Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where were you on 9/11

I was coming out of a workout at the YMCA and into the lobby. One plane had just hit the World Trade Center. I stood around with about 5 others which slowly turned into about 20. Then we all saw the second plane hit. There was a gasp because we now knew that the first one was not an accident. Sad day indeed.
    Balls of Steele!!

Where were you on 9/11

Getting ready for class (Law school) when the first plane hit. Didn't think much of it because a commuter plane had clipped the antenna on one of the towers months before (media wasn't really sure how bad damage was). Second plane hit as I drove to downtown Indy. Watched the Towers fall in class because we were put on lockdown. Still remember like it was yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I was at work, went to a buddies office to talk. He had a small TV/radio thing that was on. We knew about the first plane hitting a tower, but assumed it was a small plane and a freak accident. I was talking with him when the video of the second plane hitting appeared. Silence. Mind numbing silence. In slow motion it was apparent it was NOT a small plane. Strangely, we were only about a mile from where Pres. Bush was sitting at Booker Elementary in Sarasota, FL. It took a long time to sink in, but about 6 weeks later we were staring at ground zero in person, refusing to change our already planned family vacation. Surreal. My kids still talk about seeing it in person. We had friends who worked in the towers but we're at a dentist appointment, kid's school trip, etc. One had been in the tower an hour earlier. At least 2 moved to Sarasota, wanting to get out of NYC. They lost all the people and things that surrounded them every day.

Supporting Member
    I was walking into the Philly airport for a business trip, by the time I got to my gate the 2nd plane had hit, the airport was silent as people tried to comprehend what was going on. Fairly quickly, it became apparent no planes would be leaving and I drove to my office. We were in the midst of moving from Philly to Cincy and the movers were finishing packing our house. My wife and kids were staying at a friends that night, my customer, unbelievably still wanted to meet, Late that afternoon, I got in my car and headed towards Cleveland.
    An X friend died in the WTC that day, she was pregnant and the brother of a very good friend. Incredibly sad day.

I was driving to work listening to The Howard Stern Show on the radio. Never forget that morning. Not a cloud in the sky, no humidity....a rarity in sinus valley. Ralph called in from the roof of his apartment and said from the beginning that there was no way a commuter plane could do that kind of damage to the Trade Center. Within 5 seconds of the second plane hitting, Howard said it was Bin Laden. It was surreal. Listening to people watching tv coverage and reacting. Instead of going to work, I went to my parents house and watched the news coverage for about another hour.

The other event I can vividly remember where I was was when there was the Magic Johnson HIV announcement. I was playing a very competitive game of ping ping in the basement at Brockman Hall my freshman year. You want to talk about one confused 18 year old after that announcement....now, it would be a story....back then? Crazy.

Now in Section 106 (Row L), after stints in Sections 104 and 105.
    I was attending Xavier's first annual fall retreat for faculty at the Cintas Center. Fr Graham came out and announced that a plane had hit the WTC. We were on coffee break when the second one hit. Needless to say, the retreat was cancelled and I watched the first tower fall on a TV in the Cintas. I had scheduled an exam for my MBA class out at GE for that evening. I cancelled class and went home to try an process what I had seen. I couldn't, and still cannot. One of my former students was to interview for a job in the WTC that morning. He got as far as the WTC subway stop when all hell broke loose. He survived.

My other such memorable event was when I was in HS in Vermont. The principal came on the PA and announced that Pres. Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. School was cancelled for the remainder of the day, and we all walked out of the building to go home. It was silent.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Junior
    I was traveling on business in Eastern Ohio. Heard on the radio a plane had hit WTC. Figured it was a small plane , visited my first customer, got back in the car, heard 2nd plane had hit, and first tower was falling. Hard to comprehend in a car, listening on the radio. By the time I got to the town of my next appt. I stopped at a Walmart and went to the tv dept. Then the magnitude of what happened became clearer. Remarkably I kept appointments with 2 more customers that day, one of which I had to explain to what happened . This was in a remote Amish area, so people were pretty clueless. Got to Cleveland area, checked into hotel, and just sat there watching tv all evening. The only other day that compares is being told in my 8th grade class at Holy Name School in Indy that JFK had been shot in Dallas, and we were all sent home.

In an elementary school classroom in New Rochelle, NY, 20 miles outside the city. I remember the teachers being pulled into a meeting with the principal. They decided not to tell us what was happening. Some kids were pulled out of school during the day by family. I was picked up by a neighbor who tried to explain what had happened - and I remember not grasping it at all. At first I thought it was an accident until I saw the images.

My parents are separated. My Mom worked in the financial district, my Dad lived on the upper west side and worked in midtown. Dad was totally fine, Manhattan was a scary place to be, but preferable considering that all transportation in and out of Manhattan was shut down. One of my aunts couldn't get in touch with him that day and put him on the missing person list. My mom saw the first plane hit while crossing the street, she wasn't sure what it was as she could just see a cloud of mostly paper. After the first tower fell her office was evacuated as it was close enough that if the other tower fell to the side it could have hit theirs. She had to walk from downtown manhattan to the bronx before she could get a cab - she got home around midnight.

Where were you on 9/11

I was at work listening to WLW like normal when they cut away to report on what was going on. We were looking at changing CPA firms and had people in from PriceWaterhouse Coopers that day reviewing our records to give us a quote.

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

I was teaching fifth graders in Cincy. They were in music class when the first tower was hit and I was in the office. The secretary told me about it, so I went to my classroom to turn on the news. It came on just when the second tower was hit. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had to make a decision about whether to tell the kids or not because the principal was out of the building. The secretary's son was in my class and she helped me decide to tell them. We watched the news for the rest of the day. We cried and talked a lot about what was happening. We also watched the UDF at the corner across from my school raise their gas from the low $1.00 to over $4.00. That was the last time it was that low for a long time. I only had one complaint from a parent about watching the event live. It was a tough decision but I think I made the right one. I was in total shock for weeks, as we're most Americans.