Page 76 of 81 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    This is dated, and admittedly most people don't find it as funny as I do, but I think it's hilarious.

This was posted by a local radio station a couple of years after Herb Sendek had been fired. Herb Sendek is far from being a great coach, but I do think he's at least a decent coach and he's done better at NC State than probably anyone since Jimmy V. Wittenberg arrived, and the program went into a tailspin by year two (which is when I think this was posted). That same year, Sendek had Arizona State, who had been a dumpster fire (and is once again) in the NCAA Tournament.

So, that's the backstory. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwOou2hDhQo
    In fairness to NC State, Sendek really did suck, and was fired by Arizona State, too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    In fairness to NC State, Sendek really did suck, and was fired by Arizona State, too.
    The year they fired him, he had made his fifth straight tournament, and he made it out of the first round four of those five years. I wouldn't call that sucking. I wouldn't call it as good as Duke or UNC, but if you were to compile a list of teams who have been to five straight tournaments and been past the first round in at least four of them, you'd have a rather short list. And it's not like they were good when he took them over. They were coming off of four straight years of finishing in either 8th or 9th place and had been nowhere close to the NIT, much less the NCAA. I wouldn't call that sucking. I'd call it at least decent. They really haven't done any better since then.

And speaking of suck, it appears as though Gottfried will actually coach the rest of this season. Yeah, NC State is once again handling things very well!!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Oh, I think Sendek was fine at NC State. But based on his results at Arizona State, firing him was no big loss. Neither side really got the last laugh there.

I'm hearing that Debbie Yow will be retiring in a year. That makes the NC State job seem a little better.

Pat Kelsey gets a passing mention for NC State.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/gottfri...ry?id=45545054

The real reason Miller isn't going to take the job isn't the current administration or the fact that it's a tier below the elite in the conference. He's waiting for Matta to retire, and with his back issues it could be this season.

I wouldn't go there because of Yow and because of the fans. Well, that and I don't have the slightest idea of how to be a basketball coach.

But with half of those things changing the job doesn't seem quite as bad.

NC State is still a brutal job even without Yow. It's like taking the job of Purdue's head football coach and being expected to perform at the level of Ohio State and Michigan, and then even if you manage to be that good for one or two seasons you get run through the ringer whenever you fall short of that. NC State just isn't Duke or UNC, yet they think that they are and they dump on whoever the coach is when they fall short of that.

But, as Go pointed out, they haven't had the best coaches either.

I like Pat Kelsey. I hope he doesn't end up at NC State. I want someone who I don't really like to end up there.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    The real reason Miller isn't going to take the job isn't the current administration or the fact that it's a tier below the elite in the conference. He's waiting for Matta to retire, and with his back issues it could be this season.
    Ohio State is interesting. The boosters, especially the top level boosters, have a ton of pull there. I understand that they want Archie. But I've also heard that the athletic department would rather have Christ Holtmann. But, they ultimately be overruled.

Full disclosure, this is all hearsay, but it's hearsay from people that I personally think would know.

Brew, maybe someone like Miller would take the long view on NCState.
    He's young. In the not too distant future, Williams and K will be gone. Their programs might not hold the same high ground they do now.
    Maybe Miller could be there to change the ACC dynamic.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Or be fired which could also be this season.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17