Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

ANYONE but Wisconsin!!!

So many spewing thoughts...

I would have rather played ANYONE but them. Seven seeds don't have high caliber wins against Michigan State, Maryland, Iowa, and Indiana on their profile. #7 seeds don't finish the year 11-1 in a power conference (going into the conference tournament). they got a #7 seed because of what they were in November and December, not because of how good they actually are now. I had Wiscy in my Final Four. Truth be told, I thought they'd beat us by more. When the brackets were announced, I was not happy. I actually didn't post much because I didn't want to go on those trademark rants about how I wish we weren't playing Wisconsin.

Had we lost to Nova, we drop to a 3 seed and play someone else. Pretty sure we should have been a 3 seed as it was. the committee really screwed us by giving us a 2.

Had Western Illinois not beaten Wiscy on the first night of the year, chances are they're not a #7 seed. I think Xavier should schedule Western Illinois, in a buy game, fill their locker room with dogshit, and then lock them in. Doing so would probably result in X having to forfeit and pay them more money. I'm actually okay with that right about now.

Had Pitt beaten Wisconsin, we win this one and probably the next one.

We had two late possessions where we came up empty. We score on one of them at the end we probably win. We got called for a phantom charge. which WAS a phantom charge. Had they not called it, chances are we hit the layup and go ahead by two. The problem is that Wisconsin still gets the ball with the same amount of time, and probably draws up and executes the exact same play, and ends up winning by 1 instead of by 3.

Xavier never applied full court pressure. I have no idea why. Wiscy didn't see much of it and from what I watched, wasn't particularly good against it when they did see it.

Northern Iowa had an epic meltdown. We had it on TV, but I completely missed it. I'm sure it was even worse and that they're feeling even worse. But, they'll be good again next year.

Xavier has had their share of good luck Twice they advanced to the Sweet Sixteen after benefiting from upsets in the Round of 64. They've beaten both a 15 and a 14 seed in the second round. This offset all of the good luck. I don't think they could have had worse luck on how the brackets played out. Again......ANYONE but Wisconsin!!!

When top ten teams play well for most of the game, they typically win. Xavier played well for most of the game, and probably would have won had they been playing virtually anyone else that wasn't a protected seed, and maybe some teams that were protected seeds. This is the best team Xavier has ever had, but it won't be remembered that way because of the early tournament loss. Not to repeat myself, but ironically, had they lost a few more games during the regular season, they probably get out of this round and perhaps even the next round.

Notre Dame scared me a lot less than Wisconsin. Had X won this one, I'm almost certain they win the next one.

I'm repeating myself. There is a reason for that. I don't really drink anymore. Last year after doing something entirely moronic (a multitude of things actually) I assessed that virtually every moronic thing I had done had involved drinking shitloads of alcohol. So, I quit in order to avoid feeling like a moron so much of the time. But, the exceptions were vacations, and the NCAAs if I were able to. I've been drinking. It was great seeing friends from X again. It sucks that we didn't win. It sucks to know that I won't be watching us play next week in the Elite Eight, which I'm certain we would have been playing in had we won tonight.

And Fuck Wisconsin.

Cincinnati sports teams are having their seasons ended in the most spectacular of fashions this 2016. First the Bengals lose to the Steelers in a way that I've never seen or heard of before. Then UC loses in a way I've never seen or heard of before. Then X loses to a team that they shouldn't have had to play on a buzzer beater. I'd like to think that life will eventually get more fair. Maybe. Probably. Some day.
    Last edited by xubrew; 03-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Give me a break. We have more talent across the board than that Wisconsin team. That Wisconsin team is average at best. High profile wins against MSU who lost to 15 seed Middle Tennesse St? High profile win against Iowa who Nova crushed by 20, but was up over 30 at one point? Ok.

Should've beaten them going away, up 8 with 5 minutes to play. I usually like your takes, but this one was weak.

I get what you're saying, Brew, and I agree with some of it. However, the fact is every seed except for 16 won a game the first round. No matter where you're put, there is danger. Would you have still felt good if we fell to a 3 seed and had to play SFA? Would Ed have handled THAT on-the-ball pressure better than Wisky's?

