Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    The one thing that Father Graham WOULD love to have, however, is not a law or medical school. He told me directly that he would love to have an ENGINEERING School.
    I have heard this too. The problem is that engineering schools are outrageously expensive to operate. And we don't have any existing infrastructure for it.

Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I agreed with most of your post. Except for this. ND may be considered THE Catholic institution in the US for athletics, but academically that distinction is, always has been, and almost certainly will remain Georgetown's.
    Sorry, I was more thinking in terms of perception. That perception makes Xavier's recruiting job harder, being relatively nearby.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XUFan09; 04-04-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Firstly and most importantly, best of luck to you at VCU.

Otherwise, you are spot on about the large research universities. As is the case with any school, anywhere, it's what the individual student puts into their education that determines how effective it is in the long run, but there is no doubt that some number of classes are going to be taken with about 700 of your closest friends in a large lecture hall through some kind of PowerPoint delivered by (hopefully) a knowledgeable and interesting GA.
    Thanks!

I will admit that it's not all bad for undergrads at research institutions. You might get to take a class with a professor that's renown in his/her field (though this can happen to a lesser extent at places like Xavier too), and good undergraduate research opportunities are more common.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Firstly and most importantly, best of luck to you at VCU.
    Agree...although VCU should NEVER be in the Big East, 09!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Well, we have Bill Murry going for us......which is nice.

Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Agree...although VCU should NEVER be in the Big East, 09!
    Ha, I agree, but I give respect to a top 50 program. They wouldn't be the worst addition, but the best addition would be...no one.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Thanks!

I will admit that it's not all bad for undergrads at research institutions. You might get to take a class with a professor that's renown in his/her field (though this can happen to a lesser extent at places like Xavier too), and good undergraduate research opportunities are more common.

The thing is, it requires a lot of funding, and space to build. As said before, we'll never have a medical school, why? We simply don't have the space or resources or a hospital affiliation like UC does in order to get an actual good school rolling, we have the best Pre-Med undergrads in the country (X puts 80% of people that apply to medical school in, while the national average is like 43% or something) Engineering school is very expensive as well, not sure where we could fit that on campus, and even though with the addition of an engineering school we would likely increase students by an outrageous percent, I don't see how we can expand past the undergraduate centered school we are.

Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    The thing is, it requires a lot of funding, and space to build. As said before, we'll never have a medical school, why? We simply don't have the space or resources or a hospital affiliation like UC does in order to get an actual good school rolling, we have the best Pre-Med undergrads in the country (X puts 80% of people that apply to medical school in, while the national average is like 43% or something) Engineering school is very expensive as well, not sure where we could fit that on campus, and even though with the addition of an engineering school we would likely increase students by an outrageous percent, I don't see how we can expand past the undergraduate centered school we are.
    To clarify on the med school acceptance rate, the pre-med program controls the process so only those likely to be accepted will apply. They simply will deny a program letter of recommendation to those they deem unlikely to get accepted, even if the students in question would have had a minor chance (so we're not just talking crappy students). At that point, there is no point in trying to apply or even in taking the MCAT (if a person was warned early enough), as that minor chance of acceptance severely diminishes without the program stamp of approval. This method of exclusion is probably on average for the best, giving students a reality check before they expend money and effort on studying for the MCAT and applying to med schools, but it does serve to inflate the acceptance rate some and some who just wanted the chance at the least are pushed out.

It's a really good program, but that acceptance rate needs to be taken with a grain of salt.