Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroin

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Is that, at least in part, because of lack of jail space?
    Lack of jail space, not a big of a problem with a lack of prison space.

I have a friend who's son spent about a year in jail getting clean while they haggled over what to do with him. He was allowed back into drug court (which is unusual) and is, at this moment, doing just fine. Holding down a job and having a decent life. The sheriff told my friend about 90% of the people locked up are drug related in some way. That's insane!

Lol, the Scanner Darkly reference. I love that author FYI. Not many people realize that Minority Report, Paycheck, Total Recall, and Adjustment Bureau are all based on his books. Dude wrote some pretty crazy stuff.

How long until this thread becomes a legalized marijuana discussion?

10 years ago, I crashed at mile ~85 in a century race and basically face planted into the concrete. I had a fractured orbital bone, severe concussion, and shattered my helmet which absorbed about half the blow (probably dead without it). I was in the lead group also, but anyway. Doctor wanted to give me percoset for the pain of my face and two broken ribs. I pass on it because of how addictive that stuff is. I just lived with the pain.

The doctor was very quick to grab his note pad for it, it was all troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Any Philip K Dick fans out there?? Heroin = Substance D.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Lol, the Scanner Darkly reference. I love that author FYI. Not many people realize that Minority Report, Paycheck, Total Recall, and Adjustment Bureau are all based on his books. Dude wrote some pretty crazy stuff.

How long until this thread becomes a legalized marijuana discussion?

10 years ago, I crashed at mile ~85 in a century race and basically face planted into the concrete. I had a fractured orbital bone, severe concussion, and shattered my helmet which absorbed about half the blow (probably dead without it). I was in the lead group also, but anyway. Doctor wanted to give me percoset for the pain of my face and two broken ribs. I pass on it because of how addictive that stuff is. I just lived with the pain.

The doctor was very quick to grab his note pad for it, it was all troubling.
    You forgot Bladerunner.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Didn't forget, I just think most people know that was him. I believe and correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he help write the movie version? I believe the guy who did Bladerunner also did Soldier with Kurt Russel (made a comment how he imagined in the same universe as Bladerunner).

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    You forgot Bladerunner.

Sophomore
    My brother married into a family with someone who broke their leg playing soccer in high school. He became addicted to his prescription and turned to heroin when it ran out. He's been in and out of rehab a ton and was given Narcan after an OD last year.

Prison can't be the answer. It's hard enough for a recovering opioid addict to get a job, let alone an opioid addict who has just been out of jail without proper withdrawal treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    My brother married into a family with someone who broke their leg playing soccer in high school. He became addicted to his prescription and turned to heroin when it ran out. He's been in and out of rehab a ton and was given Narcan after an OD last year.

Prison can't be the answer. It's hard enough for a recovering opioid addict to get a job, let alone an opioid addict who has just been out of jail without proper withdrawal treatment.
    As I said before treatment first then prison. Heroin addicts are given more chances at treatment than you people will ever know. Many either don't follow the rules/guidelines or do for a bit then stop. At what point do you say enough is enough and lock them away? After they've stolen all of their family's money? Or after another gets behind the wheel and hurts or kills someone else. Because there are currently rumors that heroin addicts are purposefully shooting up and then driving because they know if they OD, the police will respond quicker if a traffic accident is involved versus them lying on the floor somewhere.

Addiction is a disease with no cure. The only hope an addict has, be it an addict of alcohol, drugs, food, or whatever else is to learn to control the craving so that it doesn't become too powerful on a day by day basis. So, while heroin addiction can't be cured, it can - if the addict so chooses - be controlled and maintained. That's a choice only one person, the addict, can make. Forcing him does no good as he will, most assuredly, relapse. At some point, we have to be realistic. If a person has been offered help to get clean and repeatedly turns it down or ignores it, then how many more resources does that person deserve? And at what stake? How much does society pay (not just monetarily, but in safety, etc.) to help someone who does not want help? I don't know the answer, but at some point I do think the "second chances" have to end. Some people just don't want the help.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

If we stopped wasting taxpayer money on Narcan the demand for the heroin would go down. Many an anecdotal story about using it on the same person multiple times in a week, but that person of course refusing further help. Unfortunately too many people truly don't want to get better and/or stay clean. Not sure how politicians can address that. Yes I know this proposed solution would sacrifice the miniscule % of people who do recover and go on to lead productive lives, but I'm an @ss like that.

Pain Management Centers IMO are legalized drugs pushing zones. It is truely sad how easy it is to get hard drugs. But hey, doctors need to make a living too.
    Balls of Steele!!