Page 606 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 10650655659660460560660760861665670611061606 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,060 of 20841

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Five or ten minutes of prior video to watch the shit the police were put through by "civilians". That would be enough. But then I'd also like to watch the prior hour, two, three, maybe more. So we could see what they go through for a 60,000/year salary.

You and me, we don't do shit. We have candy ass jobs where we check in, spend 8 hours, then check out. We go home to our wives and children without fear. When your wife kisses you goodbye in the morning, she knows you'll be home. When a cop's wife or husband kisses them goodbye in the morning, the wonder every day if they'll make it back. Will some POS shoot them? Ambush them? Run over them like Officer Grant in Springdale? Will they end up in an entanglement because of political bullshit like the cop on Ferguson. Piece of shit on drugs bum rushes you and you have to shoot him to save your own life. Yet no one cares about your life. Because the corroborators decide to make up a story that you shot that guy with his hands up. Your go through months of hell to preserve your name and your freedom. For a $60,000/year salary.

What would I want to see to justify what they did to that man? Their word. Because I don't pretend I can judge their job. It's something I'd never want for me, or anyone I care for. A cop's job is to protect an to serve, the vast majority do that with honor. One fucking asshole doesn't change that for me, and it shouldn't change that for you.
    Yeah we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. I have lots I could respond with that I see completely differently than you with everything you wrote above but it doesnt make sense to waste either of our times.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    My brother is a police officer. Worked the streets for 13 years. He's a sergeant and working in internal affairs now. He's been on the hostage negotiation team. He has a 4 year degree in criminology and a master's degree.

You wouldn't believe the things he's seen and dealt with, the stress, etc. Walking into a home and finding someone's son who blew their own head off with a shotgun, or hung themselves in a closet. Getting called to a house where there's babies crawling on the floor covered in dog shit with drugs and needles everywhere, sometimes not even anyone home with them. He's been shot at. He's been in struggles with dudes so high nothing will stop them.

Police officers see the absolute worst of the human race on a daily basis, especially if you work in big city. They're put in situations where they might not make it home to their families.

There's bad cops for sure.

But all these libs who now want to defund police departments...yeah, let's see how that works out.
    Yes, having to work in that sounds pretty rough. I also agree that defunding the police is not the answer.

But, having to LIVE in an environment like that, every day for all your life, isn't easy either. It makes sense that cops get stressed out in general from having to work in that and can be more prone to snapping. It also makes sense that people who live in that get stressed out in general as well and are more prone to snapping. If that was your house, or your father who shot himself, or your siblings that were crawling around in shit, or you lived on a street where several of the houses were like that, you'd experience a fair amount of stress and frustration.

Five or ten minutes of prior video to watch the shit the police were put through by "civilians". That would be enough. But then I'd also like to watch the prior hour, two, three, maybe more. So we could see what they go through for a 60,000/year salary.

You and me, we don't do shit. We have candy ass jobs where we check in, spend 8 hours, then check out. We go home to our wives and children without fear. When your wife kisses you goodbye in the morning, she knows you'll be home. When a cop's wife or husband kisses them goodbye in the morning, the wonder every day if they'll make it back. Will some POS shoot them? Ambush them? Run over them like Officer Grant in Springdale? Will they end up in an entanglement because of political bullshit like the cop on Ferguson. Piece of shit on drugs bum rushes you and you have to shoot him to save your own life. Yet no one cares about your life. Because the corroborators decide to make up a story that you shot that guy with his hands up. Your go through months of hell to preserve your name and your freedom. For a $60,000/year salary.

What would I want to see to justify what they did to that man? Their word. Because I don't pretend I can judge their job. It's something I'd never want for me, or anyone I care for. A cop's job is to protect an to serve, the vast majority do that with honor. One fucking asshole doesn't change that for me, and it shouldn't change that for you.
    Yunno, that sounds an awful lot like what growing up and living in the inner city is like.

My point is that people are more alike than what they realize. We might come from different backgrounds and live in different environments, but we have all of the same emotions even if they are triggered by different experiences. If we could somehow try and empathize with people who are different than us, and who come from different backgrounds, and have had different experiences, we may actually find that we really aren't that different. It's just a shame that we don't do that more. Yes, the cops have a rough job. But if a big part of what makes it rough is having to work in those types of environments, then try and imagine how rough it is for the people who LIVE in those environments.

