Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2020

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    It will. Luckily, my daughter received a full ride next fall......it is at UK, though, so I'm a little sad, but my wallet says I'll be okay.
    The income gap between college grads and those that aren't is massive. Over 1 MM in a lifetime. I know this doesn't cover all scenario's.......But a 100K education is still very much worth it to the masses.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    You can attend Xavier for about 10K more per year than you would pay at UC, OU, Miami etc.......that's with what I would consider a decent ACT score and good HS grades. They have to be somewhat competitive........
    Isn't Miami supposed to be a pretty damn good school though? I'm not from the area nor had Miami on my radar when looking at colleges so excuse my ignorance, but I always thought that Miami was pretty tough too, so would it be worth paying 10k more to go to Xavier rather than to Miami??

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    would it be worth paying 10k more to go to Xavier rather than to Miami??
    It would be worth $10k/year for the rest of your life to never have to interact with anyone who went to Miami.

Apologies if anyone posting here went to Miami or is married to such a person. But if you did/are, you know what I'm talking about anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It would be worth $10k/year for the rest of your life to never have to interact with anyone who went to Miami.

Apologies if anyone posting here went to Miami or is married to such a person. But if you did/are, you know what I'm talking about anyway.
    Hahaha I actually know a girl down here in Med School that went to Miami, but she's a bit older so she's not terrible at all, a Buckeye fan too, so I should hate everything she stands for, I also knew a guy to played basketball at Miami (Kalif Wright) and I visited him a couple times, I liked the feel of Miami just didn't know much about the place.

Isn't Miami supposed to be a pretty damn good school though? I'm not from the area nor had Miami on my radar when looking at colleges so excuse my ignorance, but I always thought that Miami was pretty tough too, so would it be worth paying 10k more to go to Xavier rather than to Miami??
    Coming from an area high school that sent a lot of students to both schools, the average Miami student had a better "profile" or however you want to phrase it than the average XU student.

It wasn't a huge difference but there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Coming from an area high school that sent a lot of students to both schools, the average Miami student had a better "profile" or however you want to phrase it than the average XU student.

It wasn't a huge difference but there was one.
    Okay, so I guess that means I should ask the next question, if Miami is a school that is pretty good as well, how can Xavier get around charging 10k extra? I'm not much of a business buff or anything, but it seems that if Miami is just as good of a school, if not better, wouldn't someone that got into both take that into consideration?

Okay, so I guess that means I should ask the next question, if Miami is a school that is pretty good as well, how can Xavier get around charging 10k extra? I'm not much of a business buff or anything, but it seems that if Miami is just as good of a school, if not better, wouldn't someone that got into both take that into consideration?
    Miami has a fabulous campus in a small little college town setting. Xavier’s campus has improved dramatically (OK, that word isn’t strong enough) since my days, plus they have a full city to enjoy. But I’m not the guy to answer this for you. Both great choices in my opinion.

Because Miami is public and offers in state tuition. Also, I know that from my high school, Xavier more or less knocked off 10k right off the bat.

Also, Miami is a better school. I know this isn't the place to say that but it is. And it may not be the better school for everyone, but in general it is.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Miami has a fabulous campus in a small little college town setting. Xavier’s campus has improved dramatically (OK, that word isn’t strong enough) since my days, plus they have a full city to enjoy. But I’m not the guy to answer this for you. Both great choices in my opinion.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    The income gap between college grads and those that aren't is massive. Over 1 MM in a lifetime. I know this doesn't cover all scenario's.......But a 100K education is still very much worth it to the masses.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/

My son never stepped foot on a college campus, but spent 6 years in the USAF learning to be an aircraft technician. He could have left and gone to work at the same base, but for a foreign government, and would have made 100K per year. Instead he decided to come home, go to work for a private personal jet maintenance company and start at 80K. Not only does he have no college debt, in another couple of years of service in the Air National Guard he will have enough points on the GI Bill that his SON’S college education will be paid for by the government.

My daughter made it though college by working at a bank and taking advantage of the tuition reimbursement program they had. She is a mid-level manager making 6 figures for a payroll and accounting firm. She has no college debt.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat.