Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    So will we be going to an on-demand, product placement ad model to replace what exists now? I went ota and streaming 3 years ago and love it.I am all for everything being available to stream for a cost.
    There definitely will be product placement baked in. But the primary drivers will be subscription and PPV fees. Think of the product placement ad revenue as the sugar on top.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    There is a lot of research showing that the decline in sports attendance has corresponded to the growth (and affordability) of larger, higher definition televisions. I was just having a conversation with some friends about this last weekend. Every single one of us preferred watching NFL football at home than at the stadium.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...fl-since-2006/

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    There definitely will be product placement baked in. But the primary drivers will be subscription and PPV fees. Think of the product placement ad revenue as the sugar on top.
    My worry: people think this is the best way for the consumer but I am not so sure. Right now, streaming and "content-driven subscription" models have to maintain their competitiveness with a lower rate due to the ease and high number of people with the traditional cable set up that they need to compete with. Once everything goes to a subscription based model, what's to keep the popular ones (ESPN, FOX, HBO, CBS, NBC, etc.) from raising prices to the point that to watch more than a couple you will be paying as much as you did for full cable subscriptions? I guess you could say the competition in the market, but I have read some arguments that claim the subscription based model will actually be more expensive (less valuable?) for consumers because the full cable packages have to subsidize the less popular with the more popular, so you get more content for less money in the long run.

It will be interesting, and maybe people are alright with paying slightly less or almost as much for more targeted content, but I don't think this is the slam dunk everyone acts like it is. It also doesn't help that I have a wide array of interests so I am one of the few who take advantage of a full cable subscription.