Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    So many angles and opinions and ways that you can look at this. I'm a middle aged white man, so I don't know how well I can speak to all of this. I do know that in my heart, I am not a racist and I do try to be a good person to all people. Is there racism in America? Sure there is. Is there racism in other countries? Sure there is. Will we ever be a perfect society? No. Never going to happen. Is it better today in 2016 for minorities than it was in 1970? I think so, but have no way of proving or disproving this. It seems we've come a long way in this country over the last several decades, but have little to show for it. Does all of this help? Maybe. Surely the press alone and awareness that it has created can't be bad thing. This is AMERICA. You can do whatever you want and protest however you want as long as you're not breaking the law. I honestly don't know why anyone would be upset with Kap. He has his own opinions and his own agenda and if it differs from yours, so be it. Get on with your life. The flag means many things for many different people. If we all acted the same, felt the same, believed in the same things we wouldn't be the country we are today. It's what makes us great country in my opinion.

They have every right to take these actions.

And we have every right to judge them by their actions.

What a great country! Not perfect, but great.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    They have every right to take these actions.

And we have every right to judge them by their actions.

What a great country! Not perfect, but great.
    I like this take.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post
    So, what is a quarterback, who, let's be honest, isn't qualified to do much else in the real world, to do at the ripe old age of 28 when you're being overshadowed by Russel Wilson and Cam Newton whose play does the talking? I know! Take a stand about an issue that's been boiling over for a few years. Yeah! That's the ticket. But not too much of a stand. I mean, you don't want to get shot during a protest or actually lose your multi-million dollar paycheck. No, let's just not stand for the National Anthem, get all the white people all riled up, and pretend that it's actually doing any good whatsoever for the blacks and Latinos who are actually facing the racial inequality you're supposedly so passionate about fighting. It's keeping DeRay McKesson and Shaun King warm at night, so that's what matters.
    This is a bizarre tirade.

Non-violent protest is a staple of progress in this country. The socks were a bit heavy handed for me, but it's freedom of speech guys. He has a voice, he has a platform, and a right to use it. To contend that someone should be silent because their message goes against our military, an extension of our government, is what is truly un-American.

He has freedom of speech, and he's used it to be an asshole. Hope he enjoys not being arrested for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NY44 View Post
    This is a bizarre tirade.

Non-violent protest is a staple of progress in this country. The socks were a bit heavy handed for me, but it's freedom of speech guys. He has a voice, he has a platform, and a right to use it. To contend that someone should be silent because their message goes against our military, an extension of our government, is what is truly un-American.
    This isn't at all the point I was making. I have no idea what the military has to do with any of it, frankly.

My point is that it's a disingenuous protest, and like Bandaid said it has distracted from the real issue at hand (and many other black NFL players have said the same thing, but their opinions don't count, I guess.) His "non-violent protest" is making little to no difference at all to curing society's ills. Who is he actually helping beside himself? What real change has he exacted? Why did it take him years to do something? Seems coincidental that all of a sudden he's likely to lose his starting spot and now he needs to conscientiously object and miraculously wind up in the spotlight. Russell who? Cam who?

If people need to believe that he's doing this for all the right reasons, then so be it. Like I said, it seems to be keeping a certain group warm at night, and that's fine. I'd much rather praise the people and raise the profile of the people who are really fighting to make a difference. The pastors and former gang members and police officers who are trying to bridge those gaps, who are in the neighborhoods every day really trying to make a difference - not just talking about one or taking a knee because it's easy.

You know, my favorite part of the Conventions this summer was when Obama said "Don't boo. Vote!" I thought that spoke about so much more than just voting against Trump. Don't just sit there and whine. Go out. Get something done. DO SOMETHING. Kap isn't doing anything that takes much effort. Instead it just riled the same people up over nothing, and now it's about Kap and not about racial injustice (which absolutely exists in this country.) But, we should call Kap courageous for this so-called protest? Please. It takes a lot more for me to be impressed.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I honestly don't know why anyone would be upset with Kap.
    Because it's in incredibly poor taste, that's why.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post

So, what is a quarterback, who, let's be honest, isn't qualified to do much else in the real world, to do at the ripe old age of 28 when you're being overshadowed by Russel Wilson and Cam Newton whose play does the talking? I know! Take a stand about an issue that's been boiling over for a few years. Yeah! That's the ticket. But not too much of a stand. I mean, you don't want to get shot during a protest or actually lose your multi-million dollar paycheck. No, let's just not stand for the National Anthem, get all the white people all riled up, and pretend that it's actually doing any good whatsoever for the blacks and Latinos who are actually facing the racial inequality you're supposedly so passionate about fighting. .
    I respectfully disagree with a lot of this.

I don't understand the relation between his profession / skill level on the field having anything to do with acting on his conscious and personal beliefs. You may disagree with Kaepernick's method of action (I personally do). To suggest that he is acting disingenuous seems to be a little strange. The ironic thing here is that he actually is risking a lot by what he's doing and he will be losing some of that multi-million dollar paycheck by giving back to the communities you claim he is "supposedly" passionate about.

He's using his platform to express his personal beliefs. It certainly doesn't solve all of the nations issues right away. If you go back and listen to his statements, they are not nearly as outlandish or controversial as many are portraying. He has said from the beginning his goal was to bring awareness to a situation he feels strongly about. He has accomplished that.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    This is AMERICA. You can do whatever you want and protest however you want as long as you're not breaking the law. I honestly don't know why anyone would be upset with Kap. He has his own opinions and his own agenda and if it differs from yours, so be it. Get on with your life.
    Wait, what? So do you not understand why people are upset with Westboro Baptist folks picketing funerals with their God Hates Fags signs? I mean, they're just protesting how they want and aren't breaking the law. Everyone involved should just accept their agendas differ and get on with their lives?

I wonder if anyone has gotten upset over sport protests in the past. Hm...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/olympic-
    protestors-stripped-of-their-medals

People in the crowd booed and cursed at the athletes. The IOC convened the next day and determined that Smith and Carlos would have to forfeit their medals and leave the Olympic Village—and Mexico—immediately. Brundage even threatened to boot the entire American team as punishment. “The untypical exhibitionism of these athletes violates the basic standards of good manners and sportsmanship, which are so highly valued in the United States,” the U.S. Olympic Committee said “Such immature behavior is an isolated incident” and “a willful disregard of Olympic principles.”
    Sounds familiar doesn't it?