ESPN 30 for 30: Fantastic Lies (Duke Lacrosse)

If you haven't seen it, check it out on youtube. It is especially relevant in light of the current PC Bro culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffcFNQa1vvM
    Last edited by More Cowbell; 03-15-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    - Bob Sacamano

Looks interesting. Will have to check it out.
    Zip'em Up!

I thought it was very well done. Watched most all of it after The Walking Dead.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

One of the things that's mentioned when you tyr to start new lacrosse programs is that they don't want situations like at Duke and Virginia (the murder a few years back). They believe that the culture of lacrosse is heavily associated with preppy spoiled kids who make terrible life decisions.

I'm thrilled to death that this was made. The wife and I watched it last night and it was very well done.

One thing I like is how they portrayed the young woman who accused them. They did a great job of not demonizing a young woman who was mentally unstable and manipulated by police and the district attorney. I highly suggest everyone watched that.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanxman04 View Post
    One of the things that's mentioned when you tyr to start new lacrosse programs is that they don't want situations like at Duke and Virginia (the murder a few years back). They believe that the culture of lacrosse is heavily associated with preppy spoiled kids who make terrible life decisions.

I'm thrilled to death that this was made. The wife and I watched it last night and it was very well done.

One thing I like is how they portrayed the young woman who accused them. They did a great job of not demonizing a young woman who was mentally unstable and manipulated by police and the district attorney. I highly suggest everyone watched that.
    She should be demonized to an extent because she was involved and made choices but yes they did focus on the people who were most at fault, specifically Nifong and the detective.

The part at the end when the showed that she's serving a sentence for murdering her boyfriend did make me laugh.

I'm looking forward to watching it also.

My issue is that they have been advertising and teasing it during Sportscenter and regular AM hours. Nothing like looking into the family room and seeing your 3 kids under the age of 10 watching a 3 minute tease on gang rape.
    Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise!

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Another lasting legacy about the student-athletes is that they have also started a fund to help other low-income people defend themselves in court; I think they also said that they were able to overturn and look into a few other convictions under Nifong that shouldn't have occurred. They certainly don't have the mentality of "we dodged a scud; on to the next party."

It's also interesting that this document came out not just on the 10th anniversary of this ordeal, but also at a time when Yale's ex-captain withdrew from school and was allegedly expelled for a sexual incident on campus. The rush to judgment against Montague hasn't occurred like it has for the ex-lacrosse players at Duke (at least not yet, depending on the outcome of that case).

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Another lasting legacy about the student-athletes is that they have also started a fund to help other low-income people defend themselves in court; I think they also said that they were able to overturn and look into a few other convictions under Nifong that shouldn't have occurred. They certainly don't have the mentality of "we dodged a scud; on to the next party."

It's also interesting that this document came out not just on the 10th anniversary of this ordeal, but also at a time when Yale's ex-captain withdrew from school and was allegedly expelled for a sexual incident on campus. The rush to judgment against Montague hasn't occurred like it has for the ex-lacrosse players at Duke (at least not yet, depending on the outcome of that case).
    Good point mentioning Yale, but Montague is probably still going to get paid. Here is Montague's statement:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/im....statement.pdf
    - Bob Sacamano

[QUOTE=Titanxman04;547492

One thing I like is how they portrayed the young woman who accused them. They did a great job of not demonizing a young woman who was mentally unstable and manipulated by police[/QUOTE]

Pathetic that you like that. She ruined young college kids' lives. Because she is a liar. She should be crucified for the bullshit she started...

If they were to make a movie on Dez Wells, I'm sure you'd be thrilled with the woman accuser not being "demonized." Please...

Quote Originally Posted by maketewahXalum View Post
    Pathetic that you like that. She ruined young college kids' lives. Because she is a liar. She should be crucified for the bullshit she started...

If they were to make a movie on Dez Wells, I'm sure you'd be thrilled with the woman accuser not being "demonized." Please...
    1. Don't make assumptions about someone that you don't know. It proves you to look the fool and we all know what happens when one assumes... And son, you're assuming.

To clarify (lets see if you actually read this and have a productive conversation): My family has a history going back several generations of trying to promote the awareness of those who have behavioral health issues and to prevent others of taking advantage of them. From starting national boards to promote suicide awareness and work towards the prevention of that terrible action, to working hard to put in place homes and organizations that can help care for those who otherwise wouldn't receive such help.

It is a crime when people take advantage of others due to their mental capacity. The Duke lacrosse case was a case in which two detectives, as explained in the documentary, took advantage of a young woman. Did she cry rape? Yes. Is she guiltless? Absolutely not. I didn't give her a free pass in my statement. I didn't say she was innocent or should get off the hook for crying foul when nothing happened. I said that they didn't vilify her and her alone for her actions. They did a great job explaining her possible motives for doing what she did... IF you watched it, you knew she had children and that going to the hospital after providing services as an exotic dancer would cause problems with children's services. Again...she's not innocent. But as a parent trying to provide for her child, with limited mental capacity, she was doing something that made sense to her to protect her and her family. I don't condone it, but the directors of the film explained it and humanized her at least. All I said was that I appreciated that.

2. I have to deal with this Duke lacrosse story even this past year when trying to start high school programs in the area. An athletic director at a local high school, when meeting with him, used this story as one of the reasons why he didn't want lacrosse at his school. He didn't care for the culture. I already knew that she lied and she was in prison for stabbing a man. I knew she changed her story several times (at the urging of the detectives to solidify their prosecution). I had to explain that to the athletic director and explain to him that one instance of false accusations at a university on the East Coast would not dictate the kind of culture we would have at the high school I would coach at.

Similar conversations crop up concerning the murder at the University of Virginia where the male lacrosse player killed one of the female lacrosse players. Or the Virginia player who committed suicide the year before.

I'm absolutely positive we all have had that kind of situation when we mention our affiliations to Xavier people bring up the brawl with UC. Still happens. My players found out my love for X and two started talking about it instantly.

A small sample size does NOT determine what our school stands for...or in the case of lacrosse, the prior incidents do not define the sport. My comment that they didn't completed demonized the woman does not mean that any false accuser is free of guilt or shouldn't be ashamed. Nor, your ignorant, baseless, and rather senseless post towards me, doesn't mean that we wouldn't cheer next to each other if X makes the Final Four. That said, don't act like you know me and assume that I would support Dez's accuser. I don't know exactly what happened (didn't really care to read the 9000 posts about it) in that specific case and I don't really care to know. Nether do you or anyone else. We may have a good idea, but unless you were there...you don't. I don't care to make assumptions (see how this is full circle?) on something I know little about. Maybe you shouldn't either.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)