Page 597 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 9749754758759559659759859960764769710971597 ... LastLast
Results 5,961 to 5,970 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

I can't imagine anyone supporting using troops to clear out a peaceful assembly of citizens, using rubber bullets, some sort of gas, horses, and flash bangs...all so the president can stroll across the street for a photo op.

I mean really. Does anyone here really support that action?

(I'm trying to imagine what would have happened in our country if Obama had tried that.)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    You can vote for Trump as the lesser to two evils and not support all of his actions. I think it's a pretty slippery slope when you start equating voting for a candidate with unequivocal support. It seems to be a recent thing in our political system.

Why is it so important that the President get involved in a divisive war of words with the media? It seems like a bizarre Latin Machismo thing almost. Do we want our President to be so thin skinned that he has to get into a flame war with anyone who criticizes him?

I actually think that Bush handled a lot of unfair criticism very well. He never gave in to fostering division and always took the high road and spoke to the American people as one. He never broke the country into 'his people' and 'other people'. History has (rightfully) been kind to him for that.

To be bi-partisan I also thought Obama handled some unfair allegations pretty well. An example would be the birther controversy which was ridiculous from day 1.

I just assumed not reacting to every minor slight was part of being the President.
    1) If you think the media has been fair or remotely truthful about what Trump has or hasn't done, you're an insane person. He's defending himself. It's what republicans have been begging for. Is it always polished? Nope. Is he always right? Nope.
    2) Bush was called a racist, a sexist, an idiot, a war criminal, and god knows what else. He continually just took it because he was a nice guy. Only now, over a decade later, do democrats and the media say nice things about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    1) If you think the media has been fair or remotely truthful about what Trump has or hasn't done, you're an insane person. He's defending himself. It's what republicans have been begging for. Is it always polished? Nope. Is he always right? Nope.
    2) Bush was called a racist, a sexist, an idiot, a war criminal, and god knows what else. He continually just took it because he was a nice guy. Only now, over a decade later, do democrats and the media say nice things about him.
    Why are you so worried about what people say about Trump though, and whether it's fair? It's almost like you view him as some kind of surrogate for yourself, or something. There is always a group of people who talk shit about the President. It seems like the best thing to do is ignore it, and the worst thing to do is spend a bunch of time and energy getting involved in some kind of back and forth with a large portion of the citizens of the Country you are supposed to be leading. How is that now a positive thing?

I agree with you on Bush. I just don't really think that he should have been firing back at every asshole that criticized him. It's part of the job. He was President of the United States of America. Let the lunatic fringe of the left say whatever the hell they want and just focus on running the Country. I also don't think Bush really gave a shit about the criticism because he was a mature adult. Also the Leader of the Free World. You don't have to respond to every insult. Who cares? Turn the other cheek.
    Eat Donuts!

I don't know where to put this, and perhaps it's already been noted, but in an email the University said it was revoking the offer of admission for an incoming student because of racially charged posts made on social media.

Seems like that raises a number of questions about free speech, but maybe it analogous to yelling fire in a crowded theater.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I don't know where to put this, and perhaps it's already been noted, but in an email the University said it was revoking the offer of admission for an incoming student because of racially charged posts made on social media.

Seems like that raises a number of questions about free speech, but maybe it analogous to yelling fire in a crowded theater.
    Not really. He's not being charged with a crime. You can't prosecute someone for saying something really stupid, but you can sure as hell fire them, or cut them, or expel them. This is along the lines of that assistant football coach (from I forget where) who when asked who would he most like to have dinner with, answered Hitler because of how great of a leader he was. Yes, you can get rid of someone for that.
    Last edited by xubrew; 06-04-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

He's not arrested. So his First Amendment rights are still intact. Xavier doesn't have to offer admissions to knuckleheads (though the fact that a great number of us on this board are alumni speaks to the fact that Xavier has offered admission to MANY knuckleheads).

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I can't imagine anyone supporting using troops to clear out a peaceful assembly of citizens, using rubber bullets, some sort of gas, horses, and flash bangs...all so the president can stroll across the street for a photo op.

I mean really. Does anyone here really support that action?

(I'm trying to imagine what would have happened in our country if Obama had tried that.)
    Paul -

The whole photo op outside St John's Episcopal Church was ridiculous. Hard to defend DJT or whoever the moron aide (Jared Kushner?) was that suggested he do it. He looked foolish and awkward with the Bible in his hand...almost as if he'd never seen or held one.

With that said, your assumption that if Barack Hussein Obama did it he would be equally or worse vilified is absurd. BHO walked on water according to the MSM and he could do no wrong. BHO was wrong on sooooooo many things, but he got the ole Texas El Paso during his 8 years in office.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    He's not arrested. So his First Amendment rights are still intact. Xavier doesn't have to offer admissions to knuckleheads (though the fact that a great number of us on this board are alumni speaks to the fact that Xavier has offered admission to MANY knuckleheads).
    Would be interesting to see how they handle someone of an opposite race that says the same things or if he was a star incoming basketball player. Kid seems like he needs some guidance and said some really stupid stuff and Xavier probably did what they had to, but would it be handled the same way if the kid wasn’t white? There is a lot of racist crap being thrown around by people of color right now toward white people. Saw one from a highly recruited black football player that said how he hated white people and that white people are trash. No one is pulling his offers.

The democrats want to elect Joe Biden. Let that sink in. He and Obama had 8 years to initiate police reform and improve race relations. What happened?

For any XU fans in and around LA, this seems like a very ominous turn of events:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbre.../#74a979de1ba3
    Veritas vos Liberabit