Page 963 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 4638639139539619629639649659731013106314631963 ... LastLast
Results 9,621 to 9,630 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Trump has been impeachd again. Likely to be convicted this time, but what exactly is the point of impeaching and removing someone who is already out of office (which Trump will be by the time the Senate takes this up)?
    I don't think he deserves a pension or secret service protection for life. I'd also like to shut the door on him running for office again.

Even if impeached and removed he'll surely still get Secret Service protection, right? I mean, I guess on the pension. He surely doesn't care about that, so why should anyone else.

Even if impeached and removed he'll surely still get Secret Service protection, right? I mean, I guess on the pension. He surely doesn't care about that, so why should anyone else.
    I can still hold out hope he winds up in prison. At the very least for the NY case that seems to be pending.

The bully pulpit is a powerful weapon. Before and dramatically after the election he pushed the narrative of a "stolen election."
    He has millions of people believing exactly that, despite losing by the same margin that he won. Despite millions of more votes going to the winner.
    They believe it heart and soul, and he urged it on to devastating consequences.
    That's going to take a long time to fix.
    I think if he had just quietly accepted defeat, and been gracious in the transition, acknowledging the new president, it would have healed an open wound that will now fester.
    Crazy times we live in.

Edit: I just watched the president's taped message. If he had given that speech the day after the election, I don't think we would have had the unrest in DC. Was a good speech although it sort of ignored that he himself had inflamed passions. Hard to overlook that as he now decides to ask for calm. But at least he did ask for it in advance of next week's activities. I hope it helps.
    Last edited by paulxu; 01-13-2021 at 05:31 PM.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Are you sure? Did you get a look at his tax returns??? I know I didn’t.

I would like to remove any chance that he ever runs for public office again. I don’t really care much beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Are you sure? Did you get a look at his tax returns??? I know I didn’t.

I would like to remove any chance that he ever runs for public office again. I don’t really care much beyond that.
    I hope he announces his 2024 run next Weds...

Sophomore
    As one of the greatest president's term comes to an end, I thought now would be a great time to share his long list of accomplishments. He will be missed - even by you haters. Though you may be triggered by his tweets and personality, how can you complain about these accomplishments:

Almost 4 million jobs created since election.
    More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.
    We have created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since my election.
    Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than THREE DECADES.
    Economic growth last quarter hit 4.2 percent.
    New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low.
    Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded.
    African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years.
    Youth unemployment has recently hit the lowest rate in nearly half a century.
    Lowest unemployment rate ever recorded for Americans without a high school diploma.
    Under my Administration, veterans’ unemployment recently reached its lowest rate in nearly 20 years.
    Almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election.
    The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans. We are committed to VOCATIONAL education.
    95 percent of U.S. manufacturers are optimistic about the future—the highest ever.
    Retail sales surged last month, up another 6 percent over last year.
    Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back in to the U.S. in the first quarter alone.
    As a result of our tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years.
    Helped win U.S. bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
    Helped win U.S.-Mexico-Canada’s united bid for 2026 World Cup.
    Opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines.
    Record number of regulations eliminated.
    Enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions.
    Obamacare individual mandate penalty GONE.
    My Administration is providing more affordable healthcare options for Americans through association health plans and short-term duration plans.
    Last month, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history. And thanks to our efforts, many drug companies are freezing or reversing planned price increases.
    We reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs—saving seniors hundreds of millions of dollars this year alone.
    Signed Right-To-Try legislation.
    Secured $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic.
    We have reduced high-dose opioid prescriptions by 16 percent during my first year in office.
    Signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA telehealth services, walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.
    Increased our coal exports by 60 percent; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high.
    United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957.
    Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord.
    Cancelled the illegal, anti-coal, so-called Clean Power Plan.
    Secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year.
    NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016.
    Process has begun to make the Space Force the 6th branch of the Armed Forces.
    Confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration.
    Confirmed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and nominated Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
    Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.
    Moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem.
    Protecting Americans from terrorists with the Travel Ban, upheld by Supreme Court.
    Issued Executive Order to keep open Guantanamo Bay.
    Concluded a historic U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal to replace NAFTA. And negotiations with Canada are underway as we speak.
    Reached a breakthrough agreement with the E.U. to increase U.S. exports.
    Imposed tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum to protect our national security.
    Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer, intellectual property theft, and their chronically abusive trade practices.
    Net exports are on track to increase by $59 billion this year.
    Improved vetting and screening for refugees, and switched focus to overseas resettlement.
    We have begun BUILDING THE WALL. Republicans want STRONG BORDERS and NO CRIME. Democrats want OPEN BORDERS which equals MASSIVE CRIME.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    I hope he announces his 2024 run next Weds...
    I prefer any future runs he has are related to Montezuma’s revenge. :-)

EDIT: I don’t disagree with everything he did. I think he did a lot of things well. I object to him as a person. He is an embarrassment to our country and he should be held accountable for inciting a riot attacking the government of the United States because he is an egomaniac and behaved like a child and sore loser. Again, embarrassing and we deserve better. Sorry, his bad side is a deal breaker. Period.

I did this as an edit rather than quote someone many of you have gone to some effort to avoid. How many guesses do you need? You’re welcome!
    Last edited by xu82; 01-13-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I prefer any future runs he has are related to Montezuma’s revenge. :-)

EDIT: I don’t disagree with everything he did. I think he did a lot of things well. I object to him as a person. He is an embarrassment to our country and he should be held accountable for inciting a riot attacking the government of the United States because he is an egomaniac and behaved like a child and sore loser. Again, embarrassing and we deserve better. Sorry, his bad side is a deal breaker. Period.

I did this as an edit rather than quote someone many of you have gone to some effort to avoid. How many guesses do you need? You’re welcome!
    By that standard should VP Harris resign and never hold office again?

Since that was copied directly from the White House web site, shouldn't there have been a link for attribution?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.