Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Paul Daugherty excels again!

The Doc always seems to find a way to paint a picture of his subjects just a little better than anyone else could have done the job. He is the Da Vinci to my stick figures.

His description of our own J.P. Macura in today's Cincinnati Enquirer is a masterpiece. Daugherty nails JP from every angle: our love for him and his antics; JP's own self-evaluation; and how he affects opposing players, coaches, and their fans. Enjoy!
    http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...skin/79931880/

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    The Doc always seems to find a way to paint a picture of his subjects just a little better than anyone else could have done the job. He is the Da Vinci to my stick figures.

His description of our own J.P. Macura in today's Cincinnati Enquirer is a masterpiece. Daugherty nails JP from every angle: our love for him and his antics; JP's own self-evaluation; and how he affects opposing players, coaches, and their fans. Enjoy!
    http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...skin/79931880/
    I don't always agree with PDocs point-of-view on things, particularly on the off occasion he chooses to have something to say about the Musketeers. It is amazing what it takes for him to actually do so. I do appreciate his writing style, regardless of the subject-matter. It's not for everyone.

Over-all, seemed to be a fairly accurate portrayal of JP. Unfortunately, that means he really didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I suppose, though, he is writing for many who don't know about Xavier, which is a pity as well. Maybe this is the year we finally turn this city on its head.

As Mack noted, Macura has “got some extracurriculars we’ve got to get rid of.’
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

The thread title has me confused. When was the other time Daugherty excelled? Doc is a cheap writer. He does not write to tell a story, but to get a reaction. He even admits to it in his mini bio/tag line. '"I provoke honestly..." I don't know what dishonest provoking would look like, but when a writer's stated goal is to provoke, I skip over that crap.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    The thread title has me confused. When was the other time Daugherty excelled? Doc is a cheap writer. He does not write to tell a story, but to get a reaction. He even admits to it in his mini bio/tag line. '"I provoke honestly..." I don't know what dishonest provoking would look like, but when a writer's stated goal is to provoke, I skip over that crap.
    Each to his own, Kahns. The vast majority of people who read Doc's columns on a regular basis appreciate his takes on things. If his columns about his family life don't have a positive effect on the reader, then that reader simply has no heart. He's also done excellent articles about local, nationally prominent, sports figures without sugar-coating them. And he has survived those forays into truth despite Cincinnati's die-hard (we love you no matter what) stances on their favorites (e.g. Pete Rose). When locals deserve an in-depth column, he writes it. When they don't (like the dearth of Doc-written recent UC laudatory columns) he doesn't. It's not like Doc is a slammer of all things Xavier and a cheerleader of all things UC (like Lance). Doc calls 'em as he sees 'em and I respect that.

But I seemingly like chocolate and you prefer vanilla. And that's what makes the world go 'round!
    Last edited by muskienick; 02-07-2016 at 07:52 PM.

I think Paul D sucks, and this article was no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    And another "vanilla guy" has his say.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I don't always agree with PDocs point-of-view on things, particularly on the off occasion he chooses to have something to say about the Musketeers. It is amazing what it takes for him to actually do so. I do appreciate his writing style, regardless of the subject-matter. It's not for everyone.

Over-all, seemed to be a fairly accurate portrayal of JP. Unfortunately, that means he really didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. I suppose, though, he is writing for many who don't know about Xavier, which is a pity as well. Maybe this is the year we finally turn this city on its head.

As Mack noted, Macura has “got some extracurriculars we’ve got to get rid of.’
    I doubt that Doc was writing solely for the XU fan. He painted an accurate picture of JP, both his many assets and his one or two warts, to school the casual reader of the Enquirer Sports pages. Doc's and Shannon's columns dominated the local college coverage in the very popular Sunday edition of the Enquirer. Doc's article was started on the front page and drew the reader to the same page on which Shannon's article appeared.

Would you have preferred an article on Troy Copain or Gary Clark? Doc wrote great stuff about a Xavier player and included quotes by Chris Mack that showed him to be an understanding and realistic coach (unlike the guy across town). It's really difficult to understand some of you guys who buy into those who complain that the local paper doesn't give Xavier Basketball enough positive coverage and then, when we get it, complain about the author, even when he does a decent job in taking about the Muskies!

Go freaking figure!!!

I just think P Doc is a shit writer. And I couldn't be less concerned about the Enquirer giving Xavier more or less attention.

Daugherty can be very good when a topic truly moves him. But the fact that he has to write so many article makes most of them mediocre. I know it's a tough job, but he just seems to go through the motions a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Absolutely on these. Paul D is a hack. Pure and simple.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell