Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Regarding the American alligator, read this from the Smithsonian:
    Once on the verge of extinction, the American alligator has made a remarkable recovery. Due to strict conservation measures and extensive research, it is no longer endangered except in scattered areas of its range. However, the American alligator is listed as threatened on the U.S. Endangered Species List because it is very similar in appearance to the American crocodile, which is endangered, and hunters are likely to confuse the two species. Hunting is allowed in some states, but it is heavily controlled. The greatest threat is currently destruction of habitat; this includes water management systems and increased levels of mercury and dioxins in the water.
    Because alligators will feed on almost anything, they pose a mild threat to humans. In Florida, where there is the greatest alligator population, there were five deaths to alligator attacks from 1973 to 1990. Dogs and other pets are also sometimes killed.

Florida actually does have an alligator management program.

As for why people seem more upset about the death of Harambe than the alligators,a lot has to do with how they are portrayed. I don't know the answer. The species we favor is not an easy thing for me to explain, but think about the fact that 110 million pigs are slaughtered in the US every year. Having you ever met a pig? They are some charming, intelligent motherfuckers. . It's just easier to anthropromorphize some animals than it is others. Much easier to feel sympathy for the hairy gorilla that evolved into us, than some slimy baby-killing alligator. Some people will eat chicken but would never eat duck, thanks to Donald Duck, AFLAC, and Make Way for Ducklings.They eat dogs in China, but there was more collective outrage over Harambe than you'll ever see over dogburgers.

We animal people, like any group, span the spectrum, from conservative to radical. My experience in advocating for animals has been rooted in a pragmatic approach. We must always approach animal laws and regulations, which govern the relationship between animals and humans, as being necessary to a responsible exercise of the privilege - and responsibility - of our God-given dominion over them.

We must always consider public safety, but, equally as important, the humane treatment of animals when we consider this relationship. That is sometimes a difficult balance. Ask me about pit bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    Having you ever met a pig? They are some charming, intelligent motherfuckers.
    This calls to mind one of the best times when I was actually working. Had a friend who ran a food service equipment company.
    Great guy, but he married a rather demanding woman (for lack of a better way to put it.)
    So he threw a big party for his reps from all over the country for their 25th anniversary.
    His wife wanted one of those Vietnamese pot bellied pigs. He didn't.
    So the reps went out and got a really small regular pig, presented it to her at the party, told her it was the pot bellied thing, and she fell in love with it.
    Took it home, treated it like a dog, run of the house, slept in their bedroom, etc.

Pretty soon the damn thing weighed in at about 250 lbs. He was VERY unhappy and thinking about bacon.
    Have no idea whatever happened to the pig.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Harambe the Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    They have killed at least five gators in the wake of this incident. In fact, EVERY gator found on Disney property is killed.
    Wildlife authorities probably thought killing them was more humane than dumping them in the middle of the Everglades to be consumed by the 20 foot pythons that are currently decimating the ecosystem down there. Recently read there have been multiple Nile saltwater crocs found in the Everglades too...that's scary.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    This is the first gator attack at the property since 1986, so I think it would have been hard to predict that the risk was "high" prior to Sunday. But they probably should have had a sign warning about gators. I mean, it's common sense, but you kind of suspend common sense when you're there. You could probably forgive someone for thinking that things there are so well controlled by Disney that they wouldn't even have gators in the water even thought that's impossible in that part of Florida.
    Every county in Florida has a decent alligator population. They're not even first in the country in terms of alligator population - Louisiana holds that distinction.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Wildlife authorities probably thought killing them was more humane than dumping them in the middle of the Everglades to be consumed by the 20 foot pythons that are currently decimating the ecosystem down there. Recently read there have been multiple Nile saltwater crocs found in the Everglades too...that's scary.
    It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of exotic animal species located in the Everglades - it's not good throwing crocs into an ecosystem that's not designed for them.