And, I'll go ahead and state the obvious. A LOT of college football and basketball players grew up (fortunately, because as has been pointed out not everyone makes it to adulthood) living in those rough environments that can make working as a policeman so rough.
    Last edited by xubrew; 06-06-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

In addition to calls to defund the police, which will never happen, but they might get less money, there’s a push to strip away some of the legal protections the police have. Be careful what you wish for. If that ever happens, which is possible, just watch crime go through the roof as the officers decide it’s not worth going to jail or facing personal civil damages to do anything that might land them in court. Try to tackle some guys who just committed a robbery or assault? Nope. Let him go. High speed chase after a gun fight? Nope. Don’t want to be sued for causing the guy to wreck his car or hit someone else. Let him go. Things will get ugly very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. I have lots I could respond with that I see completely differently than you with everything you wrote above but it doesnt make sense to waste either of our times.
    Thanks. I’ll happily disagree with anyone who wants to disrespect police.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Yes, having to work in that sounds pretty rough. I also agree that defunding the police is not the answer.

But, having to LIVE in an environment like that, every day for all your life, isn't easy either. It makes sense that cops get stressed out in general from having to work in that and can be more prone to snapping. It also makes sense that people who live in that get stressed out in general as well and are more prone to snapping. If that was your house, or your father who shot himself, or your siblings that were crawling around in shit, or you lived on a street where several of the houses were like that, you'd experience a fair amount of stress and frustration.

Yunno, that sounds an awful lot like what growing up and living in the inner city is like.

My point is that people are more alike than what they realize. We might come from different backgrounds and live in different environments, but we have all of the same emotions even if they are triggered by different experiences. If we could somehow try and empathize with people who are different than us, and who come from different backgrounds, and have had different experiences, we may actually find that we really aren't that different. It's just a shame that we don't do that more. Yes, the cops have a rough job. But if a big part of what makes it rough is having to work in those types of environments, then try and imagine how rough it is for the people who LIVE in those environments.

And, I'll go ahead and state the obvious. A LOT of college football and basketball players grew up (fortunately, because as has been pointed out not everyone makes it to adulthood) living in those rough environments that can make working as a policeman so rough.
    Sadly you are right, and the more people rebuke the police, the more those problems will compound. That’s the real tragedy in all this - inner city life will be getting even harder. The cops are there to help keep the community safe. Push them away and guess what happens?
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Shame you see it that way but not surprising give your history of posts.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sadly you are right, and the more people rebuke the police, the more those problems will compound. That’s the real tragedy in all this - inner city life will be getting even harder. The cops are there to help keep the community safe. Push them away and guess what happens?
    The cops jobs get tougher and they will decide not to do them is that what you are suggesting?

It seems to me that a lot of the same people who would tell those complaining about their minimum wage jobs to get different jobs or more jobs or go to school are the same ones who say cops have such a tough job and they only make $60,000 a year of course they are going to snap.

If it’s too hard, or you have a chip on your shoulder about not getting enough pay for the job, and you think that entitles you to cross over the line and abuse your power than sounds like it’s not the right job for you.

It’s an Extremely important job and at times a difficult and stressful job. The serve and protect part is the most important part though. And despite videos of their whole lives and shitty experiences leading up to that video posted previously nothing justifies that. That’s not serving or protecting. It’s being an asshole and it’s obviously at the very least against their own policies or code of contact. Their bosses agree obviously.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 06-06-2020 at 09:22 AM.

The constitution and citizen’s rights will always be more important to me than police officer’s feelings.

I would imagine that there will be more push back toward cops in all areas which will create some problems because people will push harder against law enforcement. Cops will really have tough jobs. In difficult situations they either risk their lives or just not respond to calls for help. I think there needs to be education on all sides. Where will the leadership come to educate people to not commit crimes? Not drop of of school, support the kids you father? This isn’t a black/white thing, this is a society thing. Cops of all races get killed sometimes by criminals and people of all races sometimes get killed by cops. And sometimes people get killed by other people of all races. Our country has a lot more problems that face everyone than police brutality. We need leaders who are about the right things that help everyone.

SIDEBAR.....

I'm once again falling into the trap of spending too much time on social media. It's like french fries. I shouldn't be eating them. Eat more than a few per day and you're hurting yourself. But, I can't stop eating them. Truth be told we were in pretty bad shape even before all this crap started happening, which is one of the reasons why all this crap is happening. I don't know what the answers are, but I'm pretty sure that spending more than an hour on social media or on cable news isn't it. That being said, I'm having a hard time coming up with something else to do, and I'm finding it to be more difficult than it should be to just turn it off.

Anyway, carry on!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White