Page 595 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 9549554558559359459559659760564569510951595 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,950 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Mattis also quit because he wanted to get more involved in Syria with more American troops in another hopeless situation in the Middle East and Trump said no. Mattis quit.
    There it is. That train is never late!
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Jim Mattis Issues Statement

I remember when Trump first got elected and his bootlickers were touting the hiring of Jim Mattis as an example of Trump surrounding himself with the best people. It didn't matter that Trump was inexperienced, thin-skinned, and impulsive because he had staffed key cabinet roles with people like Mattis (and John Kelly for that matter). Mattis didn't last too long and it seems doesn't have a very high opinion of the President.

You would think this might cause some people to do some hard thinking, but I seriously doubt it.
    Jim Mattis wants to be liked by the left.

The media wants to divide America.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post

This is true regarding the media. Anyone who doesn’t understand and see this is either blind, doesn’t want to believe it or wants to keep the country divided.

These responses have definitely delivered so far. Bonus points for the first one who links to an article from the Blaze or Breitbart disparaging Mattis' military career. I'll be surprised if we make it through tomorrow without that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post

This makes no sense, and is insulting to a decorated Military Veteran who has spent nearly 50 years serving his Country. Are you implying that Mattis doesn't believe what he wrote? Are you guys going to turn on him like you all turned on John McCain when he criticized your god?

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    This is true regarding the media. Anyone who doesn’t understand and see this is either blind, doesn’t want to believe it or wants to keep the country divided.
    Do you believe that the media is trying to divide America but Trump isn't? If that is the case, I really have to question your critical thinking ability. At least Jim Mattis seems to agree with me.
    Eat Donuts!

There it is. That train is never late!
    So when Trump stands up to Mattis with a decision that I think most would agree was the correct decision, Trump is still the bad guy?

Mattis now tries to make it seem like he quit because he was too moral for the Trump administration. My point is that isn't correct. Mattis got pissed and quit because Trump said no to him, not because he was taking a stand against Trump.

All that being said, overall Mattis deserves a lot of respect for his service to his country. I just think there is a difference between Mattis in the military and Mattis in the political world.

So when Trump stands up to Mattis with a decision that I think most would agree was the correct decision, Trump is still the bad guy?
    Trump abandoned 130,000 of our allies, the Kurds, to be slaughtered by Erdowan, so no...
    2023 Sweet 16

Mattis now tries to make it seem like he quit because he was too moral for the Trump administration. My point is that isn't correct. Mattis got pissed and quit because Trump said no to him, not because he was taking a stand against Trump.

All that being said, overall Mattis deserves a lot of respect for his service to his country. I just think there is a difference between Mattis in the military and Mattis in the political world.
    So you think Mattis 'deserves a lot of respect' but you are giving him no respect by assuming he is petty enough that he issued this statement out of some kind of spite because he disagreed with Trump on Syria withdrawal? How the hell do you know why he quit or what the details around it were? You are crafting assumptions to fit your preconceived viewpoint even if it means basically calling Mattis a liar with (presumably) no actual knowledge of your own with which to refute anything he said.

Why did he wait until now? Why not say something earlier?
    Eat Donuts!

So you think Mattis 'deserves a lot of respect' but you are giving him no respect by assuming he is petty enough that he issued this statement out of some kind of spite because he disagreed with Trump on Syria withdrawal? How the hell do you know why he quit or what the details around it were? You are crafting assumptions to fit your preconceived viewpoint even if it means basically calling Mattis a liar with (presumably) no actual knowledge of your own with which to refute anything he said.

Why did he wait until now? Why not say something earlier?
    Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, a living Marine Corps legend who made history by securing special permission from Congress to lead the Pentagon, is stepping down after a slow freeze-out by President Trump.

Drift between the two men reached a point at which Mattis objected so strongly to the president's policy choices that he opted to resign rather than go along.

The final break appeared to be over major withdrawals of American forces from Syria and Afghanistan, which Trump ordered over the objections of his national security advisers, including Mattis.
    https://www.npr.org/2018/12/20/62324...ary-trump-says

It's possible to disagree with someone at a certain point but still respect that person.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Trump abandoned 130,000 of our allies, the Kurds, to be slaughtered by Erdowan, so no...
    Can you send a link to this genocide? I can’t find it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/20/62324...ary-trump-says

It's possible to disagree with someone at a certain point but still respect that person.
    This is what you said, in writing, a few posts ago

But what you are doing isn't just disagreeing with him, it's assigning motives to his actions that are less than honorable. He is saying he is speaking out right now because he feels an obligation to do so in light of recent events, whereas you seem to be trying to twist it into him speaking out because of some sort of childish anger against Trump.

If you read the statement it doesn't really address his reason for leaving much at all - it's about recent events. That makes it even stranger to tie it back to some bitterness around his departure from the White House 18 months ago. The man is a 4 Star General, not a petulant child.

I'm not sure what your motivation for that would/could be, other than perhaps an infatuation with Trump causes a knee-jerk reaction to slander anyone who speaks out against him regardless of who that person is or what they have done.
    Eat Donuts!