Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're lucky

We're lucky

That loss hurt, but it hurts because we EXPECT more now. I have been going to games since 1982. For years, I would have given anything to win a game. Then X beat Missouri. Then, in 1990, X broke through to the Sweet 16 and we had to wait 14 years to get back. Since then, we've come to expect the Sweet 16 and want more AND we're in a conference with teams that are also capable (see Villanova). The loss hurts, but I would rather have it hurt than go back to a time when I was happy X won a game.

My, how things have changed for the better. Can't imagine the pain of the 60's and 70's. My hats off to those who lived through that and remained committed fans.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    That loss hurt, but it hurts because we EXPECT more now. I have been going to games since 1982. For years, I would have given anything to win a game. Then X beat Missouri. Then, in 1990, X broke through to the Sweet 16 and we had to wait 14 years to get back. Since then, we've come to expect the Sweet 16 and want more AND we're in a conference with teams that are also capable (see Villanova). The loss hurts, but I would rather have it hurt than go back to a time when I was happy X won a game.

My, how things have changed for the better. Can't imagine the pain of the 60's and 70's. My hats off to those who lived through that and remained committed fans.
    That's why all of us old Lew Hirt Society guys are so freaking crazy. We have seen the depths of basketball hell, and, while we're not there all the way yet, the road is open for us. The dark, dank days in the SchmidtHouse are long gone. The sun shines bright ahead.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

We old fogies have received a boatload of hats for that reason. Those decades were very painful for the 1,000 or so faithful XU fans of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    We old fogies have received a boatload of hats for that reason. Those decades were very painful for the 1,000 or so faithful XU fans of that era.
    Thank God for all of you. My stepfather was one of those guys. That's why he introduced me to X basketball when he became part of my family. Sometimes, divorce is a good thing. Can't imagine my life without Xavier basketball.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

I'm spoiled. Started following the team halfway through the 03-04 season when I was 12 and my cousin had decided to go to X. I've seen us in the tourney 11 of the 13 seasons I've followed the team, including 6 second weekend tournament appearances. I have a strong appreciation for the fans who endured the difficult years and helped build this program into the program it is today. It is now in place for my generation and younger generations to expect the tournament every year which is very special. I cannot wait for the day we finally bust down the door and make that first final four.

Back then the only tourney we could even dream about was the NIT. A berth in the NCAA tourney was pretty much out of the question as an independent that couldn't beat anybody. This is probably why so many of the "old guard" don't go all ape s*** when the team loses a game or fails to meet high expectations. We realize that it's not the end of the world and the sun will come up the next day. I used to let loses ruin my day/week, but not anymore. I've come to realize that even if the team never makes a final 4, we've still had a pretty darn good run. A final 4 is now just a cherry on top.....but man or man would I like to taste that cherry sometime! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    That's why all of us old Lew Hirt Society guys are so freaking crazy. We have seen the depths of basketball hell, and, while we're not there all the way yet, the road is open for us. The dark, dank days in the SchmidtHouse are long gone. The sun shines bright ahead.
    Well, that may be on the list of reasons....

I was there when things began to turn, though we didn't recognize it at the time. We spent more time partying with certain team members than watching them on the court - and we watched A LOT. This year was definitely disappointing, but only because we were poised for so much more. If I'm shocked we DIDN'T get into the Sweet 16, we are still headed in the right direction.

Sophomore

I lived through that era. 1967 graduate. While I kept track of X upon graduating, I spent 1967-1972 on the East Coast (with one year in Northern Indiana) before moving back to Indianapolis. Admittedly I got caught up in the Bob Knight era at Indiana but always with an eye toward X. Then in 1983 I picked up a couple of season tickets and have had two or one (currently one) season tickets ever since. It has been a great ride and it is still going strong. I don't think we have hit the peak yet and I hope to have many years more as a fan and season ticket holder.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    I'm spoiled. Started following the team halfway through the 03-04 season when I was 12 and my cousin had decided to go to X. I've seen us in the tourney 11 of the 13 seasons I've followed the team, including 6 second weekend tournament appearances. I have a strong appreciation for the fans who endured the difficult years and helped build this program into the program it is today. It is now in place for my generation and younger generations to expect the tournament every year which is very special. I cannot wait for the day we finally bust down the door and make that first final four.
    Haha I'm just as spoiled as you are, didn't know much about Xavier basketball until I started looking into Academics, and then looked on Scout and saw 2 4star guys committed (Dee & Dez), and I was like huh, they must be okay, went through did some research, and was like, what the actual hell was I missing the last 5-6 years (I probably started watching basketball when I was 12-13 religiously), and now I'm so glad I'm embedded in Xavier basketball. The thing is sports unify people, I love this board, may not have met anyone, but people are a tight knit group, that share a common passion. It's a place to share common interests, laugh, and discuss one thing that lets us forget about what's going on in our lives for a couple hours. That's the beauty of sports. I'm ready for us to bust this damn thing wide open and reach that Final Four as well.

I grew up rooting for Mizzou and SLU, and I hated KU like any self-respecting U.S. citizen. Because of this, I had a Big 12 bias and, like Gimmfd, was not too aware of Xavier. I vaguely recognized them as a frequent tournament team, but really, I chose Xavier because I liked the environment of a small Jesuit school and I really liked the specific program that drew me to the school in the first place. After the fact, discovering that the basketball program was really good? Well, that was just a nice surprise bonus.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk