Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Blood

Question New Blood

I don't know... trying to be more positive and think about something else.

Out of the new arrivals, who are you looking forward to seeing most next year?

RaShid Gaston
    6'9" 240# Gaston averaged 15.5 and 9.6 in the '14-'15 season for Norfolk State. Say what you want about the level of competition, but it isn't easy to average a double-double (I round up). Someone else mentioned in another thread that rebounding also seems to be one of those things that translates pretty well between levels of play. I tend to agree, and while you can't replace a guy like James Farr when it comes to rebounding, I think Gaston is going to be a huge help here. We get him for one year--hope he makes the most of it!

I couldn't find a Gaston-specific highlight tape... I watched a few of NSU's highlights that they posted a couple years ago... nothing to write home about necessarily. He is #35--this one starts with a layup from him. I think this one also includes a dunk and midrange from him as well, but to be honest, I can't really remember if I am just mixing videos up, and I'm not going to watch NSU highlight videos anymore. One thing you can see a little bit in this one and a couple of the other videos, is that he definitely seems to fight for position on the offensive boards.

Can't embed four videos in one post, so I'll just include the links: Click here for video.

Quentin Goodin
    6’3” 190# 4* Well, Sumner is seriously a freak and unless things go terribly wrong, I think he has to be gone after next year. Some think that Goodin will jump LAJr immediately in the depth chart, but who knows? PG is a difficult position for freshman (although Ed handled it with aplomb generally, there were definitely moments of… concern). He is another high-flyer, seems to have a good handle and has confidence in his jump shot. His HS numbers are insane 23.1 points, 7.9 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.9 steals, although the competition is not the greatest.

Check the coast-to-coast at 1:16… the speed burst and dunk at 1:29. Click here for video.

Tyrique Jones
    6’7” 220# 4* Played in the same prep school league as Brewster (Jalen and Semaj). Maybe a little undersized? Seems like a beast, though—definitely plays above the rim. A couple different sources indicated he has good footwork, and everyone seems to agree on his rebounding abilities. Jones needs to work on his shot, but thankfully X has not been lacking in shooters as of late.

Jones goes hard… I’ll take pedantic issue with the video title, since the video does--in fact--show him doing other things than just dunking, but DAMN! Click here for video.

Eddie Ekiyor
    6’8” 215# 4* Ekiyor enrolled at X this past year and redshirted. Had some serious offers including Providence and Nova from the Beast, and Miami (FL), Oregon, Vandy, among others. Looks athletic and like he has some decent moves down low, but Ekiyor is probably the one I have heard least about… other than the offseason issue last year where he hit the bicyclist in his car… saw he just entered a guilty plea earlier this month—didn’t see anything on penalty. He seems contrite, and if Mack gave him the OK, so do I.

Click here for video.

So what do you guys think?

To answer my own question, I think Gaston will be most important next year, but I am most excited to see Goodin. I love the length that X has had at the PG position as of late, and I am glad we can continue that with a new 6'3" PG coming into the fold. Hope he lives up to the hype!

I know we were all crushed after the loss, but as Mack said. The sun always comes up tomorrow. The program is in great shape, folks.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by X-ceptional View Post
    To answer my own question, I think Gaston will be most important next year, but I am most excited to see Goodin. I love the length that X has had at the PG position as of late, and I am glad we can continue that with a new 6'3" PG coming into the fold. Hope he lives up to the hype!
    Agree 100% on this. Although, I gotta say that the mixtape of Tyrique was intriguing.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Just my opinion but I think Goodin will play the 2 and be a slasher to the basket, which is what xavier missed this year. He is big and strong for a guard. I can see him spelling Myles more than Edmond next year and then maybe be a point when Ed leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Just my opinion but I think Goodin will play the 2 and be a slasher to the basket, which is what xavier missed this year. He is big and strong for a guard. I can see him spelling Myles more than Edmond next year and then maybe be a point when Ed leaves.
    This is very possible.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

If LAJ has another offseason of improvement, I could also see him pushing Sumner or Goodin to the 2 to provide a strong defensive presence in the backcourt (plus Sumner is more of a combo guard than anything and Goodin might be too).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Larry is a steady athletic player, but until he can make some shots from the three, I just don't see him getting much PT. In 334 minutes played this year, Larry attempted one three. With Goodin coming in, I can see him getting even less PT.

New Blood

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Larry is a steady athletic player, but until he can make some shots from the three, I just don't see him getting much PT. In 334 minutes played this year, Larry attempted one three. With Goodin coming in, I can see him getting even less PT.
    I think that will limit his playing time, but not necessarily cut it out entirely.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Remy has minutes opening up, so I think LAJ can still get some time. It is going to be really competitive. Sumner redshirted a year, so he wasn't a true Freshman as he was practicing with the team. Don't know if Goodin will hit the ground running of if he could benefit from a redshirt year as well. We are going to have a full load of players for sure.

I heard some positive stuff both about Gaston and Ekiyor in the STL. It was from a fan in a bar that claims to know about such things, and you know those sources are always very reliable.

This program is in fantastic shape. I can see us being preseason Top 10. I want them to keep that unselfishness that made this year so special and take it to the next level. It was a fun team to watch, and I imagine next year will be fantastic.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick