Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Oklahoma should have scheduled Tulsa and Maryland instead of Houston and Ohio State. They'd be 12-0 and the #2 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Oklahoma should have scheduled Tulsa and Maryland instead of Houston and Ohio State. They'd be 12-0 and the #2 seed.
    Probably so.

I think that I'm thinking what everyone else is thinking, and that it will be Bama v Washington and Ohio State v Clemson.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Big XII has got to step up and win some decent OOC games. The committee isn't going to be impressed with anyone from the Big XII until they do. The best win for the whole conference was a home win by Okie State over and an unranked 8-4 Pitt team.

Quote Originally Posted by XUglow View Post
    Big XII has got to step up and win some decent OOC games. The committee isn't going to be impressed with anyone from the Big XII until they do. The best win for the whole conference was a home win by Okie State over and an unranked 8-4 Pitt team.
    I don't think it matters. Who did Washington beat out of conference??

I agree with Go. The message here is to not lose OOC games, and the best way to do that is to not schedule difficult OOC games. Had Oklahoma scheduled Tulsa and Maryland instead of Ohio State, they'd be in. And...that's really a shame.

For all three years, the four playoff teams that the committee has selected has identically matched what the top four BCS teams would have been had they used that formula. It's the same, and the points of emphasis are the same. Don't lose. It's better to beat ten average teams than to beat nine good teams and lose to one really good team.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I don't think it matters. Who did Washington beat out of conference??

I agree with Go. The message here is to not lose OOC games, and the best way to do that is to not schedule difficult OOC games. Had Oklahoma scheduled Tulsa and Maryland instead of Ohio State, they'd be in. And...that's really a shame.

For all three years, the four playoff teams that the committee has selected has identically matched what the top four BCS teams would have been had they used that formula. It's the same, and the points of emphasis are the same. Don't lose. It's better to beat ten average teams than to beat nine good teams and lose to one really good team.
    Brew, Oklahoma would be in (they would be 11-1) and Ohio State (they would be 10-2) wouldn't even be under serious discussion had the Sooners won that game at home. Then we'd be having a furious debate between Washington getting in and Penn State not getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Brew, Oklahoma would be in (they would be 11-1) and Ohio State (they would be 10-2) wouldn't even be under serious discussion had the Sooners won that game at home. Then we'd be having a furious debate between Washington getting in and Penn State not getting in.
    I agree.

But, the whole elo chess concept is basically thrown out the window with the football committee just as it is with the voters. It's the non-power five teams being completely ignored, then it's the power five teams with the fewest losses, then it's the power five teams who lost the earliest. That's how they're rankings typically play out, and that's how the top four playoff teams have always played out. It's different people, but they're looking at things in pretty much the same way and producing the same results.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    And then there's the coaching carousel for football. With the vacancies at Texas, Baylor, Oregon and Purdue now filled, the notable openings are now UC, Houston, South Florida and Temple. With PJ Fleck still available, I'd have to think that UC has to be getting everything but the kitchen sink ready to entice him to come to Clifton. I'm surprised he didn't go to Purdue - he must be holding out for a real plum job to open up in another year or two. He's gone as far as he can at Western Michigan.

Supporting Member
    Just go to the 8 team playoff already...5 power conference champions, 1 non power 5 champion, and two at large. That would give teams like ohio state and michigan this year the ability to still be in the playoff and it would give winning a conference championship meaning again.

I dont understand why people are against this...they say "well it will lessen the regular season" No it wont and thats a terrible argument. If anything it will give more credence to the regular season becauee conference championships will actually mean something.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Just go to the 8 team playoff already...5 power conference champions, 1 non power 5 champion, and two at large. That would give teams like ohio state and michigan this year the ability to still be in the playoff and it would give winning a conference championship meaning again.

I dont understand why people are against this...they say "well it will lessen the regular season" No it wont and thats a terrible argument. If anything it will give more credence to the regular season becauee conference championships will actually mean something.
    i like that format, but it works best if the quarterfinal games are played on campus for the higher seeds. Gives a little more meaning to being in the top 4 as opposed to 5th-8th

I look forward to the 9th and 10th team arguments.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!