Page 228 of 2102 FirstFirst ... 1281782182262272282292302382783287281228 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 21011

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Not really the countries that imposed austerity were not that much worse off than the US that spent Trillions for 8 years of stagnation.

Oh, and there's a wide gap between the "stimulus" and austerity. It's called sanity which was delivered post 2010.
    Are you referring to the weak stimulus package that still managed to end the recession or the new deal that ended the depression?

Also stagnation is significantly better than recession, so not sure what your point is there.

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    No, I should have used the word "economists".
    And I have the same response.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    the new deal that ended the depression?
    You misspelled World War II

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Are you referring to the weak stimulus package that still managed to end the recession or the new deal that ended the depression?
    The New Deal didn't end the depression.
    Last edited by XU 87; 07-18-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    My thought exactly. All of the industry that started getting jobs and orders from the federal government is what ended the depression.

xu95

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    WTF? Your answer makes no sense. How can you talk about Obama's "results" when the Republicans prevented him from implementing the kinds of fiscal policy needed to expedite the recovery? And please explain why large deficits are now fine to Republicans but were incredibly dangerous to the economy under Obama.
    Um, because the results of the first two years of his fiscal and regulatory policy made things worse. And your analysts/dreamers guaranteed the stimulus would keep unemployment under 8%. They were waaaay wrong so I'll take the actual results into consideration not the musings of academic know nothings.

Oh, still waiting on that stock market correction...
    And It's been more than a year and Trump is still POTUS..
    You're not even a broken clock these days

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    And I have the same response.
    I see. So economists have nothing to offer on the question of economic policy because they don't agree with your bias?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

It's not a particularly controversial statement. With the exception of Italy, Europe is incredibly secular.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d7cfe78a23df
    Yeah so a place like Germany even funnels tax money to churches. Poles are one thing, being religious is another. I have not seen anything like religion in Europe in the US except maybe the Bible Belt. It is not the case here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely was the point that ended it completely, but if FDR hadn't cut back on the stimulus the depression wouldn't have returned.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Um, because the results of the first two years of his fiscal and regulatory policy made things worse. And your analysts/dreamers guaranteed the stimulus would keep unemployment under 8%. They were waaaay wrong so I'll take the actual results into consideration not the musings of academic know nothings.

Oh, still waiting on that stock market correction...
    And It's been more than a year and Trump is still POTUS..
    You're not even a broken clock these days
    Um, how did they make things worse? I thought you had studied some economics at Xavier. If you had learned anything, you would know that (1) recessions, particularly those triggered by financial market meltdowns (makes Say's Law inoperable) take several years to work through, and (2) monetary policy won't work very well under these circumstances (particularly when they have hit the ZB constraint) so fiscal policy (the kind that Republicans prevented Obama from implementing because they were SO WORRIED about deficits back then...now, not so much) must be used under those circumstances. But hey, your friend XU87 claims economists know nothing. So people trained in these areas should be ignored in favor of lawyers and political hacks who base all decisions on policy solely on their philosophical biases.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)