Page 436 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 3363864264344354364374384464865369361436 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,360 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    This is a little off the subject, but prep classes for the bar exam seem to be beneficial.
    I think most college graduates could pass the bar by taking BarBri. I know it is the only reason I got through 2 of them (second time I skipped the class and just bought the books off of someone)
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    I think most college graduates could pass the bar by taking BarBri. I know it is the only reason I got through 2 of them (second time I skipped the class and just bought the books off of someone)
    I did the same and agree. Just about any college grad could pass the bar without ever even attending law school if they take BarBri. I tell law students I meet now to buy older editions of BarBri outlines as 1Ls and study them instead of listening to pontificating law professors, know nothing about the actual practice of law and intentionally make law school classes a byzantine maze to keep their tenure.
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

You guys are underestimating the number of really, really stupid college graduates out there. And I find that really surprising coming from anyone who went to law school. I mean, presumably those people were at the upper end of college graduates, and sprinkled among the brilliant were a not insignificant number of complete morons.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    It looks bad for a number of reasons. On the surface it just looks like they’re abolishing admissions standards and any schmuck can get in now. From the money perspective it looks like a way to skirt admissions standards and inflate enrollment
    I guess it could be a money grab if a bunch of kids think this means this is an easy school to get into and they just get a ton of application fees.

I don't think this will impact their standards though. From my experience, I was a lazy-ass high school student with mediocre grades but I did well on the SAT. I'll just say my college performance trended more towards my high school performance rather than my SAT performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    I guess it could be a money grab if a bunch of kids think this means this is an easy school to get into and they just get a ton of application fees.

I don't think this will impact their standards though. From my experience, I was a lazy-ass high school student with mediocre grades but I did well on the SAT. I'll just say my college performance trended more towards my high school performance rather than my SAT performance.
    There is no longer an application fee to X.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

I think it's awesome that we're relitigating this Kavanaugh thing again about a year later. The NY Times doesn't seem to mind lighting its reputation on fire over the whole thing, either.

Also, two more reasons Andrew Yang is my favorite Democratic candidate: (1) He was basically the only candidate not to publicly call for Kavanaugh's impeachment when the (incomplete) NY Times article came out; (2) He publicly stated that he did not think Shane Gillis should be fired by SNL (before SNL actually fired him) over his Asian slurs. (Granted, Gillis seems like kind of an unfunny hack from what I can tell, but SNL is so awful now who would have noticed anyway?).

Trump's "locked and loaded" sounds a lot like Bush's '03 fiasco. Fuck the Saudis. We don't need to protect their asses after selling them billions in tanks and planes. Not worth one American life. 19 of their citizens were responsible for 9/11. We don't need their oil. Trump loves it when they fill up his hotels with their ridiculous entourages at ridiculous rates and loan him money. Stop the Corruption.
    Expect more of these attacks when you can strap a stick of c-4 to a $200 drone and take out millions in oil rigs.
    2023 Sweet 16

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Trump's "locked and loaded" sounds a lot like Bush's '03 fiasco. Fuck the Saudis. We don't need to protect their asses after selling them billions in tanks and planes. Not worth one American life. 19 of their citizens were responsible for 9/11. We don't need their oil. Trump loves it when they fill up his hotels with their ridiculous entourages at ridiculous rates and loan him money. Stop the Corruption.
    Expect more of these attacks when you can strap a stick of c-4 to a $200 drone and take out millions in oil rigs.
    agreed. i get the feeling trump will err on the side of deescalation. I didn't like those tweets, but it seems like he's atleast not rushing to take action.

either way i'm getting very tired of these obvious, transparent attempts to draw us into military action. These people can fuck all the way off. I dream of a day when the focus of foreign policy isn't the middle east 24/7/365. there's no reason it should be such a constant focus for our country.
    Last edited by scoscox; 09-17-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    I dream of a day when the focus of foreign policy isn't the middle east 24/7/365. there's no reason it should be such a constant focus for our country.
    This is particularly true now that we've got our own oil. And as oil becomes less important over the next (hopefully 10 but probably more like 30) years.

Of course, the foreign policy discussions elsewhere will end up being just as shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I think it's awesome that we're relitigating this Kavanaugh thing again about a year later. The NY Times doesn't seem to mind lighting its reputation on fire over the whole thing, either.

Also, two more reasons Andrew Yang is my favorite Democratic candidate: (1) He was basically the only candidate not to publicly call for Kavanaugh's impeachment when the (incomplete) NY Times article came out; (2) He publicly stated that he did not think Shane Gillis should be fired by SNL (before SNL actually fired him) over his Asian slurs. (Granted, Gillis seems like kind of an unfunny hack from what I can tell, but SNL is so awful now who would have noticed anyway?).
    Could you imagine if Yang was the Democratic candidate? There is no way Trump would be able to resist pulling his eyes back into slits and making some kind of 'Ching, Chang, Chong' type of Asian reference. 100% Chance of that happening.
    Eat Donuts!