Page 429 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 3293794194274284294304314394795299291429 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,290 of 20841

Thread: Politics Thread

https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...ot-11564515926

While I do think that all Presidential candidates should be required to release certain (reasonable) financial disclosures, this seems like a terrible idea. States should not be enacting specific legislature to keep candidates off the primary ballot. This could go to a very scary place, very quickly.

I assume this will be struck down but a higher court, but the precedent set by even trying some BS like this is scary.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/califor...ot-11564515926

While I do think that all Presidential candidates should be required to release certain (reasonable) financial disclosures, this seems like a terrible idea. States should not be enacting specific legislature to keep candidates off the primary ballot. This could go to a very scary place, very quickly.

I assume this will be struck down but a higher court, but the precedent set by even trying some BS like this is scary.
    A dangerous slippery slope indeed. Easy solution: Congress should pass a law that requires every President, Senator and House member to disclose their tax returns. This way we can see how everyone takes advantage of tax loopholes they setup and passed.

As it currently stands, all members including the people running for President need release a financial disclosure form but are broad. Attached are the forms from the 2016 election. Contrast between Trump and other candidates is interesting.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/f...al-disclosures

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Who's going to the rally tonight?
    Coming from you, Caf, I assume you mean a protest rally against the Trumpster.

MAGA.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

None of the "Medicare for all" candidates stand a chance imho. They need to quit. 180 million Americans aren't giving up their private health care for some unknown BS. 55 million union members have fought for years for their exceptional coverage. 65% of the population are against it. The country's already bankrupt with the new budget. Seniors get screwed since they already paid for it with 50-60 years of contributions (stolen by congress, of course) Utter Bullshit. Stop the fantasy.
    The "Free College" is bullshit too. Maybe subsidize JUCO's and definitely trade schools. Every kid not going to college should be able to learn a trade and hopefully graduate with a position in their field. Then, they can pursue whatever college interests them to further their education.

And while I'm on the soapbox, no friggin' reason why diabetics in Detroit can drive 3 miles and get 90% off their life saving insulin. Stop the madness.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 08-01-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

Sophomore
    Most of the talking points at these debates are wildly unpopular with Americans. Whoever gets the nomination is gonna have to come way back to the center to win. Healthcare for illegal immigrants, decriminalizing illegal immigration, reparations, etc. are all wildly unpopular.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Stop the madness.
    I agree, but this just made me think of that commercial "stop the madness. stop the madness now!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    Coming from you, Caf, I assume you mean a protest rally against the Trumpster.

MAGA.
    I love how guys like you think everyone who doesn't love Trump is a crazed leftist.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Most of the talking points at these debates are wildly unpopular with Americans. Whoever gets the nomination is gonna have to come way back to the center to win. Healthcare for illegal immigrants, decriminalizing illegal immigration, reparations, etc. are all wildly unpopular.
    Amen to that. Although I thought that during the Republican primaries last cycle and we elected Trump, so who knows what can happen.

I can't believe that we are seriously talking about reparations, on a national stage, during a presidential debate though. It's not like we have some massive budget surplus that we can't spend and need to give away.
    Eat Donuts!

Sophomore
    Trumps policies were at least popular though even if he isn’t. Restricting both legal and illegal immigration is the most popular issue for Americans. The. Most. Of course you’d never know this the way the media and political class behave

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Trumps policies were at least popular though even if he isn’t. Restricting both legal and illegal immigration is the most popular issue for Americans. The. Most. Of course you’d never know this the way the media and political class behave
    The 2018 election results suggest that access to healthcare (for all Americans) is the most popular issue among voters as a whole. Immigration may well be THE issue for Trump supporters, but it is a stretch to say that it is also the issue for everyone else. Of course you'd never know this the way Fox and the right wing media behave.
    Last edited by X-man; 08-02-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)