Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post

Did Kaepernick's form of protest actually bring more awareness to his cause?

No. Now people are discussing whether or not sitting the National Anthem is a proper form of protest. Which is frankly a shame, because discussions about race were in the limelight and receiving a lot of attention. Kaepernick made himself a sideshow to the cause he is advocating.
    Colin Kaepernick leads the NFL in jersey sales. I don't think it's fair to label his statements, whether right or wrong, as a failed attempt or a distraction to what he is advocating.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    I respectfully disagree with a lot of this.

I don't understand the relation between his profession / skill level on the field having anything to do with acting on his conscious and personal beliefs. You may disagree with Kaepernick's method of action (I personally do). To suggest that he is acting disingenuous seems to be a little strange. The ironic thing here is that he actually is risking a lot by what he's doing and he will be losing some of that multi-million dollar paycheck by giving back to the communities you claim he is "supposedly" passionate about.

He's using his platform to express his personal beliefs. It certainly doesn't solve all of the nations issues right away. If you go back and listen to his statements, they are not nearly as outlandish or controversial as many are portraying. He has said from the beginning his goal was to bring awareness to a situation he feels strongly about. He has accomplished that.
    I'll clarify one more time and then I'm out because I can only explain the same thing so many times.

I think he's suddenly all about protesting because he was about to lose his starting job and maybe his job altogether. I think it's now impossible for the 49ers to fire him, and he damn well knows it. Everyone knows it. I don't believe in coincidences. Where was he when Trayvon was shot? Michael Brown? Eric Garner? Where was he then? Too busy winning NFC Championships to be bothered, I guess. Now his stock is down. Cam Newton and Russell Wilson are who matter now. Do you watch Ballers? Jerry Maguire? You think staying in the spotlight doesn't matter, you're kidding yourself about how all this works.

If you believe his heart is really in the right place then good for you. I don't care if he moons the flag during the Anthem. It matters not to me. But, I'm not going to kiss his ass and call him a hero because he decided this season, when things are looking down a bit for him, to put himself in the spotlight.

Colin Kaepernick leads the NFL in jersey sales. I don't think it's fair to label his statements, whether right or wrong, as a failed attempt or a distraction to what he is advocating.
    His sales are up NOW. But they weren't before he decided to take a knee. Don't make it something it's not.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Weren't Ron Mexico jerseys also a hot thing at one point?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post
    His sales are up NOW. But they weren't before he decided to take a knee. Don't make it something it's not.
    That's exactly his point. People are buying his jersey to support what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by NY44 View Post
    That's exactly his point. People are buying his jersey to support what he's doing.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post
    I'll clarify one more time and then I'm out because I can only explain the same thing so many times.

I think he's suddenly all about protesting because he was about to lose his starting job and maybe his job altogether. I think it's now impossible for the 49ers to fire him, and he damn well knows it. Everyone knows it. I don't believe in coincidences. Where was he when Trayvon was shot? Michael Brown? Eric Garner? Where was he then? Too busy winning NFC Championships to be bothered, I guess. Now his stock is down. Cam Newton and Russell Wilson are who matter now. Do you watch Ballers? Jerry Maguire? You think staying in the spotlight doesn't matter, you're kidding yourself about how all this works.
    Interesting little tidbit, Kapernick has been very consistent with his viewpoints on social media for quite some time. I know a lot of people probably don't care what he chooses to do on his own free time which is cool. But maybe, just maybe, being privy to his outspokenness and passion about civil rights and police brutality for a while now was part of my reasoning to the post I made. Or maybe we should just make blanket statements about him being a douche for attention.

Here's a post he made about Sandra Bland in 2015. https://www.instagram.com/p/_nFhjBNBCA/

And look, here's another post he made about racism needing to change.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_H9BPWNB...by=kaepernick7

"If you believe his heart is really in the right place then good for you."

Remember when he was fined by the NFL for wearing pink headphones in support of breast cancer? I wonder if his heart was in the right place in 2014.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1969411
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by NY44 View Post
    Thanks. That is exactly my point.
    Run the table.

I do not think they are being disingenuous AT ALL.

I can understand, respect, and agree with people who don't like what they're doing. I won't disagree with people who say what he's doing is wrong. I don't agree with those that think his feelings and reasons are not genuine.

Athletes, particularly and especially those who play in the NFL, are highly discouraged from doing anything that's controversial. The teams, coaches, scouts, and front office simply don't want to deal with the headaches. On top of this, the agents know it, so they also highly discourage it so their clients don't get cut. The only ones that can really get away with it are the really big stars. I think it has been established that Kaepernick is not an NFL superstar. He's probably closer to the end of his career than he is to his peak, which makes teams more likely to conclude that he's just not worth the distraction. He's also giving a million bucks to charity in an attempt to raise awareness. Even if his reasons for not standing for the anthem were entirely self serving, I don't he would be able to serve himself the equivalent of a million bucks.

The only reason I can think of as to why he would donate that much money when he's closer to the end of his career and putting his spot on the team in quite a bit of jeopardy is because he is entirely serious about this issue. I get not liking his method. I get not liking him. I don't agree that he's doing it for self serving or disingenuous reasons. What he's doing actually amounts to taking a very big risk and I'm certain he knows that.
    Last edited by xubrew; 09-08-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
    I'd bet we met at Dana's one night....

I'm sure the royalty sales will triple his donation to whomever. Good move. I'm sick of these black multimillionaire athletes coming up with stupid acts. DO SOMETHING about it! You're a filthy rich AMERICAN. Organize together and start a movement to improve conditions. Start with JOBS. Send kids to trade school. Get them a skill that will never leave them, welding, auto mechanics, etc. Everywhere I go in Denver they are begging for workers. Unemployment is 3% which means to me everyone who wants to work has a job. Put those Chicago kids on a bus and give them a place to stay for 6 months. Relocate people to where the jobs are!
    My Dad graduated first in his class in accounting and couldn't get a job bcuz he was an Irish catholic! The WASP's didn't hire catholics then. He finally was offered a job by a jew and stayed with him 45 yrs.! Blacks don't even have that problem today. They just lack the education.
    Stop blaming the system/white people. We're sick of that shit. Get your asses going in the right direction. Stop with the "I got mine, fuck everybody else" mentality. Stop impregnating women and skipping out. Support your people by doing more and get real results. Stop the Bitching and get to work. You have terrific pull with top 500 companies. Use it. Train your people for what THEY need. Get their help with training. The models are there, use them! Help your people to help themselves with your mega-millions and stop blaming anybody except yourselves. BOOTSTRAPS!
    2023 Sweet 16