Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sumner

Sumner

Quote Originally Posted by nasdadjr View Post
    On a phone punctuation takes too long on one lol
    No, it doesn't. See, now I am using all sorts: commas, periods, colons. I might even throw in a semicolon; they can prove useful. ;)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Not when ur at work trying to get a post out on a short ass break

When discussing the "freshman wall," I believe practice is really what grinds on the young guys.

They are playing fewer games than HS/AAU. Granted, the college games are at a higher level. But it has to be considered that Ed is playing against Remy, Larry, and Myles everyday, two of which are plus defenders, the third of which has the instincts, while attacking against an elite front line.

I believe Ed will get out of the funk against St. John's, but there's no doubt he's earning his stripes day in and day out.

Sumner

It really isn't. The coaches are very cognizant of fatigue -- practices during the season get trimmed down significantly. Basically they want to maintain the guys' fitness, work on problem areas, and practice against the next opponents' movements. Most practices are surprisingly short (relatively speaking).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    No, it doesn't. See, now I am using all sorts: commas, periods, colons. I might even throw in a semicolon; they can prove useful. ;)

???????

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    It really isn't. The coaches are very cognizant of fatigue -- practices during the season get trimmed down significantly. Basically they want to maintain the guys' fitness, work on problem areas, and practice against the next opponents' movements. Most practices are surprisingly short (relatively speaking).

I'm sure the coaching staff knows how to scale back appropriately.

And I think that's a fair assessment for players who have been in the system, but the intensity of a high school practice vs. a college practice is far different, and Sumner wasn't going against size in HS like he is now.

A program like Detroit Country day probably does a pretty good job of scaling back as well.

Sumner

I think we mostly agree. It's a long season. More games AND more practices. I think it's the overall intensity of the season that can get to first year kids. The coaching staff is acutely aware of the issue and good ones (like ours) are always keeping an eye on things to make sure they don't practice the kids into the ground. But you've still gotta practice, so it's certainly not a vacation between games.

Sumner

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    ???????
    I was quoting his claim that he didn't have time for proper punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I think we mostly agree. It's a long season. More games AND more practices. I think it's the overall intensity of the season that can get to first year kids. The coaching staff is acutely aware of the issue and good ones (like ours) are always keeping an eye on things to make sure they don't practice the kids into the ground. But you've still gotta practice, so it's certainly not a vacation between games.

Yep, I think that's a good way of putting it. While the combined HS/AAU play may lead to more games, they aren't nearly as intense or physical as the college game. Couple with the practices, and you can imagine how the wall happens.

Sumner

Quote Originally Posted by nasdadjr View Post
    Not when ur at work trying to get a post out on a short ass break
    Nope, still doesn't take long. Phones have improved significantly in this regard.