Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Brew, it's moments like this when I am reminded of one of my favorite Seinfeld quotes: "I never met a man who knew so much about nothing."
    Hey, when you've spent most of your life being interested in things that aren't really interesting, then you learn a lot about nothing. It's a shame I can't put any of this knowledge to an actual practical use. But, it's great for trivia and message boards!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Obviously the percentage of children born in single parent homes is the highest with black people, but the rate of that with white peoples has been rising at a similar rate. It's getting worse across all races.
    From the Atlantic:

Regardless, there is no disagreement that the majority, and perhaps the large majority, of inmates grew up in fatherless homes. It's difficult to get up-to-date data since the Bureau of Justice doesn't reliably track the family background of inmates. (They also put intact and step families in the same "two parent" category, though at least one study has found the later to be predictive of juvenile incarceration.) The 1987 "Survey of Youth in Custody" found that 70% did not grow up with both parents. Another 1994 study of Wisconsin juveniles was even more stark: only 13% grew up with their married parents. Here's the conclusion of Cynthia Harper and Sara McLanahan, the doyenne of researchers about single parenthood: "[C]ontrolling for income and all other factors, youths in father-absent families (mother only, mother-stepfather, and relatives/other) still had significantly higher odds of incarceration than those from mother-father families."
    1987 was 70%

1994 was 87%

2016 is ????

I would not be surprised that over 90% of our prisoner population came from broken homes. The Blacks and the Whites and also the Hispanics. Asians don't tend to have broken homes, but when they do I would not be surprised.

This isn't something that our government appears to be able to address, and marriage and stable homes fall more by the wayside for Whites, Hispanics and Blacks.

If you want your children to live a good and healthy life, you should commit yourself too them. And if you don't, the USG is not going to save them. You are casting them into the abyss. And for that you are a sinner!

I am not even a great dad, but I love the hell out of my kids and still threaten them with the belt! My oldest is bigger than me for Christ's sake.

The breakdown of the family is the biggest political factor in American politics. And it leans heavily as you might guess toward Democrats. It is just the truth.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Those statements about him disingenuously protesting because he was a free agent and wanted to make money somewhere didn't age well.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    Those statements about him disingenuously protesting because he was a free agent and wanted to make money somewhere didn't age well.
    He should have sucked less at football.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    He should have sucked less at football.
    Oh so that's why he's not signed to being a backup yet. Got it. Can't wait to see which team drafts Joe Mixon!
    Run the table.

Oh so that's why he's not signed to being a backup yet.
    Yes. That's typically how these things work.

Oh so that's why he's not signed to being a backup yet. Got it. Can't wait to see which team drafts Joe Mixon!
    Well that combined with wanting to be a guaranteed starter and be paid like a top 20 quarterback. $9M-$10M/year would be #23. He would be ahead of players who show much more promise, but haven't played out their rookie contracts (Winston @ $6M, Mariota @ $6M, Wentz @ $6.5M, etc). If he was looking for top of the range backup money (assuming the top 32 paid QBs are starters, which isn't entirely true (ie Romo vs Dak Prescott, etc), but directionally provides some, insight he should be looking in the $3.5M range.

If someone thought he was a legit starter with upside maybe they pay the $9M to start, but that is where the sucking less at football kicks in. When he realizes teams don't view him as that (or someone gets really desperate after the draft) he'll probably get signed.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar

Kaepernick and Rapinoe

If he wants to be a guaranteed starter, send him to Cleve-

Nah, that's way too cruel.

Supporting Member
    I think there are multiple factors in play. Primarily, he wants to be a starter at starter-ish money (I think he would jump at anything in the $8-$10 range with incentives). I think he's waiting for the music to stop and see who is left that needs a starter.
    Romo sorted itself out; there's still Cutler and the draft. I'm sure once it's over not all 32 teams are going to feel good about their QB situation.

As a backup, I'm sure the majority of the teams don't want the hassle of him on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdiggins View Post
    Well that combined with wanting to be a guaranteed starter and be paid like a top 20 quarterback. $9M-$10M/year would be #23. He would be ahead of players who show much more promise, but haven't played out their rookie contracts (Winston @ $6M, Mariota @ $6M, Wentz @ $6.5M, etc). If he was looking for top of the range backup money (assuming the top 32 paid QBs are starters, which isn't entirely true (ie Romo vs Dak Prescott, etc), but directionally provides some, insight he should be looking in the $3.5M range.

If someone thought he was a legit starter with upside maybe they pay the $9M to start, but that is where the sucking less at football kicks in. When he realizes teams don't view him as that (or someone gets really desperate after the draft) he'll probably get signed.
    Those are rookie contracts. Compare him to other borderline starter/backup types.

Mike f*cking Glennon just got 15 million. Tyrod Taylor is getting 15 million. Alex Smith, who can't throw over 20 yards, is making 17 million. Brock Osweiler is making 18 million. McCown and Hoyer are making 6 million. I'd definitely slot him between those making 15-18 and those two jackasses making 6.