule the way the way we want them to." Basically, sit down and shut up. You're not in charge anymore. And, that IS different. At least in my lifetime.

You know what? What I really don't get is why McConnell wouldn't even call things to a vote that probably wouldn't have made it through the senate anyway. Even in looking at it through the lens of dirty politics that didn't make any sense. I get blocking things that you don't want passed that you think will pass. I also get blocking things that you want to see passed but that you don't think will have the votes in the senate. But blocking things that won't pass through the senate anyway doesn't make a whole lot of sense. He could have called it to a vote, had it lose, and then just shrugged his shoulders. Then it would have been dead instead of just sitting there. Or at the very least it could have lead to a situation where there was discussion about what changes could be made to the bill so both sides could live with it. But, nope. Just not gonna vote on it. Not even gonna talk about it. If this is nothing new, then when has that happened before? It really hasn't in my lifetime. It's a new norm, and it's not a good new norm.
    ...And why stop there??

DC appears to be left leaning. So do some of the territories like Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Samoa. How'd they like to be states? The Dems can do it! It's in the Constitution! They'd have House, Senate, and Presidency! Come on in! With eight new almost assuredly democratic senators!! That would create a need for more district judges, so they'd appoint more! And they'd make sure they were all liberal leaning!

California is a big place! Let's see if they'd like to split in half! Or maybe even into thirds! There is a way to do that in the constitution! That's four more almost assuredly democratic senators! It's in the interest of our party, so let's do it!!

So...what I'm getting at here is that while the constitution allows for all of that, those would not be good norms. For anyone. Neither is what Mitch McConnell's Senate did in terms of new norms. I would hope both sides could see that this may open a door that ultimately no one wants open, but I'm not so sure that they can.
    Last edited by xubrew; 09-28-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Supporting Member
    I’m missing something. Did Trump do something illegal on his taxes? Or did he follow the tax code to minimize his tax liability, like everyone does? I didn’t see that in the NYT article. Or is this just another Pre-election hit job the MSM is pulling on those who have no ability to think critically?
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"