Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Kaepernick and Rapinoe

I get what and why Kaepernick and Rapinoe are doing and I applaud them by taking a stand, however I disagree and find it very sad that they would do it during the National Anthem. Sad because it seems as if nothing is sacred.

The National Anthem represents Freedom and Liberty and Kaepernick and Rapinoe, and many others feel that their Liberty is being taken awayor short changed and therefore that would be the best time to express themselves. I get that. But in the long run, there will ALWAYS be someone who feels mistreated(rightfully or otherwise), sit during the National Anthem, and disrespect those who have fallen and/or put their lives in danger so that that protester can have the Liberty to shit on them(our servicemen). With that in mind, I still and never will agree that sitting or kneeling during our National Anthem is the proper time or place.

Protesting and standing up against what is wrong is awesome and what makes America great. We become a better/greater nation in the long run.

Owners of the the Washington Spirit are either veterans themselves or have had close friends die in combat.
    I do respect the owners of the Washington Spirit that said....

"We decided to play the anthem in our stadium ahead of schedule rather than subject our fans and friends to the disrespect we feel such an act would represent," the Spirit said in a statement. "We understand this may be seen as an extraordinary step, but believe it was the best option to avoid taking focus away from the game on such an important night for our franchise."

"To willingly allow anyone to hijack this tradition that means so much to millions of Americans and so many of our own fans for any cause would effectively be just as disrespectful as doing it ourselves," the Spirit said in the statement.

So what are your thoughts on the subject?
    Balls of Steele!!

The biggest argument for Kap is that the troops fought for the right to CHOOSE wether to sit or stand during the National Anthem. I don't personally think he should sit during the anthem because of what this country is founded on, my parents immigrated here from India, and I'm blessed to have the life I have in America from my dad going from rags to riches and being able to put me through college. I'm very patriotic even with Indian heritage, I don't take kindly to people dishonoring our flag or what our country represents, but I do understand the viewpoint that this country is based off freedom, and that he has the choice to sit or stand. I agree in saying that there's better outlets of protest than the National Anthem.

I know relations in this country are at a tipping point, however, I think we have a lot of other major issues at hand than making a huge deal over Kap sitting/standing. For example, Brock Turner gets out 3 months early?? What the hell is that?? Although I don't agree with him at all, and think it could be done in another form (protest, wear shirts, do whatever you need to do) and that we shouldn't disgrace our flag and anthem. I honestly wish this wasn't a talking point, and that we could try to correct some of the systematic problems we have going on in our country.

At the end of the day, this place is built off freedom, so he has the choice to do what he wants. While I don't agree, I can't be-little him for taking a stand even though the outlet might not be the right one.

Kaepernick has every right to act like a prick. Well done Kap.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Kaepernick has every right to act like a prick. Well done Kap.
    Yes, he's very good at acting like a piece of shit.
    X A V I E R

Junior
    Why did Kaepernick sit during the National Anthem?

To bring more awareness to a cause, namely systemic racism in America.

Did Kaepernick's form of protest actually bring more awareness to his cause?

No. Now people are discussing whether or not sitting the National Anthem is a proper form of protest. Which is frankly a shame, because discussions about race were in the limelight and receiving a lot of attention. Kaepernick made himself a sideshow to the cause he is advocating.
    zip em up

Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    systemic racism
    Blech

As an American, I find it reassuring that Kaepernick and Rapinoe can be total douchenuggets and not be hauled off to some work camp or executed on sight by the government. It's good to be an American.

However, I'm also not going to pretend that I think either one of them are really, truly, deeply in the bottom of their hearts doing this because of some deep-seated desire for racial equality. I'll start with Rapinoe. I mean, really? I don't remember hearing her name during all those protests and marches. Girl's getting older. She missed the Olympics because of a nagging ACL injury. It sucks to get old, but it sucks even more to get old when you play a sport for a living. Something has to keep her in the lime-light. Something has to keep her from losing her place on her team. Taking a "stand" like this almost guarantees she won't be cut from a team because what owner wants that shit storm?

But Megan just took a page out of Kap's playbook. Rumors circulated for a while that he wanted out of San Francisco and that San Francisco wanted him out of a 49ers uniform. But, rumors were also circulating that no one would pick him up on waivers because he's a douchenugget. He's never been as great as he thought he was, although the potential was there, and then the 49ers bring in new blood making it seem as though he'll lose his starting spot. His own teammates didn't rush to defend him when the story broke, and some even criticized him for being out of touch. Gee. I wonder why? Probably because he's routinely been considered one of the most unlikeable people to play in the NFL, a league full of really unlikeable, foul people.

So, what is a quarterback, who, let's be honest, isn't qualified to do much else in the real world, to do at the ripe old age of 28 when you're being overshadowed by Russel Wilson and Cam Newton whose play does the talking? I know! Take a stand about an issue that's been boiling over for a few years. Yeah! That's the ticket. But not too much of a stand. I mean, you don't want to get shot during a protest or actually lose your multi-million dollar paycheck. No, let's just not stand for the National Anthem, get all the white people all riled up, and pretend that it's actually doing any good whatsoever for the blacks and Latinos who are actually facing the racial inequality you're supposedly so passionate about fighting. It's keeping DeRay McKesson and Shaun King warm at night, so that's what matters.

I put Kaepernick and Rapinoe in the same boat as Sharpton. They're a lot of flash and talk, but when it comes down to it, it's the people that are actually on the ground, in the thick of things, making a difference. The people being helped the most by Kap and Rapinoe are Kap and Rapinoe. It's naive to think otherwise.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

Sweet Mother of God. Courage? Really? Yes. It's just so darn courageous for a multi-millionaire to take a knee during the National Anthem on the sidelines of an NFL game where he's protected by the very security forces he's protesting. Gosh. His stomach must have been all tied up in knots. Now he's donating the proceeds from his jersey sales to charity. I hope he can spare it. I'd hate to think he won't be able to get a new tattoo in the off season, or buy himself a new car, or a new pair of socks because of his tremendous monetary donation. Can we gain some perspective? Like the Dallas Police Chief said - you feel that strongly, put in a resume and the police will put you in a neighborhood where you can do some real good. Until then, spare me the courageous posturing.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    Why did Kaepernick sit during the National Anthem?

To bring more awareness to a cause, namely systemic racism in America.

Did Kaepernick's form of protest actually bring more awareness to his cause?

No. Now people are discussing whether or not sitting the National Anthem is a proper form of protest. Which is frankly a shame, because discussions about race were in the limelight and receiving a lot of attention. Kaepernick made himself a sideshow to the cause he is advocating.
    How hard can it be to hold a serious discussion with someone wearing socks showing pigs as cops?

To LadyMuskie's point, Colin is putting a helluva lot more money on the line with his actions than Rapinoe is by playing copycat. Even before the incident, he was battling with retread Blaine Gabbert for the 49ers' QB spot.