Page 588 of 2104 FirstFirst ... 8848853857858658758858959059863868810881588 ... LastLast
Results 5,871 to 5,880 of 21038

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    That's great, but there is zero context around any of those videos...its social media
    What context is needed to justify shooting a tear gas canister from 5 yards away into the body of an unarmed man currently incapacitated from pepper spray? What more context do you need?
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Trump probably will win. If he doesn't, then he still won't go away. He may win again in 2024. I'm not a fan of the guy, but when it comes to winning elections he seems to have a plan and that plan seems to work. For better or worse. Probably for worse.

I agree with this. I think the problem is that while Trump knows how to win elections, the Democrats do not know how. It is to the point to where I will actually be surprised if the Dems don't do something really insanely stupid between now and the election that ends up costing them. Trump knows how to fire up his base. The Dems can't seem to keep from burning themselves whenever they try to do the same.
    The Democrats have a somewhat fractured base that they don't really know how to unite without alienating the mainstream portion of the party. They have a bunch of people they need to energize that want a bunch of shit that is never going to happen (free college, National Healthcare, etc.), and they want it NOW. Then they have a bunch of people in the middle that they need to figure out how to vote for him.

The Republicans struggled with this for a while too before they ended up (somewhat inadvertently) turning the keys to the party over to Trump and his particular brand of populism. They were fractured between 'mainstream' Republicans and the extreme fiscal conservatism of the Tea Party. It turns out fiscal conservatism isn't all that popular with anyone, even most Republicans. I'm still confused by the fact that quasi totalitarian rhetoric liberally sprinkled with insults ended up being the secret sauce to bring out the vote, but it worked.

I'm not convinced that Trump is this 'election whisperer' we think he may be. He is very good at talking to his base, but not really at talking to anyone else. The Democrats ran the worst campaign ever last election and still won the popular vote by almost 3 million votes. They came up with a pretty uninspiring candidate this cycle, but they did avoid the 'Bernie Sanders' Trap. Although maybe that would have worked for them similar to how Trump worked for the Republicans?
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    CNN sensationalizes everything. I do think that there were more people who were, if not condoning, more understanding of some of the property destruction etc. initially. Once things really started escalating it cast an uncomfortable light on what was/is really going on.

So out of all the possible reasons minorities are struggling in America you single out Democratic mayors? That is just bizarre logic. You can do that with literally anything. Maybe the problem is that they all have two ears. They should try cutting one off. Worth a shot, right?

Taking that logic a step further: Why hasn't Trump helped them yet? He was going to be the best President ever for the blacks, remember?

I think that the majority of black people would tell you that it doesn't matter who is in the White House, their plight remains relatively consistent. Obama was supposed to be their savior, but I'm not sure all that much really changed when he was President. It's an extraordinarily complex problem with no clear solution.
    Well I mean why vote then? If everything sucks so bad why continue to vote the same exact way forever? How is that logic to change bizarre? As for Trump maybe he has helped them. Median black income appears to be way up. Black unemployment under Trump has been at an all time low.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Both parties are responsible for bad policing and not prosecuting police who break the law for sure. Both parties need to accept responsibility for failures there and work together for reform.
    Both parties? Nice try when one party has held sway for 45-53 years. It don't work that way, but way to ride the fence.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrett View Post
    Your continued defense of Trump tells me all I need to know about you.
    How again am I defending trump? My reply was to the twitter videos..nothing about trump. I think you have trump derangement syndrome.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Both parties? Nice try when one party has held sway for 45-53 years. It don't work that way, but way to ride the fence.
    I am not talking about any one place or city so not sure what your 45-53 years is referencing.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    What context is needed to justify shooting a tear gas canister from 5 yards away into the body of an unarmed man currently incapacitated from pepper spray? What more context do you need?
    How do you know that guy wasnt threatening police? Walking forward while being told to stand down.... is that cop supposed to just assume he doesnt have a gun? Have you ever thought what these cops have had to deal with for the last 5 or so nights? Give me a damn break...they are putting their lives on the line every single night because of fucking idiots that cant follow directions.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I am not talking about any one place or city so not sure what your 45-53 years is referencing.
    Yeah just every city that has been run by one party for the last 45-53 years.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Want is the saying about doing the same thing over and expecting different results? Maybe the minorities should try something else like voting for a different party to see if they can get some help. Worth a shot.
    Detroit kept voting for the same "black mafia" (I don't know how else to put it, but sorry if I offended anyone) led by Coleman Young, FOR 20 YEARS, followed by his minion Dennis Archer, followed by his minion Kwame Kilpatrick. The city was decimated. Kilpatrick is STILL in jail. I kinda think Dave Bing tried to do it right, but stuff was too deep for an inexperienced non-politician. Finally after 40 years, they elected Mike Duggan, who is still a Democrat, but doing better?

At what point in the "over and over with the same result" does it finally begin to be too much? I guess in Detroit it was after 35 years with Bing. That is way too long with zero accountability.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Well I mean why vote then? If everything sucks so bad why continue to vote the same exact way forever? How is that logic to change bizarre? As for Trump maybe he has helped them. Median black income appears to be way up. Black unemployment under Trump has been at an all time low.
    I think they would tell you that's how they feel, and it's part of why they are frustrated and rioting. It's also one of the many reasons voter turnout in poor urban areas tends to be low. They feel hopeless. To arbitrarily pick one thing that fits with your worldview/opinion and suggest from high atop Mt Whitey that they change only that thing is bizarre. You also ignore the very real possibility that things could be worse for them with a Republican mayor. I'd like to see your sources on the Median Income and Unemployment statistics as well as how the compare (index) to total income and unemployment over time. Is the inequality gap narrowing or widening?

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    How again am I defending trump? My reply was to the twitter videos..nothing about trump. I think you have trump derangement syndrome.
    When people use the phrase 'Trump Derangement Syndrome' that's usually a tell that they (1) support Trump and (2) consume a ton of right wing media.
    Eat Donuts!