Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luke Murray

Luke Murray

I am believing, after seeing the interaction of this Coaching Staff up close, that Luke Murray is more than just a pretty face, or movie star's son.

Luke is not sitting down the bench with a clipboard with no input. He's in the second chair next to Travis Steele and giving huge input. I've noticed, espcially yesterday, that CMack was seeking out his opinions and listening to what he had to say. After seeing that, I now believe that he was spcifically brought in here for a reason....that he is future Head Coaching material and an upgrade over Rick Carter. I'm not sure that Carter was ever trusted by CMack- as the "Defensive Coordinator"- and, I'm not saying that Rick was "forced out" but he may have felt that he might be better off elsewhere.

Bottom line is that I have said for many years that the success on the sidelines isn't just the Head Man. Quality Assistants are valuable and I think that for the first time Chris Mack has a Staff that reflects his philosophies and shows chemistry. This staff seems to like each other as mipuch as the players like each other and that is no accident- and also a major contributing factor to this 19-2 start.

Not sure how long Luke will be here, but I'm glad he is.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Luke Murray

I agree that Luke was a great hire. But don't read too much into the seating arrangements. My understanding is that Travis sits on one side and the assistant coach who scouted the opponent sits on the other. I believe Travis sometimes draws a scouting assignment. Not sure how they figure things out then.

PS: Rick left because he got a promotion to be associate head coach, closer to home, for more money. And he knew he wasn't ever going to leapfrog Travis at Xavier, who seems somewhat content to wait for his shot at the XU job. Like every assistant coach, Rick ultimately wants to be HC someday, and he saw DePaul as a better short-term option in that regard. My understanding is that Mack was genuinely disappointed to lose him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Muskie; 01-31-2016 at 03:55 PM.

I was watching the same thing yesterday with Mack and Murray. I don't know a thing about Carter's bench coaching abilities, but it already seems like Murray is a better recruiter.

Luke Murray

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I was watching the same thing yesterday with Mack and Murray. I don't know a thing about Carter's bench coaching abilities, but it already seems like Murray is a better recruiter.
    Rick Carter helped get us Matt Stainbrook and J.P. Macura. He's also the one who was recruiting Tyrique Jones, a recruitment that Murray finished up but still, the relationship was already there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Rick Carter helped get us Matt Stainbrook and J.P. Macura. He's also the one who was recruiting Tyrique Jones, a recruitment that Murray finished up but still, the relationship was already there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I agree with you on Macura. I never heard that about Stainbrook, although that makes sense since Carter was an assistant at WMU. But I think Stainbrook chose X over Wright State and Bradley. And Carter may have started the relationship with Jones, but Murray is the guy who closed the deal and landed the recruit (along with Mack).

My impression of Carter is that he just wasn't that great of a recruiter, and that Murray is a better recruiter. Having said that, Carter was only at X for 2 years, so we have a very limited sample size.

Are Ekiyor and Jones both Murray recruits?
    Last edited by XU 87; 01-31-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Nice post MOR. I notice Luke Murray on the bench being engaging and active all the time. I trust CMack whatever he does. He has shown he can hire great coaches, and run one hell of a basketball program.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I agree that Luke was a great hire. But don't read too much into the seating arrangements. My understanding is that Travis sits on one side and the assistant coach who scouted the opponent sits on the other. I believe Travis sometimes draws a scouting assignment. Not sure how they figure things out then.

PS: Rick left because he got a promotion to be associate head coach, closer to home, for more money. And he knew he wasn't ever going to leapfrog Travis at Xavier, who seems somewhat content to wait for his shot at the XU job. Like every assistant coach, Rick ultimately wants to be HC someday, and he saw DePaul as a better short-term option in that regard. My understanding is that Mack was genuinely disappointed to lose him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember last year there was a snippet of tape on one of the game broadcasts where CMack was talking during a game to the coaching staff. It may have actually been at halftime, but I can't recall for sure. Rick Carter made a suggestion on the defense and CMack totally blew him off and ignored his comment. It was like there was no respect for what Carter had to say. It was a short, but telling moment to me.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I remember last year there was a snippet of tape on one of the game broadcasts where CMack was talking during a game to the coaching staff. It may have actually been at halftime, but I can't recall for sure. Rick Carter made a suggestion on the defense and CMack totally blew him off and ignored his comment. It was like there was no respect for what Carter had to say. It was a short, but telling moment to me.
    I don't recall the specifics, but I do remember the event. Mack was criticized by many as they were having defensive struggles. (Did Carter want to pick guys up higher in the court to slow down a hot offense?)

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I didn't recall that earlier, but I do vaguely remember that now. I'm sure there are strategic disagreements among the staff all the time. If there aren't, then that's probably a bad thing.

Travis Steele is great ... but if he wants to be a head coach, he deserves the chance. One of the benefits of this team having a great year, is that Travis should have a better choice of jobs. If Luke can be groomed to be a future associate head coach ...

Also, I'd say our big man coach, Mike Peagues, probably deserves a lot of behind the scenes credit as we've all commented positive things with the players with footwork and rebounding etc etc.

It takes a whole staff ... even beyond the coaches, to make this all work.