The survive and advance tournament is a TERRIBLE way to determine the best team, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I believe we would have beaten Wisconsin in a series, but we only had one shot. Shit, if it wasn't Wisconsin in Round 2, it could have been Middle Tennessee in Round 1. This sucks.

Their fans were annoying. Uniformly obese, and all with that annoying accent.

Quote Originally Posted by X-ceptional View Post
    I get what you're saying, Brew, and I agree with some of it. However, the fact is every seed except for 16 won a game the first round. No matter where you're put, there is danger. Would you have still felt good if we fell to a 3 seed and had to play SFA? Would Ed have handled THAT on-the-ball pressure better than Wisky's?

The survive and advance tournament is a TERRIBLE way to determine the best team, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I believe we would have beaten Wisconsin in a series, but we only had one shot. Shit, if it wasn't Wisconsin in Round 2, it could have been Middle Tennessee in Round 1. This sucks.
    I'd have felt fine playing SFA before the game, but perhaps not after it. They didn't look good during the season. They got blasted by every decent team they played, which wasn't many, beat the four div2 teams they played, and then beat everyone in the Southland which is basically like beating div2 teams. I don't know where this came from in regards to SFA. I guess they got good in Southland play.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Give me a break. We have more talent across the board than that Wisconsin team. That Wisconsin team is average at best. High profile wins against MSU who lost to 15 seed Middle Tennesse St? High profile win against Iowa who Nova crushed by 20, but was up over 30 at one point? Ok.

Should've beaten them going away, up 8 with 5 minutes to play. I usually like your takes, but this one was weak.
    Well, I guess I just can't win. I said before the game I was worried. We lost. And on top of losing, my take on how I was worried about losing was weak. I guess some days really just aren't your day.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I guess some days really just aren't your day.
    Eh, no one here is having a good day, and games like that aren't generally foundations upon which a lot of agreement is built. Like I said, I get where you're coming from, but wishing we could have played anyone else is just kind of like salt in the wound--the possibilities are endless, and thinking about how X might have fared against different competition stings. Whatever, I can't sleep anyway after that loss, so I don't mind the extra conversation.

It's going to take a lot of time for me to get over this one. I love this team. The chemistry, the personalities, & and just flat out fun to watch. I'm going to miss Remy & especially Farr. Was at the game and I knew that ball was going in right after he shot it ... So my question is.

Why didn't we foul when we were up 3? I thought we have learned this. I'll take the foul shots and the ball back anyday. Given the shot was contested and it was deep but damn. Remy & Myles switched and right then I knew Koenig was firing right over Myles. The charging call is a joke. Not going to blame the game on the refs but they were bad both ways all game. Just venting.. Idk what to do. I can't sleep. This game is the only thing I can think about.

There's a few of us still logged on at this ungodly hour, probably replaying the entire game in our heads.

I would've guarded Koenig so close when we were up three that he would've had to pass it or drive for a 2 pointer. At worst they make a 2 and we're still up 1 or we foul and send them to line.

Why am I still thinking about this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie34 View Post
    It's going to take a lot of time for me to get over this one. I love this team. The chemistry, the personalities, & and just flat out fun to watch. I'm going to miss Remy & especially Farr. Was at the game and I knew that ball was going in right after he shot it ... So my question is.

Why didn't we foul when we were up 3? I thought we have learned this. I'll take the foul shots and the ball back anyday. Given the shot was contested and it was deep but damn. Remy & Myles switched and right then I knew Koenig was firing right over Myles. The charging call is a joke. Not going to blame the game on the refs but they were bad both ways all game. Just venting.. Idk what to do. I can't sleep. This game is the only thing I can think about.
    I wanted to think the same thing about fouling when we were up 3. But, with 11 seconds left, that's too much time. We foul, Koenig makes one or both and it's a 1 or 2 point game with us shooting free throws. Those free throws would not have been a given. With 11 seconds left, worst case SHOULD BE them making a 3, you missing the last shot and going to overtime. The odds of losing in regulation would have been a lot higher if we foul with 11 seconds left.

This sucks. Just flat out sucks. We couldn't have really fouled with 11 seconds left and that charge call looked like a charge in real time. Or at least what has been called a charge in CBB this year.